Magic the Gathering

Options
Oi_Sunshine
Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
I'm trying to find a gift for my nephew, who is an avid magic the gathering player.
I don't know which packs/expansions he has but he goes to a lot of tournaments and I was hoping to buy a rare card that would be helpful but not too customized to a certain pack, if such a thing exists. My price range is around $20-$25, as it's a Secret Santa gift and has a limit.
If it's unusable, he can always make a good trade with it, but I really want a wow factor.

Replies

• PudgyToPrincess
    PudgyToPrincess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to play MTG a LOT in highschool! If you know his deck's color, that would help a lot, since players usually focus on one or two colors only (i.e. buying someone a White [plains] card when they use a Red [Mountains] deck would be useless). The best place to look for a good gift, though, would be a card shop. :smiley: One of my favorite gifts from back when I used to be an avid player was a deck case. It held all my cards and kept them in perfect condition, even when it was just tossed into my school backpack. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts I'd gotten even though it was so simple.

But, I would definitely hit up a nearby card shop. You can google card shops in your area and find them that way! The workers there should be able to help you pick out something nice, even if it isn't a new card.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    They just released the new Commander packs, they're 34.99 each and have some great cards.

If you're wanting to go the 20-25 route that's not deck specific, look for chase Land cards. A store that sells singles can point you in the right direction.
  • ChokingDrama
    Options
    Get him a card named "Force of Will" trust me.
  • Defectee
    Options
    As an avid MTG player, I would advise against buying individual cards. There are many different accessories that make excellent gifts for a player. Consider getting your nephew a playmat, deck box, card sleeves, or the Magic 2014 Holiday Gift Box (my personal recommendation) which retails for $19.99 and is a great card storage box with definite 'wow factor'. Here's the link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/announcing-2014-holiday-gift-box-2014-09-11
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rare land cards in the colors he enjoys playing, or @Defectee was right about buying sleeves or playmats is also a great way to go!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help to get him something he'll truly want, instead of the typical socks and chocolate combo or a sweater. Lol
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    I ask for comic books instead of birthday cards, at least i'll read the comic books.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Options
    So he plays cube draft and he has pins, badges, a play mat, way me sleeves than he needs. I'm looking at a pewter dual life counter.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    Solid choice