Foraging for winter hibernation

Options
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here so I thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone else notice an increase in appetite with the drop in temps? Last year wasn't so bad, maybe because i was so far from my goal but it seems this year as soon as the temp dropped my appetite went nuts. For most of this year I have felt quite satisfied with my meals while staying very close to my daily calorie goals, however in the last week or so with the drop in temps it seems I want to eat everything in sight.

Just wondering if I'm the only one or if anyone else out there seems to be driven to put on a few winter pounds?

Replies

• Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes and yes. I am struggling at this very moment not to eat everything I can get my hands on.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This is weird...but no, when I lived in a "four seasons" locale, I would actually get much hungrier in summer. Though perhaps that would be more appropriate for "winter foraging" as it would make for a good few months of it before the cold set in?

Now that I live in SoCal, I don't notice being hungrier at any one time of year.

Perhaps part of it is emotional/cultural because we're coming up to "the holidays," which focus on a lot of eating? Just throwing that out there.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. interesting. I have had a dramatic increase in appetite lately and have been trying to control it but it is an irresistible compulsion to keep eating. I didn't think about hibernation! haha! We just got blasted with a winter storm Astro and now the temps are hovering in the teens all for highs all week and our house is FREEZING and my toes and fingers are cold all the time, maybe I am actually needing extra cals!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Winter is hard for me when the temperatures get cold. I think of all the warm yummy comfort food and that I can hide my indulges with big sweaters and scarves. I'm with you, definately notice a difference.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Not really. But I crave warm things much more. I NEVER drink coffee/tea in the summer, yet ALL my fluid in the winter comes from it. All 8 glasses. I'm petite so it's quite a challenge to stay warm. Seems like when everyone else is comfy I'm still struggling to get warm... :neutral_face:
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I want ALL TEH SOUPZ when it gets cold. Given a choice I don't think I'd eat anything solid for the entire winter. Which kind of sucks, because the husband refuses to eat soup. He doesn't see it as real food. Even stews. *sigh*
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    While we have the rare cold day, there is no snow here. But on those rare cold days, sturdy food sounds good. Meat & potatos, thick soups and casseroles seem so appropriate. All the warmth you can get!

If I'm turning on the heat, I'll probably eat something hot and filling. :)
  • bradntx
    bradntx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want ALL TEH SOUPZ when it gets cold. Given a choice I don't think I'd eat anything solid for the entire winter. Which kind of sucks, because the husband refuses to eat soup. He doesn't see it as real food. Even stews. *sigh*

Great now I'm craving Chili too!!... :smiley:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I kind of find this to be true for me. Probably because I hate the cold and don't even want to leave my house....so I eat (and cook) out of boredom.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I kind of find this to be true for me. Probably because I hate the cold and don't even want to leave my house....so I eat (and cook) out of boredom.

This. I absolutely despise cold weather and actually have mild SAD. I turn into a hermit, never leave the house, come home from work to the couch every evening and EAT.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's comfort food season.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed. I have noticed that the social calendar fills up with feasting opportunities.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's cold, record breaking cold where I live.

And I feel hungry more often for the last couple weeks. It could just be my calorie restriction is too high or I could just want to hide under the blankets with a full warm tummy and hide from sub zero temperatures.
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    Yep. Same here. It's like I'm cold so I want to eat something hot to warm me up.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, is the usual case during the winter season. You body tends to fuel up through eating more food so that it can bear the very cold temperature. It has been founded that eating high-calorie or high-fat foods during these times give a better feeling or happiness to the eaters. (Google search because I was curious too. Potential nonsense).
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I do have the urge to eat comforting, warm food, which I satisfy by switching soups for salad at lunch and also stocking up the freezer instead of stuffing my face with all the extra food. Honestly, I tend to think it's my mind playing tricks on me as a learned behavior rather than any real physical need to eat more. You know, temps drop, first flakes of snow, eat cake/potatoes/side of roast beef..
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Here are some interesting articles to peruse on the subject, if you're interested.

FWIW, I have the same issue but have found that pumping some extra Vitamin D in the form of liquid drops helps a lot, as does taking a little supplement called "5-HTP" (like St. John's Wart but w/out the side effects). But talk to your doc about that before doing it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/control-your-winter-appetite

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/19/143938954/winter-munchies-do-we-eat-more-in-colder-months

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-couch/201102/want-curb-your-binge-eating-winter-try-different-conversation-yourself
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Daylight Savings Time is what triggered it for me--the days being so short has made me absolutely crave comfort food. And I drink about 8 cups of green tea ever day just because I like to have the hot mug in my cold hands!
  • kc9284
    Options
    Cold weather stimulates thyroid hormone so an increase in your metabolism could stimulate your food cravings.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What might help a bit (if you have your cabinets closed and all the food out of sight), is going into the kitchen and making a mug of herbal tea. The action of fiddling around in there tricks my brain, more than just drinking a cup of water. My favorite: http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herbal-teas/country-peach-passion

They're sweet enough without sugar.