recovering from anorexia

Options
hiya wounder if you can help? im trying to recover from anorexia but want to do it through healthy eating and fitness NOT like in hospital junk junk junk and sit allday! as you can imagin im abit lost as to what to eat (im veggie) and how to train i DONT want a big belly want to stay toned and slim i need to gain weight also any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't gain weight without gaining some fat. You should speak to your doctor about what training you can do.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You can't gain weight without gaining some fat. You should speak to your doctor about what training you can do.

2x on that advice. The web advice is weak at best for medical conditions.

• doingthisfortheboys
    Options
    As long as you hit your intake goals you can do it by eating healthy but when you have a high cal goal you have to eat a lot more and that can leave you feeling very full so check out calorie dense food like nuts oils etc. Are you clear to exercise ? If so I would get a pt or at least advice from your recovery team to what exercise is best. You will gain fat because you need to. Its scary but its ok you need to eat at your goal and see what happens. Worry about your body when you are weight restored. Easier said than done but its the anorexia that wants you to eat healthy and exercise so you don't get fat etc . Trust the recovery team they don't want to make you fat they want to make you better. I'm doing the best I have ever done now I have just eaten what I am meant to and doing as I'm told.good luck its bloody hard work but recovery is totally worth it x
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanku so much for advice just hard to eat more u get full so quick i dont even manage to eat my goals set on fitness pal an they arnt that high but keep fighting :-)
  • doingthisfortheboys
    Options
    That's why you need the calorie dense foods, good luck add me if you want x
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want, i also suffer from eating problems
    If youre veggie you just need to eat calorie dense foods like yoghurt, nuts, high calorie fruit veg (bananas, coconut, pineapple, avocado)
    Also plenty carbs (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice)
    here if you need support
  • chunmi
    chunmi Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You shouldn't exercise when recovering from an eating disorder. Just like you shouldn't run a marathon with a broken foot.
  • emdarling07
    emdarling07 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good for you for posting on such a sensitive subject x I've recovered from Bulimia, and been through years of counseling. There's a lot I can share with you, but I'd need to know a bit more about you first x Add me if you'd like and we can chat :) I also just made (Literally, like 3 minutes ago!) a Eating Disorders Support Group on MFP- You can be my first member! First and only post is my story if you'd like to know more about me!
    -
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thankyou all so much :) i will defo join the group :smile: