Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    This will not end well.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you verified that it is the wheat, rather than the yeast?

Also, allergic reactions are not the same as intolerance, which is what you are describing.
  • Ibyzr
    Ibyzr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You could still be allergic. Celiac usually affects the lower digestive system, and test could be negative. If anything makes you sick, avoid it, no matter what the doc says.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like gluten, unless you have celiacs your reaction shouldn't be that dramatic that quickly. It might have been an additive to the crust or some kind of preservative. Manufacturers add a lot of things to their products that don't always make it on the ingredients listing or may be listed as something else which can be then broken down by your body into toxins that it cannot adapt to. Your doctor is probably right, it's not Celiac's but something else, likely a reaction to something outside of gluten.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This will not end well.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So you stated that you had a pizza crust with gluten. Have you tried anything else with gluten? Or are you just assuming based on one experience?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds more like an intolerance, but I don't know that a diagnosis would mean much to me in that position. There's no harm in avoiding wheat gluten, as such.

There's no need to get into a debate with a doctor what you think "science" was telling you. Fact is, if you were tested for a specific condition, and it came up negative. You can still have a negative physical reaction to that food. There's no real scientist who would tell you that should go ahead and eat something that makes you feel like crap just because one test came back one way or other. At least not based on what I see here.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This all happened 3 years ago. I make all my own homemade breads with and without yeast, I have gluten free pasta, bread, tortillas, rice etc. The only time I have a reaction is if something has gluten in it. From a toss of flour on a french fry before it goes into the fryer, to a bite of pasta with gluten in it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Also, allergic reactions are not the same as intolerance, which is what you are describing.

This is quite true. Allergy is different. Intollerance often doesn't show up on a test. If a food bothers you, then don't eat it. Do you really need a doctor to tell you that?

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

So, swelling isn't an allergic reaction? Hmmm. ok
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    brityn wrote: »

So, swelling isn't an allergic reaction? Hmmm. ok

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/expert-answers/food-allergy/faq-20058538
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Lol.

#didn'tendwell
    #wasn'twhatIexpected
    #straightsalty
    #noglutennolove
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    AND it got changed to pounds. FUN TIMES GUYS