Trying to convince myself this is a good, yummy lunch..... :(

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Sorry that salad looks sad. Eat things you enjoy you should not have to convince yourself that something is good.

bacon-salad.jpg

lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    That's part of the problem.... I really don't like most vegetables, especially not fresh. The croutons, shredded cheese and bacon bits are about all I can stand in a salad - I don't even like any salad dressings. Can't stand tomatoes, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc. - I guess those are all acquired tastes that I never got. (It didn't help that my mom could make any food taste bad, and I am not kidding... even after my dad had a major stroke and couldn't move half his body, Thanksgiving was the one meal of the year mom wasn't allowed to ruin... ) But I digress. Trying to convince myself this is good & yummy.... and the fact that I two-and-a-half hours later, I was hungry again... is a challenge. Even the tuna was plain today (straight out of the can), although I do like a little bit of mayo or Miracle whip when I have it.
    -
    Stir fry!! The night before or morning depending on the work schedule. You mentioned you don't like raw veggies tossing in some chicken, seasoning, all the veggies and crunchies you hate fresh will give it a completely different taste in a stir fry.

It makes me sad when I see posts where ppl say they hate veggies, or all fruits etc.

I'm no where close to trying ALL the veggies or fruit that grow out there... so if I find something I enjoy I eat it. But I also try new ones because it's just fun to have a variety for your palate!

Never feel you have to eat from a small number of foods... it's simply not going to work to do whatever your goal on MFP is, lose, gain, maintain, bulk. So many wonderful foods to chose from and so many ways to prep them, hot, cold, .... Tons of ideas, I bet you've gotten a load of them on this thread alone!

Please understand I'm not just speaking strictly to you on the 'hating most veggies/fruits', it's amazing how many ppl come on MFP and say they can't lose weight. They share they don't eat much, hate every veggie, ever fruit and then ask what they should do. LOL

Hard to know what to say to that... Kids, they don't have the same palate as adults, it's not developed yet... but as adults, we're grown up, we can face trying out new foods, we actually might enjoy them now and wonder why we ever thought we hated them in the past. :smiley:
  • helaurin wrote: »
    That's part of the problem.... I really don't like most vegetables, especially not fresh. The croutons, shredded cheese and bacon bits are about all I can stand in a salad - I don't even like any salad dressings. Can't stand tomatoes, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc. - I guess those are all acquired tastes that I never got. (It didn't help that my mom could make any food taste bad, and I am not kidding... even after my dad had a major stroke and couldn't move half his body, Thanksgiving was the one meal of the year mom wasn't allowed to ruin... ) But I digress. Trying to convince myself this is good & yummy.... and the fact that I two-and-a-half hours later, I was hungry again... is a challenge. Even the tuna was plain today (straight out of the can), although I do like a little bit of mayo or Miracle whip when I have it.
    -

Maybe instead of salads you could try incorporating green smoothies and cooked vegetables into your diet? A thermos of green smoothie will incorporate 2-3 cups of dark leafy greens with fruit. And roasted vegetables are a completely different animal from raw or boiled (which is how many people grew up eating them). Pretty much anything tossed in a bit of olive oil, roasted and drizzled with a bit of maple syrup towards the end will be delicious (Brussels Sprouts, carrots, beets, etc...).

Another good way to get veggies in your diet is to make soup rather than salad, especially this time of year. Plus soup is very filling.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't like that either, and I love salads. I usually go with baby spinach, feta, sundried tomatoes, other veggies like green peppers and green onions, an egg or two depending where I am for calories and fat for the day, and then I add either some grilled chicken and real bacon that I cook in the oven or some ham. I also found this really great dressing at Trader Joe's, and I drizzle a tablespoon of that over the top. This is regular dressing too. I'm sorry, but I can't handle the reduced fat or fat free dressings. In fact, I don't eat reduced fat or fat free anything to be honest. There is no need to eat a plain boring salad. Switch it up. I've eaten salads like mine for months, and have lost 50 pounds. You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. And you don't even have to eat salads at all if you don't like them. Find something you do like. Experiment. It will help you stick to healthier eating long term. If you're not happy with what you're eating, you likely won't stick with it. This shouldn't feel like a punishment.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I like a salad full of veggies and full fat dressing paired with 1/2 sandwich. Volume.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mixed greens would be healthier. But they're bitter

That is simply not true. Take spinach for example. Pretty much the best of the bunch in terms of nutritional value. I dare you to honestly say that FRESH baby leaf spinach is bitter. If anything, it is slightly sweet.

It tastes bitter to me. I'm not saying it's bad and that other people can't like it. I'm saying that I don't. I don't know if I've had baby leaf, specifically, FRESH or not.

If you taste sweetness, that's great for you. I wish I did.

I'm not sure why some people can like something and others don't. Never thought about the how's and whys before. It's an interesting idea!

You cannot argue taste, though, lol. Everyone is different. :)

I wish I had saved it but I didn't, but I read an article recently about how differently people perceive tastes. One of the ideas being floated was that picky eaters are much more sensitive to bitter flavor, and so things that might not taste bitter to other people will taste that way to them. I thought it was interesting.
    Do you remember where you read it?

I am what most would call a "picky eater." I try so hard to like foods that I don't like, but (shocker) have little success. Always attributed it to being raised on total crap, but maybe I'm Bitterness-Challenged.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    luminajd wrote: »
    I love salads for lunch! The only thing I would have changed is instead of croutons, I would add some beans. The protein and fiber in them tend to keep me fuller longer than croutons. I would take your salad over bagels any day!

Right. Croutons don't get me very far. Also, ice burg is yuck and boring. Annnnd, you could put the tuna IN the salad to give it some life. There are other vegetables in the world you can add as well. Oh, and a tablespoon of real crumbled bacon is like 35-40 calories.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There's so many people here that are discouraging you from eating healthy. Of course, you should eat healthy, and it isn't wrong to enjoy it too. Iceburg lettuce isn't that good though, I'll agree. Maybe spinach next time? Possibly romaine? Add some chicken? Balsamic vinaigrette is a delicious addition to salad.

I haven't seen anyone discourage the OP from eating healthy. I have seen them discourage the OP from eating nutritionally void and tasteless calories which the OP clearly is not enjoying. How does it help to force yourself to eat something you don't like, and which also does not have the nutrition you need? Do you really feel that's how we should eat? That it's healthy?

I love salad, and eat it often, but I wouldn't eat what the OP posted either.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good ideas here.... now I know exactly what I am having for lunch tomorrow... a burger and whiskey. Screw that salad....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That is simply not true. Take spinach for example. Pretty much the best of the bunch in terms of nutritional value. I dare you to honestly say that FRESH baby leaf spinach is bitter. If anything, it is slightly sweet.

It tastes bitter to me. I'm not saying it's bad and that other people can't like it. I'm saying that I don't. I don't know if I've had baby leaf, specifically, FRESH or not.

I'm not sure why some people can like something and others don't. Never thought about the how's and whys before. It's an interesting idea!

I wish I had saved it but I didn't, but I read an article recently about how differently people perceive tastes. One of the ideas being floated was that picky eaters are much more sensitive to bitter flavor, and so things that might not taste bitter to other people will taste that way to them. I thought it was interesting.
    Do you remember where you read it?

I am what most would call a "picky eater." I try so hard to like foods that I don't like, but (shocker) have little success. Always attributed it to being raised on total crap, but maybe I'm Bitterness-Challenged.

To follow up on that... I've never read a study on it, however in culinary school it was covered many times that you have to be very careful about bitter flavors when making food for children, and that in general "picky" eaters will cotton to a lot of the foods that children like, owing to an underdeveloped sense of taste.

Which then lead to discussion about recipe development for the lowest common denominator, and that a focus on sweet over all other flavor types will increase sales...

Now, I don't think picky eaters are children, I just found that the anecdotal statements jived quite well with my professional experiences when I was a cook.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Oh, hon, this whole post makes me sad! If you don't like salads, you really don't have to eat them.

What kinds of things would you actually like to eat for lunch? Give us some suggestions and I'd bet money we can help you fit them into your calorie goals.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    No dressing? Other than the fake bacon bits, that actually doesn't sound bad. I'd lose the bacon bits and make light mustard vinaigrette dressing. Then it would a yummy lunch.

If you don't want a dressing, try adding spicy pickled vegetables for more taste.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh, hon, this whole post makes me sad! If you don't like salads, you really don't have to eat them.

What kinds of things would you actually like to eat for lunch? Give us some suggestions and I'd bet money we can help you fit them into your calorie goals.

I never learned to like vegetables; partially experience (frankly, my mom was a terrible cook) and partially it's the psychological impact of the memories of being forced to eat some of that which she made - which sometimes made us violently ill. I mean, even the dog wouldn't eat some of her cooking, and I'm not kidding. Once we were saved from eating her cooking for a couple of days because whatever she was making caught on fire and the whole oven burnt out before I could get the fireman who lived down the street to come put the fire out (she wouldn't call the fire company... flames shooting out of the oven, and she was worried about what the neighbors would think if they saw a firetruck come to our house!)

Anyhow....

The problem is the kinds of foods I love to eat for lunch... macaroni and cheese; grilled cheese sandwich (with bacon, no less); cheesesteak; pizza; lo mein (with beef, or chicken or shrimp or all three), etc... are all really terrible foods for someone trying to lose weight. It doesn't help that my boyfriend can pretty much eat whatever he wants and not have to worry about his weight, so when he asks for one of my special grilled cheeses.... we're talking about butter in the pan, a slice of bread on that, three slices of cheese on that, add on 3 slices of bacon (already cooked), add three slices of cheese on top of the bacon, add a piece of bread on that.... cook one side, flip it, and then add three more slices of cheese, 3 more slices of bacon and three more slices of cheese and another slice of bread.. when that side is done, flip again and do the 3rd slice of bread. Yes, that's the "special grilled cheese" in our house - 3 slices of bread, 6 slices of bacon, and 12 slices of cheese, all browned in butter. I do most of the cooking in the house - as in 99%, unless you count him heating any prepacked frozen foods in the microwave as cooking.

And dinner.... I can - when I'm being "bad" - wolf down an 18 ounce prime rib with no problem. Or the chinese buffet - lots of crab legs, shrimp, rice, egg drop soup, spare ribs.... yum yum.

finding a way to make vegetables palatable is, for me, a challenge. I can manage some celery and carrots if they are buried in a stew. Of course, the gravy kills that.

And I love breads.... for example, the biscuits at Red Lobster... yum... actually, triple yum. The brown bread at Outback.... yum also.

So I need ideas that work. I'm trying to keep my daily calorie level in the 1200 - 1400 range.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I never learned to like vegetables; partially experience (frankly, my mom was a terrible cook) and partially it's the psychological impact of the memories of being forced to eat some of that which she made - which sometimes made us violently ill. I mean, even the dog wouldn't eat some of her cooking, and I'm not kidding. Once we were saved from eating her cooking for a couple of days because whatever she was making caught on fire and the whole oven burnt out before I could get the fireman who lived down the street to come put the fire out (she wouldn't call the fire company... flames shooting out of the oven, and she was worried about what the neighbors would think if they saw a firetruck come to our house!)

Anyhow....

The problem is the kinds of foods I love to eat for lunch... macaroni and cheese; grilled cheese sandwich (with bacon, no less); cheesesteak; pizza; lo mein (with beef, or chicken or shrimp or all three), etc... are all really terrible foods for someone trying to lose weight. It doesn't help that my boyfriend can pretty much eat whatever he wants and not have to worry about his weight, so when he asks for one of my special grilled cheeses.... we're talking about butter in the pan, a slice of bread on that, three slices of cheese on that, add on 3 slices of bacon (already cooked), add three slices of cheese on top of the bacon, add a piece of bread on that.... cook one side, flip it, and then add three more slices of cheese, 3 more slices of bacon and three more slices of cheese and another slice of bread.. when that side is done, flip again and do the 3rd slice of bread. Yes, that's the "special grilled cheese" in our house - 3 slices of bread, 6 slices of bacon, and 12 slices of cheese, all browned in butter. I do most of the cooking in the house - as in 99%, unless you count him heating any prepacked frozen foods in the microwave as cooking.

And dinner.... I can - when I'm being "bad" - wolf down an 18 ounce prime rib with no problem. Or the chinese buffet - lots of crab legs, shrimp, rice, egg drop soup, spare ribs.... yum yum.

finding a way to make vegetables palatable is, for me, a challenge. I can manage some celery and carrots if they are buried in a stew. Of course, the gravy kills that.

And I love breads.... for example, the biscuits at Red Lobster... yum... actually, triple yum. The brown bread at Outback.... yum also.

So I need ideas that work. I'm trying to keep my daily calorie level in the 1200 - 1400 range.

My husband is about like you-- peas are about the only green thing I've seen him eat. So, two thoughts. First, just lighten up the things you're used to eating. That's how I started out and that's what I do for him now since he's cutting. I think your calorie goal probably doesn't need to be quite so low, and you can exercise for a few extras. But, for example, you can still make grilled cheese. Just halve the butter, get a thin cut bacon, a lower calorie bread, and only do one "layer." Although, I will say that your boyfriend's version sounds amazing and I may have to try it later.

I've learned that most recipes that call for oil really don't need as much as they say they do. You can usually use less cheese too. But mostly, just control your portions.

Have you tried roasting your veggies or hiding them in soups and casseroles? I can even get my husband to eat some veggies if I puree them up into a nice creamy tomato basil soup for example.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a similar calorie goal and eat regular food that I like. Some foods I need to alter a bit or have a smaller portion of. Pre-logging my meals for the whole day has been super helpful in making sure everything fits my calorie goal. I often eat leftovers or a sandwich for lunch.
    If you want to work more vegetables in I would experiment with cooking them differently. A roasted or grilled vegetable can taste pretty different than a boiled or raw vegetable. You might put them in a stir fry or a soup. One of my vegetable hating dd's favorite meals is minestrone soup.

budgetbytes.com
    molliekatzen.com/archives.php
    laptoplunches/bento-menus-season/Allseasons/
    kalynskitchen.com/p/blog-page.html
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing with lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Yum! There are also recipes online to make your own italian dressings and such.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That is interesting. I pride myself on not being picky (although there are some odd things I dislike, usually due to texture or associations), and I actually tend to find that foods that are described as bitter are ones I like a lot. Maybe it is a lack of sensitivity.

(As an aside, my sister dislikes most spicy foods and is convinced that people who like them just aren't sensitive enough.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Have you experimented with cooking them yourself? My mother is not the greatest cook, and we had lots of canned veggies when I was a kid, and when I finally had fresh veggies cooked correctly and learned to do it myself it made all the difference. That and just trying a wider variety of them. (For example, canned green beans, ugh. One of the worst parts of dinner when I was a child. But fresh green beans sauteed a bit with some olive oil is one of my favorite things ever.)

Since you mention liking prime rib, a reasonable portion of some deliciously-cooked meat with nicely-prepared veggies on the side might be a way to start. You can take a bite that includes both, to ease yourself into it.

Roasting veggies is often a good way for people to learn they like them, too. Makes them especially delicious. Because it's fall I've been roasting root veggies like carrots and parsnips and turnips and celeriac all together. Those are sometimes an easy option for people, as they can be sweeter and more like, I don't know, a potato than the veggies people think of. And I like adding roasted root veggies to a salad too.

It's not really the time of year for it (if you are in the northern hemisphere), but I always recommend that people go to a farmers market and walk around to get sold on fresh veggies. You often see really appealing-looking produce and get to get ideas on how to prepare them from people who are enthusiastic. It's more psychological than anything else, but it is part of how I convinced myself that vegetables were fun and exciting and delicious.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Most people who don't like vegetables were exposed to one or two preparations as kids (canned or boiled), and those are disgusting. I love vegetables, and I won't eat them canned or boiled. They taste like cardboard, at best, or feet, and the texture is horrible.

Conversely, anything tastes better if you add some olive oil and salt/pepper/spices and roast it in the oven until the outside gets caramelized. This works really well for cauliflower, green beans, broccoli and sweet potatoes (my favorites), but carrots work well too. Some people who don't like cooked vegetables like raw vegetables better. What about carrot sticks dipped into ranch dressing, onion dip or hummus?

There's also absolutely nothing wrong with hiding your vegetables in other things. Stew/soup is great for this. I always add peas or carrots to my mac and cheese, and usually throw some chopped up tomatoes on top.

Eating vegetables isn't required for weight loss, though. If they're something you're really hung up about, take that stress away and stop worrying about them for now. You can lose weight eating exactly what you were eating before, just less of it.

For your lunches, I would take that tuna and turn it into a tuna salad sandwich or wrap, or eat it on crackers. Maybe make it an open-face sandwich if you'd rather have one slice of thicker bread instead of two slices of thinner bread. You can make it with light mayo, plain greek yogurt or hummus (or a combination of any of those) to lighten it up. Add some carrot or apple slices as your side.

Do you like soup? There are a ton of low-calorie soups that are pretty filling that you could take to work. I make a (kind of trashy, but still good) work grilled cheese by toasting the bread and then adding the cheese and microwaving the sandwich until it's melted. You could experiment with different variations on grilled cheese -- mozzarella with some chopped up sundried tomatoes and fresh basil or a few spinach leaves is really good.