I finally stopped convincing myself I am a BMI anomaly.

Most of my adult life I spent between about 155-175 lbs, at 5'6"…so, overweight. I always told myself I was more muscular than average and "athletic". While partially true, it took getting to 228 lbs in the span of less than a year, then losing down to 138 lbs to realize my full potential. I am faster. I am stronger. And I feel like I'm walking on air, energetic. I am in the best shape of my life and it took me realizing that I had been making excuses for being overweight ALL of my life. I'm not saying it's true for everybody, but the typical BMI scale is right for me.

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Myself, I am a BM anomaly. I only go once a week. :o
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    So funny you posted this. I did the same exact thing. Convinced myself that it was wrong for me and that I should be on the athletic path. Insurance companies could go suck it! My blood tests, better health, and increased endurance and agility proved me wrong.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I too! Everyone told me I was 'big-boned' (I was a young teen, and noone wanted to tell me I was chubby). I now realize that it is just about exactly on track for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Congratulations on your loss! :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    well it's a load of horse doody for me. just cos you where deluded doesn't mean everyone is.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    It's based off a sample of the population. The overweight and obese line has been hotly debated. I think it's fine to use it as a guide, but not everyone will fit neatly on the chart, but other people totally will.

Penn & Teller did an awesome piece on BMI on their show BullSh*t if anyone cares to have a good laugh and learn more about it.
  • I have insulin resistance so I had been in denial for years that I could actually lose weight so I just accepted I would be fat and alone forever. It wasn't until I started calorie counting, looking at fat content and things that I started to lose weight. BMI is bollocks anyway cos you could be a healthy weight but be short in height and still be classed as obese.