Ketegonic diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    It should be added that the reason the ketogenic diet works is that it creates a caloric deficit. Nothing really too magical about it.

Your not entirely correct.
    I eat very few carbs.
    Im at 1800-1900+ cals a day which is not a deficit.
    I am lifting, so who ever suggested earlier its not recommended for ppl who are lifting is wrong.
    Its not just for weight loss.
    Its not about eating your weight in Bacon.
    Its about choosing healthy fats that come from such sources as Meats, Seeds, Nuts, Certain Oils.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It should be added that the reason the ketogenic diet works is that it creates a caloric deficit. Nothing really too magical about it.

Your not entirely correct.
    I eat very few carbs.
    Im at 1800-1900+ cals a day which is not a deficit.
    I am lifting, so who ever suggested earlier its not recommended for ppl who are lifting is wrong.
    Its not just for weight loss.
    Its not about eating your weight in Bacon.
    Its about choosing healthy fats that come from such sources as Meats, Seeds, Nuts, Certain Oils.

I was only trying to say that the normal rules of weight loss still apply. If you are in a caloric deficit, you lose weight, if you are in a surplus, you gain, not factoring things like a loss of water weight on Atkins, which other posters mentioned as well. Keto is another strategy for creating that deficit (fewer calories in than out).
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    To be honest low carb left me feeling exhausted and it was a struggle to get through the day. Rate of fat loss didn't increase. Also I lost a lot of muscle mass (noticeably), despite heavy lifting 4 times a week, which no doubt slowed my metabolism
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

It's not hocus pocus, it's a well-established and researched dietary approach that's been around since the 1920's, originally designed to treat epileptic children. They soon discovered it controlled blood glucose levels.

Were is your study on it? I just posted a link to a review about a study. I call shenanagens. Maybe its great for epileptic children,.

It is far from hocus pocus.

It was orginally started and developed during the 1920s and was specifically aimed at helping stop seizures in epileptic children who were not responding to the drugs for that condition.

The dietary conditions had to be strictly adhered to in order for it to have any chance of success and in many, many cases it was very successful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18456557

There is plenty of evidence regarding the Ketogenic Diet on the internet and instead of people calling fake or rubbish, it would be well that the first of all did a little research of their own.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

What I was referring to was the risk of ketoacidosis. I don't doubt there could be benefits to a lower carb approach, but being in ketosis and not having enough insulin to go around can be a big problem. That would be something to ask your doctor about, especially if you are type 1.

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and nutritional ketosis are quite different. DKA occurs with BOTH excessive ketones AND extremely high blood glucose levels. An untreated Type 1 is at greater risk of DKA, especially during an illness. Type 1 diabetics using insulin appropriately and Type 2 diabetics benefit greatly from a low-carb diet and up to moderate ketosis.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is doubting that this works as a treatment for children.

I just don't see how its any better in an adult to lose weight than just counting calories. You guys put up a good argument. Kudoes!
    I'll go back to eating my poptarts and ice cream.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is doubting that this works as a treatment for children.

I just don't see how its any better in an adult to lose weight than just counting calories. You guys put up a good argument. Kudoes!
    I'll go back to eating my poptarts and ice cream.

The idea is to control insulin responses in the body. If eating pop tarts and ice cream work for you, I think that's wonderful and you should keep doing what makes you happy in the long run.
  • johanna123456
    Options
    thank you all for answering. I really appreciate it ;(
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options

What I was referring to was the risk of ketoacidosis. I don't doubt there could be benefits to a lower carb approach, but being in ketosis and not having enough insulin to go around can be a big problem. That would be something to ask your doctor about, especially if you are type 1.

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and nutritional ketosis are quite different. DKA occurs with BOTH excessive ketones AND extremely high blood glucose levels. An untreated Type 1 is at greater risk of DKA, especially during an illness. Type 1 diabetics using insulin appropriately and Type 2 diabetics benefit greatly from a low-carb diet and up to moderate ketosis.

Absolutely, ketosis and DKA are different things. I myself am annoyed when they are confused with each other, especially when the claim is that ketosis is necessarily dangerous. It's a natural adaptation of the body when there is not enough glucose.

I've never really experimented with ketosis and don't really have anything against a ketogenic diet, but I thought DKA was worth mentioning because it could be a valid concern for type 1s.