Thanksgiving Survival Strategies

Replies

• melsal9902
    melsal9902 Posts: 11 Member
    luluinca wrote: »
    The way I see it, it's basically one day a year and I might as well eat what I enjoy. Having said that, I try to stay away from the leftovers..................well, okay, I may have a sandwich and leftover stuffing w/gravy on Friday but after that, I'll be done.

I'm cooking and it's weird but by the time I'm done and get everything on the table I'm just not that hungry..............until dessert rolls around and suddenly I'm famished.

Just do the best you can, it's only one or two days. I usually try to hit the gym on Wed, Thurs, and Friday just for extra measure!

Like any other party meal, it's what you do afterwards that really counts!

I totally agree with this....it is only one day. I just make sure I exercise and get in a workout at least 2 days prior and 2 days after. I try for no "Skip" days. around this time of year

• Witchykaite
    Witchykaite Posts: 60 Member
    I plan on making sure to hit the gym everyday for my normal workout(including Turkey day before driving to my aunts) and cutting back on some of my cals throughout the week. On Turkey Day itself, I'm just logging in my Starbucks latte I have on my drive(kinda a tradition) and then putting in 5000 calories and calling it a day. My goal for the week is to just not gain anything, not necessarily lose any weight. Its once a year, so I'm not worrying that much.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    I'm planning to eat pretty much whatever, though I do think I will naturally eat a little less than what I have in the past at this meal just because my appetite is not as big! I do all the cooking but I prefer to stick to the usual recipes rather than try to make things "healthier" – I want to enjoy the real deal.

I do plan to walk/run my own single-person Turkey Trot later in the day! It will be nice to get some fresh air after being in the kitchen all morning, not to mention just get my body moving and shaking things up. This will be a new tradition for me.

Leftovers will likely be the biggest challenge, but even there I just plan to portion things out as best I can and get back on my usual track the following days. I don't think it's a big deal, to be honest.

I hope that everyone is able to enjoy the holiday, no matter how they choose to deal with it!

xo
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    I just finished doing all of the estimates for the dinner I'm putting together for my parents (and which we'll be eating a different day). My dad has some special dietary considerations due to his medical issues, and I wanted to make a somewhat "lighter" spread for the holiday. Dad also requested something "different" instead of the usual turkey, stuffing etc. So here's what I came up with:
    - Crown lamb roast
    - Mashed cauliflower
    - Baked sweet potatoes
    - Cloverleaf rolls
    - Roast brussels sprouts with blue cheese, cranberries and pecans in a balsamic dressing

For dessert we'll have baked apples and pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies.

I added up the calories and it comes out to roughly 1,000 calories (assuming you eat a full serving of each thing...but you probably wouldn't if you're putting it all on one plate, idk) which is about a third of the "average" Thanksgiving meal, I think.

Anyway. I'm pretty excited for it. The jury's still out on whether or not we'll go to the in-laws for their Thanksgiving, which will be much more traditional. Gotta see what the weather's going to do.
  • My family might go out to a buffet for Thanksgiving, so...that sucks. If that's what we wind up doing, I'll just have to take smaller portions of things than I normally would, eat slower, and go for the healthier desserts like fruit rather than all of the cakes and pies. I'm going to eat the non-dessert foods I want more or less, but I'm not giving myself a free pass to eat as much as I can manage either.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    I'm gonna hit the gym in the morning. I'm not going to worry about the calorie count for Thanksgiving dinner, I didn't last year when I still had 30 lbs to lose, I call it a pressure relief. Now, on Friday I'm back to the program strictly.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    There will only be 5 of us at dinner.Not sure of the calorie count untill I total up food eaten.A holiday meal.....to me.....is no different than eating out anywhere.Knowing the calories will be a bit high,don't stuff myself,pick & choose from lots of good food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    This will be my third Thanksgiving while maintaining. My strategy in general is to eat, enjoy the day (and the amazing food), and not worry too much about calories. I do try to be reasonable-- I only eat the things I really want (none of my grandma's canned asparagus casserole :sick:) and I only eat until I'm full. I usually log but not with much precision. I also don't generally bring home leftovers. Since we don't have dinner here it usually works out that way anyway.

Despite going well over my normal calories on days like Thanksgiving and Christmas I always end up right back in my normal maintenance range a few days later, so I don't stress about it.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    I have two dinners to attend..so I'll probably swap my big breakfast for a big dinner. I'm also going to make a sugar free dessert to take with me for my diabetic aunt and my hypoglycemic self. I can't have stuffing, cranberry sauce, or mashed potatoes anyway so I should be fine. I won't be weighing my food. Thursday isn't a rest day so I'll have exercise calories to eat as a buffer. :)
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    mmm pie! I am going to eat turkey, vegetables and sweet potatoes and a piece of pie. I am cooking so I think that I can manage to keep the damage low and still enjoy one day of eating lovely yummy food. I will be going to the gym that morning and the next day as well
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    fenshae wrote: »
    I just finished doing all of the estimates for the dinner I'm putting together for my parents (and which we'll be eating a different day). My dad has some special dietary considerations due to his medical issues, and I wanted to make a somewhat "lighter" spread for the holiday. Dad also requested something "different" instead of the usual turkey, stuffing etc. So here's what I came up with:
    - Crown lamb roast
    - Mashed cauliflower
    - Baked sweet potatoes
    - Cloverleaf rolls
    - Roast brussels sprouts with blue cheese, cranberries and pecans in a balsamic dressing

For dessert we'll have baked apples and pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies.

I added up the calories and it comes out to roughly 1,000 calories (assuming you eat a full serving of each thing...but you probably wouldn't if you're putting it all on one plate, idk) which is about a third of the "average" Thanksgiving meal, I think.

Anyway. I'm pretty excited for it. The jury's still out on whether or not we'll go to the in-laws for their Thanksgiving, which will be much more traditional. Gotta see what the weather's going to do.

Umm.. Can I come eat with your family? Haha. That sounds delicious!!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I plan to continue to not have to worry about Thanksgiving because I'm not American ;)
    ...but if I did (this is what I'll do for Christmas) I'm not going to worry about it. It's one day and there's no reason we can't get right back on track afterwards. Though my family eat a lot on Boxing Day too, so two days >.> it's not going to make me gain more than a few pounds of mostly water weight.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    We will have two, one the Sunday before and one on the day of. For the Sunday before we will be at future in laws...I will exercise in the morning and watch portions. For the one on the day, I am cooking. Luckily when I cook the meal by the time I eat I am not hungry after smelling the food all day. I will have steamed shrimp for an appetizer. I love shrimp and its low cal. I can eat that with veggies and fill up before the meal.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Since one of my kids is working and the other is spending the holiday with her in-laws, I will survive Thanksgiving by working...and packing a lunch/dinner. With retail, nursing, fire fighting and law enforcement all covered, we seldom have holidays off together so I often volunteer to do duty exchanges with co-workers who have small kids at home so they can be with their little ones. :)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,385 Member
    I'm one of those that's doing TWO dinners that day.

I'm going to take a little of all the things I love, and skip the things that I could do without (my dad never makes homemade mashed potatoes, so they're nothing special, etc)

As far as logging- I may not bother, just because it would all be estimates anyway. Or I might, just for the novelty of knowing what I might be consuming.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    my strategy is going to be eat a little less main course, so I can crush the all the pies….

seriously, it is one day a year…enjoy the day with family and friends, and eat, drink, and be merry without having to worry about calories, and then get back on track the next day...
  • ShermLawner
    ShermLawner Posts: 1 Member
    I'll be sharing the dinner with 30+ folks at my sons home, so I think I can control myself and eat reasonably. However, when the desserts come out I am afraid my discipline will go out the window. I have reached about half of my goal in weight loss and don't want to throw this opportunity away. A saving grace here is that he has a full gym and I may be able to save the day, or I can have my jaw sewed shut for the week.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    My strategies:

1. Pick one of the days/meals to go overboard. I have a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday and another one on Saturday. The Thursday one is with Mormon family, so there won't be alcohol. I've decided that Saturday will be my day of excess[ive wine].
    2. Make good decision the rest of the day. In my family, Thanksgiving Dinner is served around 1 or 2 pm. You don't really eat beforehand. Beforehand there's tea and coffee and light fare like celery with cream cheese or a bit of shortbread. I'll stick with that plan and fast in the morning.
    3. Exercise. I am going to make an effort to get an extra workout on Monday or Tuesday (swing dance or zumba, depending on class schedules). Weather permitted, I plan on taking a long hike with our dogs on Thursday and Saturday.
    4. Eat until full, not stuffed. Instead of loading my plate and challenging myself to finish it, I'm going to start with smaller portions and then only go back for seconds of my absolute favorites.
    5. Focus on conversations and catching up. Instead of shoveling food, I'm going to try to talk to all of my friends/relatives as much as possible.

These have been my techniques for all "endless food" gatherings as of late, which has served me well.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    I'll be in Missouri with the in-laws.... i don't think there will be a vegetable on the spread if I don't prep it myself... i'll probably get some nasty looks, but I'm not eating any chicken or red meat at the moment and don't tolerate dairy or gluten. So, I'll be busy cooking some healthy sides that won't put my system in distress! Cauliflower Puree. Baked Pumpkin puree with pecan crumble, etc.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I don't think the food itself is the problem, I think it's the culture of stuffing ourselves silly that's come to be associated with this holiday. As I've "re-trained" my brain around food issues over the past couple of years, this meal won't be any different than any other. Moderate portions, balance things out with some exercise.