increase in calories seems to be working!

Options
gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
Hi everyone - I posted a week or two ago about my dilemma in whether or not I should increase my calories. I am on my feet constantly with busy family life and rarely sit down. (in addition to any exercise). I've been burning between 300-500 cals when working out 4-5 days/week. I was eating all my cals (calculated to be at 1200 cals). I had been on since February and had been very diligent (in my opinion) and not lost 1 lb. I recently decided to up my cals to 1500 (still eating exercise cals the best I can - sometimes not too good at that). But I just weighed myself after the few weeks of trying this and I have lost 1 ib. I know that might not seem like much but to me it's HUGE and has given me incentive to continue and maybe proven that I wasn't eating enough before. I hope this is the case and I don't see any gains over the next week (only weigh in 1x/wk) but it brought a smile to me and I hope this post helps with some of you that may be toying with the idea. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

:-)

Replies

• sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Congrats!!! Sometimes that's exactly what you need. When I firsts started MFP I actually gained 4 pounds in the first two weeks. Everyone kept suggesting to up my calories. It seemed so strange to me so I was a bit reluctant. After two weeks and a 4 pound gain I changed my goals and upped my calories. I dropped 3 pounds in the first week and kept dropping after that.

1 pound is a big deal!!! You should be very proud...Keep it up!!

Alesha
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss!! I've found that eating my exercise calories is an INTEGRAL part of my weight loss. Our bodies are machines, and just like you wouldn't drive your car with no gas, you shouldn't drive your body with no fuel :smile:

I'm really glad that it's working for you!!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the loss!:flowerforyou:
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss!! I've found that eating my exercise calories is an INTEGRAL part of my weight loss. Our bodies are machines, and just like you wouldn't drive your car with no gas, you shouldn't drive your body with no fuel :smile:

I'm really glad that it's working for you!!

I totally agree! not to mention I am starving on days I work out harder than others and to ignore your body's signals in the name of sticking to a rigid calorie number seems counterproductive to what we are trying to accomplish. Great job!
  • mowryann
    mowryann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Kudos on the weight loss. I have been struggling with my calories, which have apparently been too low. I then am disappointed on weigh-in day because the scale is not showing me the results I think I should be seeing, which then stresses me out. Vicious cycle. Thankfully, someone came forward and told me about increasing my caloric intake, and the formula for figuring it out. I am anxious to finish out my week of increased calories and see positive results like yours. You have encouraged me. Thank you. Maybe now the scale will become a friend rather than foe...lol~

Keep up the good work:flowerforyou:
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great timing on your post. I was given an extra 550+ calories today - due to exercise. I did not eat them all and felt like it did not seem right. I am going to try and follow what MFP says. I lost 10lbs so far - so something is working - right? BTW- I am in no way ,shape or form hungry. Oh well ..on to a new day tomorrow.