I am having a hard time letting junk food go.Does any one else have the same problem?

Options
I am having a hard time letting the junk food go.It taste so good and feels like good comfort food. I am trying to eat healthy and eating more fruits.Does anyone else have a hard time with junk food too?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What do you define as junk food? Asking as people have very different definitions.
  • castlefuzz
    castlefuzz Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    like chips candy soda licorice not fruits lol
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a friend doing this and his only eating takeout food and his eating within his limits and his loosing weight :smile:
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have it every once in a while as a treat that I make fit in my daily calories (either eating less during the day or with more exercise) so I don't feel deprived and craving it. You can eat healthily and still have it, although not usually as before. You get used to have it not so often (it was m case at least). I enjoy it when I get it and that's it, I move on and wait without actually minding it until the next day I can make the space to have it
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    really he do it?
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    Sorry how does he do it lol i cant spell lack of sleep lol
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    castlefuzz wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with these foods in moderation. If you like it, then eat it. Along with whole foods.
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    Thank you lazycatpame :)
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    thank you Kyla Denay
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give up foods you consider your favorites. But, for a lot of junk food, if you stop eating it for a while, then when you pick it up again it just doesn't taste as good. So I suggest you make a list of foods you want to cut back on - don't try to make it exhaustive, just the worst offenders - and make a goal to quit eating those foods for 1-2 months. After that you can try them and decide if you missed anything and whether you want to incorporate them back into your diet at all.

If you choose to keep eating some of that junk food, bear in mind that many people are able to incorporate "bad" foods into their diets in moderation, others find it easier to not touch them at all. Do what works for you.

Several years ago I managed to quit eating fast food for a whole year. The next time I had it, I thought it was disgusting. I have since started eating it again - more for convenience than pleasure - but I've turned more towards salads and wraps and leave the cheap hamburgers and fries alone. Some improvement is still improvement.
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    Thank you jrose1982 and to everyone I will try baby steps and start off with fruits and veggies and like and cut back on some sugar snacks thanks for the support everyone it helps :)
  • ArielStorer
    ArielStorer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My vice was and is chocolatey things. I found several different protein bars that help appease my sweet tooth. Clif, Thinkthin, Atkins, Metrx, etc. etc. make a lot of really tasty meal replacement bars.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with these foods in moderation. If you like it, then eat it. Along with whole foods.

I do this. If you make the diet too hard for yourself you will quit or binge. There is nothing wrong with the items exept you need to moerate and unless you have a deficcit there will be no weight loss. Exercise can earn you this sort of food.
  • castlefuzz
    Options
    I will try those protein bars thank you Arielstorer
  • Mlaplant1
    Mlaplant1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find as long as I stay under my calorie budget the rest of the week, I can usually have a cheat day and still lose weight. On my cheat day I will have something like a cheeseburger and fries and eat nothing else that day. Works for me, anyway.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Is it something you have issues if you have them handy? If so, maybe look to changing your environment to make them less 'convenient'. For example, buy pre-portioned packs and just keep one portion at a time in the house, or none at all. Or put them in an inconvenient place - sometimes we are a little 'mindless' when it comes to eating, but when its a pain we think about it more as to whether we want really it.

There is nothing wrong with having these items as part of an otherwise nutrient dense diet, but if they are triggering and/or you have issues with portion control, then try altering the environment to make them less convenient.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You must stop treating yourself as a special case. Why do you think so many others became overweight? They didnt have a cabbage addiction....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thank you jrose1982 and to everyone I will try baby steps and start off with fruits and veggies and like and cut back on some sugar snacks thanks for the support everyone it helps :)

I think this is a good plan. What works for me is focusing first on all the foods I'd like to be eating--getting in my protein, fruits, and vegetables, and then seeing what excess calories I have and what sounds like a good use for them (I don't like chips that much, so don't eat them, but have ice cream all the time).

It's also helpful to try pre-logging so you get a sense of what fits in your calories and can see if you are getting an overall balanced day, nutritionally.
  • 13shark77
    13shark77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Me too. But I don't eat as much as I use too. So its a progessing well each week. But still, I do like to enjoy something sweet here and there. Nothing wrong with a little. I don't plan on taking it out. So far cutting it way back is helping a lot!
  • satgirl13
    satgirl13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of my downfalls is Salt & Vinegar chips and pringles. I eat the S&V sometimes but I find the veggie chips taste a great deal like Pringles and that helps a bunch. Still no replacement for chocolate that satisfies like chocolate.