Needing Help

Options
In August of 2013 I decided to make a life change. I gave up soda, fast food, and went on a strict meal plan. I also started a strict workout plan. I completed two 5Ks since then. I had lost 89lbs. About three months ago I came to the realization that the position that brought me to the company that I currently work for was never going to be mine. I came to find out that it was a way to get me on board never having plan to actually give me the position. It sent me into a downward spiral. I started eating fast food which I hadn't touched in over a year. I also completely stopped going to the gym. Now I want to get back on track but can't seem to find the energy or the drive to actually do it. I've even gone as far as to buy the items for my meal plan but then I don't use them. I don't want to turn back into the man I once was on the verge of weighing 500lbs. I want to again feel happy and be on my journey in the right direction.

Replies

• HisStrengthCounselor
    Options
    A lot of us who struggle with losing/maintaining a healthy weight has to do with our bad relationship with food. We use food to deal with stress/disappointments. What led you to make a life change in Aug of 2013? Remember why you wanted to change in the first place. Deal with underlying emotions related to the job situation in other ways than food/not working out. You can't wait on your feelings to get you started. Your feelings are influenced by what your thinking. Think and Do, sometimes we just have to DO because our thinking is sometimes distorted and not helpful. Go to the gym, don't think about it. With eating set mini goals to get back eating healthy. Don'[t beat yourself up, things happen, the good thing is you have a new day to DO something different. Don't live in the past, just learn from it, and make better decisions today. Hope this helps.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The recidification rate for people losing weight is really high. I hope you can get hold of yourself. Also, the drop out rate doe people who start exercising is 50%. I don't mean to be negative. These are the facts. ou can either be a failure statistic or a success statistic.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Things happen in life and that's not always up to you to change them work wise. I'm sure though that the motivation for your weight loss had little or nothing to do with work. Its not only a matter of looks anymore. that much weight is harmful and dangerous so you need to keep eating better and working out for yourself. I suggest you keep some healthy food at reach at all times, and also water , if you eat a lot of healthy foods there's gonna be a lot less room for junk food. and as for the gym, if you don't feel like it, fine, put on your sports wear and go out for a power walk or a run. soon enough you will start liking it and will feel better. you can do this!!! for your body and self-esteem. Good Luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    time to sign up for a 10K next summer :D
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    TAGSSKEE1 wrote: »
    A lot of us who struggle with losing/maintaining a healthy weight has to do with our bad relationship with food. We use food to deal with stress/disappointments. What led you to make a life change in Aug of 2013? Remember why you wanted to change in the first place. Deal with underlying emotions related to the job situation in other ways than food/not working out. You can't wait on your feelings to get you started. Your feelings are influenced by what your thinking. Think and Do, sometimes we just have to DO because our thinking is sometimes distorted and not helpful. Go to the gym, don't think about it. With eating set mini goals to get back eating healthy. Don'[t beat yourself up, things happen, the good thing is you have a new day to DO something different. Don't live in the past, just learn from it, and make better decisions today. Hope this helps.

THIS I totally agree with. Lots of times it's what I do: don't think, just DO. Yes, we need to formulate a well-thought out plan, but once that is done just implement it. Just do it. Don't stop and ask yourself what you feel like eating or if you feel like working out. Not an option. Just DO.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Don't let anything stop you, even yourself. When you were eating well and exercising, would you have allowed anyone to stop you? Now the thing that jumps out at me is you said that you were on a *strict* eating plan and a *strict* exercise plan. The problem with "strict" is that is difficult to stick to long term. You could certainly lose weight by being a little less strict. Set a reasonable calorie deficit, not an extreme one, and allow yourself any type of food in moderation which fits into the calorie goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What strikes me about your original plan is the repetition of the word "strict." How about trying something a little more fun this time. Don't just sign up for a 5k, sign up for a color run or a muddy run.

The same for diet, use discipline and moderation, rather than "strict." I also find that if I start with one thing I know I am supposed to be doing, I will start doing the others within a few weeks. For example, if I get more exercise, I will soon start thinking how much easier this would be if I were eating the right foods and weighed a bit less.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you get back on board with working on yourself, it can only help. You're young! There are other companies and other jobs that would value you and treat you better! But first... you have to treat YOURSELF well.

Take care of yourself, and see where it takes you! (*)
  • kevdawg86
    kevdawg86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I guess strict wasn't really the best word to use. It was strict in the sense no fast food or junk but also allowed for a cheat meal each week. It's really what's necessary for me as I'm not real familiar without a good plan in front of me. I finally took that big step in telling my trainer (and very good friend since childhood) about me falling off the wagon. He's now working with me to get me back on track. I know I can do this. It takes a huge amount of support not only from others but from myself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself.

If it were me, then I would figure out a way of compartmentalising my diet and fitness from everything else. I would know why I was dieting and all the positive changes it makes. The reason to compartmentalise it is to stip the daily turmoil of life blowing you off course. You have understandably let work and how you feel be too closely linked to whether or not you got to the gym or not.

Comfort eating will cathc up with you and only cause problems further down the line.

Its great you have your friend who knows you to help.

At the same time as re engaging with diet and exercise, then you need to look at your career. If there is no future for you there, then start planning your escape, brush off your cv and start looking. Dont let it pull you down.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your friend and trainer is on board now. The weight and health side of things should resolve themselves.
    With regards to the disappointment in your job, talk through your expectations with some one.
    You obviously chose to work for the company with the expectations of a promotion into your preferred job. Look at why you think this is not going to happen.
    Was it a false promise from the company?
    Do you need to upgrade your skill set? Are you and the company on divergent paths?
    These are issues that can be solved.
    If you can look at the problem in the abstract I am sure you will find that you can either up you attraction ( skill set, shift or location availability etc) so you will be moved into the position you desire, or decide the position you desire can be found in another company.
    Just remember work is transitory and only a means to an end.
    Your health is your life.
    Hope everything works out.
    Cheers, h