Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lost 13lbs in first week!

I cant believe it!
I have never gone over calories, and exercised (walking) every day, but 13lbs is an amazing (if unhealthy?) loss.
I've just recalculated my intake targets and I've been reduced by over a third to lose my last 5kg.
This will b tricky,

Replies

• HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Way to go! (:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Good for you - the trick is to keep going when you're losing 2, 1, 0.5 or maintaining or increasing weight

Weight loss is not linear ...and water levels, exercise, sodium, hormones can all change the scale level

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get where your want

(Oh and take pictures and measurements too)

• Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Wow, great for you ! Well done !
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Wow, big grats on that. Thats amazing, great result. Keep going

I do agree with 'rabbitjb' however. i assumed it would be same every week, especially if I ate the same amounts and exercised the same amount.

Soon found out, it's not linear for various reasons, most of which i don't understand.

My first week I easily lost 3lbs, second week, half pound. How disappointed was I that second week!

Stay strong though those less than encouraging times :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Rockstar! Congrats on your progress.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It is common to lose more the first week because you're stuffing yourself with less food, but usually not 13lbs. People generally carry around less than five lbs of food in their digestive tract. But the body retains water at times (usually to heal itself), and that can account for several lbs. 13 lbs does seem unusually high, but it is too soon to recalculate the calorie deficit based on weight loss.
  • Ive tweaked it a bit and now aiming for 1/2lb loss a week. That way it has given me 1700 cals a day which is achievable. 1200 is out of the question.
    I will see how I get on this week, but dont expect to lose more than a lb or so.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Nice job!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    That's a ton. Don't expect that to keep up. The rate of loss will slow down. Some weeks, you may not lose at all.

Stick with it!
  • Well - I said it would all go wrong!
    - Weighed today and I have put on 2kg???!!!

God knows how this has happened!

Don't worry, Ill keep plugging on

• Mudler
    I'm guessing you didn't put on 2lbs.
    There are lots of reasons, why this could happen.
    Most obviously would be your scales but I'm sure thats the first thing you checked.
    Water retentions seems to be a common one as well. Something to do with salt causing your body to retain water.
    Lots of people on this site understand that far better than I do. Just learning all this myself.

One thing I have learnt is ......well that I know very little, LOL and there is a LOT more to this than eating some lettuce equals you lose weight, far more complicated that that.

The main thing is, don't over analyse too closely your weekly weight gains or losses. Use your weekly measurements more as a guide and longer periods, like a Month or something as a more accurate way of measuring your overall progress
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Don't stress over the day-to-day weight gain. Your weight fluctuates because of exercise, food, water and hormones. Ahhh, the hormones! :wink:

You can track your day-to-day weight over a couple of months to get a feel for how your body responds to things. I'm a nerd who set up a spread sheet for this. :smile: But I used my weekly Monday weigh-ins to track my weight loss. Those were the ones that "counted."

It's really easy to get lost in the numbers on the scale--please don't let that be your focus. measurements and pics mean a lot. And how your clothes fit. And how you feel. It can be really easy to let them number on the scale decide your mood. You're the one in control--not the scale (it can just be hard to remember that).

It's a marathon, not a sprint. You've got such a fantastic initial start to motivate you--keep it up. No one loses consistently all the time from day-to-day or week-to-week. No one. The overall changes are what count. :smiley:
  • Mudler
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Don't stress over the day-to-day weight gain. Your weight fluctuates because of exercise, food, water and hormones. Ahhh, the hormones! :wink:

You can track your day-to-day weight over a couple of months to get a feel for how your body responds to things. I'm a nerd who set up a spread sheet for this. :smile: But I used my weekly Monday weigh-ins to track my weight loss. Those were the ones that "counted."

It's really easy to get lost in the numbers on the scale--please don't let that be your focus. measurements and pics mean a lot. And how your clothes fit. And how you feel. It can be really easy to let them number on the scale decide your mood. You're the one in control--not the scale (it can just be hard to remember that).

It's a marathon, not a sprint. You've got such a fantastic initial start to motivate you--keep it up. No one loses consistently all the time from day-to-day or week-to-week. No one. The overall changes are what count. :smiley:

Wow, absolutely spot on. Listen to this lady, possibly the best and wisest advice I've seen on this MFP thing since I joined, brilliant!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited November 2014
    TransTina wrote: »
    Well - I said it would all go wrong!

Honestly? Your 13lb loss in the first week was probably mostly water weight. So I wouldn't worry that you've gained more fat, but unfortunately, a lot of the scale weight you lost wasn't fat, either. When people first start, they generally do a major overhaul on their diets and start working out. They start eating "healthy" foods, which are often lower in carbs and sodium. Carbs and sodium won't make you fat, but they can cause water retention. Working out can deplete glycogen stores and cause a loss, too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Honestly? Your 13lb loss in the first week was probably mostly water weight. So I wouldn't worry that you've gained more fat, but unfortunately, a lot of the scale weight you lost wasn't fat, either. When people first start, they generally do a major overhaul on their diets and start working out. They start eating "healthy" foods, which are often lower in carbs and sodium. Carbs and sodium won't make you fat, but they can cause water retention. Working out can deplete glycogen stores and cause a loss, too.

+1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Congrats, but keep things in perspective...don't get your expectations out of whack...big early losses are largely water and waste. Most people "clean" up their diets...and as I_Will_end_You stated, reduce carbs and salt intake which can lead to big water losses. The fact that you're consuming less food in general means you have less waste in your system.

I don't want to be discouraging at all, but I do want you to keep some perspective here.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    TransTina wrote: »
    Well - I said it would all go wrong!

water fluctuations can easily explain this variance. my weight regularly goes up and down about 3kg, sometimes in less than 24 hours.
  • Thanks ever so much for your comments.
    I have been here before with the fluctuations, but never put 2KG on in a week. Mind you, I have never lost 5KG in a week before either!
    As I said, I will keep plugging at it.
    I feel better, and can tell I have lost weight without measuring anything, so that's my main motivation as to how I am doing.
    Many thanks again