Weights/weight machines for rehabing a rotator cuff injury?

Options
I went to physical therapy for my shoulder, it's much better now but I need to continue the progress with weights/weight machines. Any suggestions of what is good and not good? I know using a row machine is very good for it, but not sure what else.

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There are various types of rotator cuff injuries. The advice of your PT and surgeon are better suited to your particulars than any crap you read on the internet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What did your physical therapist suggest you do?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't overdo it.

Follow the advice the doctor and PT gave you. If you can get away with healing and not have to have surgery, be thrilled!

And for the love of God, don't get health advice on the Internet!! (It's usually terrible advice.)

Hope you're back to normal soon! :)
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Your PT, if you had one, would recommend a few simple exercises, such as internal and external rotation cable pulls.

Here's a link. http://www.peakperformanceompt.com/2014/07/what-is-the-rotator-cuff/

Keep the weight extremely low, like 10-15 pounds or less, on the cables. You can strengthen the muscles with very light weight. Also, adding these type of exercises into any routine can work to prevent shoulder injury when doing compound lifts, like bench press and overhead press.

(not every question requires a medical degree to answer; a little knowledge about anatomy and physiology goes a long way)
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My tears did a 2x as much "pushing" actions as "pulling" actions, and I dropped weights to start to 30% of preinjury weight. I think I was back to normal in 3 months, but mine were "micro" tears, nothing that needed surgery.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Get some light resistance-bands and do band-pull aparts. Start with 50 reps / day and then move up to 100-reps until you feel more confident in the health of your shoulder.