30 Days "Sober"

Options
shellsrenee01
shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
Today marks the 30th day I've been soda free! This is huge for me, as I was consuming on average 2 cans of coke a day. That means I have saved myself 8400 calories in the last 30 days from not drinking soda.

I know lots of people struggle with giving up soda. It was hard and continues to be difficult for me. Those who say it gets easier after 7, 14, or 21 days are lucky! ;)

My original goal date was June 7. I'm really hoping when I get to that date, I will continue my ban on soda. *crosses fingers*

Replies

• JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    bravosmiley.gif

you should be proud! Good work :smile:
    The longer you go, the easier it DOES get.

I am 5years in and I want nothing to do with the stuff!

KEEP IT UP:flowerforyou:
  • vintagechick28
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • mandeeluvsme
    Options
    This is great. So happy for you. I use to be in the same situation as you. I use to drink half a liter of Pepsi everyday. I decided to give it up for Lent (Catholic holiday) that you give up meat for Friday. I decided to give it up for 30 days too. I gave it up & in the beginning I felt like a drug addict feeling an itch to want to drink it & i did give in once in a while but then I forgot about drinking it & I realized I had not drank soda for 1 year. After that I starting drinking a lot of juices & Snapple. I guess my addiction went from one drink to another. I eventually found my savior. Coconut water! I hate regular water so drinking coconut water was awesome. I now drink soda once every few months, a Snapple every few months, & juice only in the morning sometimes. Coconut water is awesome b/c it has vitamins & I have come to accept regular water now.

But all this has happened over a period of 3 years. So pace yourself & try to find other options when you want to drink something.
    Remember drinks also count as calories. Keep on going. :)
  • Aprilsdad
    Aprilsdad Posts: 3
    Options
    Well Done! Giving up soda is a pain - I gave up soda about 2 months ago after a month - I don't even miss it! Keep going it gets way easier
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    A change in your fitness and weight management.

I've never been a big soda person, but I can imagine how difficult that can be to cut out. Not only are you reducing the sugar in your intake, but also all of the chemicals.

I drink lots of water and some beer.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea is my down fall Ive seriously no clue how much sugars in it... Thats awesome you kicked soda to the curb.. Im gonna have to do that with Sweet Tea
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I think the word "Sober" is reserved for ppl with real addiction problems.
    That come from a place of despair and sorrow.
    That have taken there right to live back.
    Fought for their health and state of mind to be a better human being.
    And NONE of that has anything to do with Soda.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congratz on not drinking soda but I came to your thread for a whole different reason...kind of an odd choice of title. :huh:
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying it : )
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Good for you!! I used to drink at least one with lunch every day and have drastically cut back. I maybe drink 1 or 2 a month now. I live off of milk, water and orange juice these days. It definitely gets easier if you can just stick with it, I rarely if ever crave a soft drink and when I do have one, it normally is too sweet for me that I can't even drink more than half of it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying it : )

Agreed, I was thinking the same.
    But in general people use addiction, addicted, sober, clean, etc. for much more minor things. Just earlier today someone looking for friends "addicted" to MFP. :noway:
  • ElizabethKat1644
    Options
    Hey. That was kinda uncalled for :/ ya, soda isn't drugs, alcohol, ETC. But quitting a huge "obsession" like drinking 2 cans of coke a day, she can use the word sober. My mom was literally addicted to drinking coke. They found out it was actually causing her extreme health problems. Good job for quitting drinking coke! Huge accomplishment! :) Keep going! If you ever feel a craving for carbonation, try drinking a fizzy water, or something other then soda that's carbonated. Good job!!! :)
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I have never been a soda drinker (prefer water myself) but one could argue that cutting out Soda (and yes sugar/soda can be an addiction apparently) is fighting for her health
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's okay. She can say "sober" if she wants. Putting things in quote marks like that makes their meaning more fluid. Like right now, when I say I'm "sorry."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did your cokes have caffeine? It's pretty addictive I hear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine_addiction

Congratulations on your "sobriety". What a funny way to put it, but I do remember trying over and over to give up, and since my caffeine addiction caused me days long migraines and interfered with my life horribly via days off, crying, ER visits, etc.... hm, I'll have to consider whether that might be an apropro term?

I remember caffeine being SO hard to give up, I loved coffee. It took me a whole year to give up weaning off slowly, and withdrawals can range from headaches to nausea to fatigue etc., so I know it's no easy feat. So extra congratulations for taking on this challenge from someone who knows how hard that task can be, and how meaningful it can be for your life, depending on how sensitive you are to caffeine. Also, love the info on how many CALORIES this will save you, I had NO IDEA! Wow, just wow.:flowerforyou:
  • keely1998
    keely1998 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    thats GREAT:smile: i no how heard that it
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Another dumbing down of a perfectly good word.

OP has apparently never known anyone struggling with an addiction to drugs or alcohol.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I wanna be supportive. I really do. But as somebody who worked at a liquor store and have seen folks and close friends destroying their lives with alcohol... you thread title disgusts me.

Hope you have a nice life being soda free.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Good work. Soda is a waste of calories IMO.

Maybe conside using different wording for the title? Sobriety is usually a term that is reserved for the a person chosing to abstain from a mind-altering substance. Even "food addicts" chose to use different words out of respect and the clear difference in behavior vs addiction.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!