Restuarant Suggestions while Traveling

Options
anlenz
anlenz Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
I'm traveling for work next week which will be my first trip away since I've been on my "diet". Any suggestions for dining locations that have good healthy options (not just salads, a girl can only have so many salads in a week; breakfast, lunch, and dinner will all be eaten out) since I will be on the road and in-and-out of airports for five days?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Most of your low calorie choices will be in the ballpark of 400-600 calories but will make up for missing flavor with sodium, so give it a few days to lose the retained water. I think pretty much every restaurant has highlighted low calorie items now, but if you hit up local fare it might be a little more difficult. I'd try to pack your own snacks and stuff too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Look up chains, they usually have nutrition information online.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    anlenz wrote: »
    I'm traveling for work next week which will be my first trip away since I've been on my "diet". Any suggestions for dining locations that have good healthy options (not just salads, a girl can only have so many salads in a week; breakfast, lunch, and dinner will all be eaten out) since I will be on the road and in-and-out of airports for five days?

Hard to suggest locations without knowing where you're going
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Depends what you are doing. If going out to a sit down restaurant with clients, there are reasonable chicken/fish dishes at most chain places on their lighter menu.

If fast food, Chick-Fil-A grilled nuggets with (now available!) chicken tortilla soup, El Pollo Loco chicken meals, or Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich with chili for the side are easy to fit in to daily goals and have excellent macros.
  • anlenz
    Options
    Hard to suggest locations without knowing where you're going
    [/quote]

I'll be in mostly in the Great Lakes region of the United States.
  • anlenz
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I know I can find most of the nutritional information online. I was asking more to see if people had recommendations for chains that might be better than others from their experience.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think all chains are pretty much the same. Although most (like The Cheesecake Factory) offer low-cal menu options. Maybe pack some protein bars, and mostly just stay away from fried foods. Seafood is usually lower in calories and fat than most meat items. Try to avoid pasta and too much bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I know I can find most of the nutritional information online. I was asking more to see if people had recommendations for chains that might be better than others from their experience.

My favorites are Cheesecake Factory, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, pretty much any steakhouse, Panera, Chipotle, Uno, Chili's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill.

I stay away from Perkins and Bob Evans.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If you pass a Wholefoods, they have buffets that you can choose your own stuff. I usually just buy my own in a grocery store when I travel TBH, except if I have meetings/dinners which are already organized. I do like trying new dishes though, so sure go with the chains, but you can always go to a few different places and have a go at practicing making good choices on your own, which can be kinda scary but also fun.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Oh - if you're staying at a place that serves a "Continental Breakfast" stick with the fruit and whole wheat toast if they have it. Or maybe Cheerios with a little skim milk.
  • anlenz
    Options

My favorites are Cheesecake Factory, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, pretty much any steakhouse, Panera, Chipotle, Uno, Chili's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill.

Thanks for the recommendations. My husband and I rarely eat out so I don't really know what's available anymore.
  • maddy1900
    maddy1900 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always ask if I can have my food grilled. Chicken and Salmon are good grilled. I also ask for steamed items, like veggies and rice. Watch out for fried foods and pasta dishes. Do your research on local restaurants and pick them carefully.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Thanks for the recommendations. My husband and I rarely eat out so I don't really know what's available anymore.
    Cracker Barrel has one too, as well as Denny's (they have low cal breakfast too) but I can't say I enjoyed either of them very much :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are stuck in an airport, you can probably find a Starbucks oatmeal & Dunkin Donuts Egg White Flatbread. McDonalds and others have some o.k. salads as long as you watch for the calories in the dressings and the cheeses.
    Some breakfast options in a restaurant include eggs, lean meats like canadian bacon, fruit.