Frozen VS Cooked question

Options
Alright people I recently finally bought a scale and have weighing my food. I had a burger, on the box it shows the serving is 4oz for one, thing is when I cook it, it goes all the way down to 2oz. Should I log it in 4oz or 2oz (aka 1/2 serving)? Will the nutritional info still be accurate?

thanks

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That is some major shrinkage. Do you know the fat/lean percentage? The database shows all kinds, 85% lean, 91% lean, etc. and some show calories based on uncooked weight, others cooked weighh. Personally I go by what the box says and don't weigh it after cooking.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    There are entries for raw and cooked, although I just weigh it raw and go with that.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What kind of crap burger are you cooking that loses 50% of its weight when cooked?!
  • glevinso
    Options
    But to answer your question, unless the box specified cooked, the data is for raw.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Go exactly by the box -- the 4 ounces raw.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The information on prepackaged foods is for the state that you bought it in. So it's 4oz.

You shold also consider weighing the others in the box while raw/frozen just to see if they are actually 4oz. I weigh all foods, including prepackaged, and most of it is off. Only thing I stopped weighing if I eat it all is my rice cakes and canned tuna (which I still will weigh from habit though sometimes when eating half the can). Also e.g. jello/pudding I no longer weigh because they are pretty bang-on. But everything else, I weigh, whether it's fresh or not. So the burger might have only been 3.2oz or something, not 4.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Lol... I got flagged for pointing out real meat shouldn't lose 50% of it's weight when cooked? Nice guys... Nice...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Lol... I got flagged for pointing out real meat shouldn't lose 50% of it's weight when cooked? Nice guys... Nice...

Perhaps they didn't like your choice of words.