Exercising Everyday

Options
The problem with me why it is becoming so tough for me to lose weight is because I do not exercise enough or regularly. I am totally lethargic when it comes to exerting my self! But from today I am going to be exercising every single day till I sweat out enough and get my shape better!
Please add me if you have a similar goal..looking for fitness buddies for motivation and tips! Thanks!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Congratulations on your healthy resolution.
    My suggestion is that you focus on eating at a deficit, if your objective is losing body weight. Meaning, Calories burned > calories ingested.
    Exercise will help you keep muscle and burn additional calories. Eating at a deficit is fundamental.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Shant1llyLace
    Options
    I started out promising myself to work out at least three times a week. I thought that was reasonable and a good starting point. Almost 3 months on I find myself restless if I haven't exercised for the day. Even on rest days I will do 30 minutes of light exercise, (wii free step, a walk or similar). I exercise 5-7days a week. Never thought I would say that.

To be honest I am not sure I enjoy it as such but I am enjoying the benefits of it. And the body seems to want to move more now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't burn out. 3x a week to start is just fine.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Focus as much on recovery as you will on exercise. 3x a week is enough. Adrenal burnout is no joke.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    ^ it's also not a thing...

but yes - focus on recovery. use credible (e.g., science-based medicine resources) sources to help with this. While Gabe Merkin's site is a little folksy, he has good resources

and weight loss is a huge function of that very difficult exercise, "fork put-down"
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Time for a reality check.

Going from zero daily exercise to 7x/week workouts is not realistic.

Set realistic goals (I will workout/walk/whatever 3x/wk for 30 minutes). Once you successfully achieve that goal, set another goal, maybe 4x/wk or extend the workout time to 45 minute sessions.

Start small and build on your success. Sooner that you realize, you will develop the exercise HABIT and it will become part of your daily routine, but don't try to build Rome in one day.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise every day...at least not rigorously. Just as you want your diet to be sustainable, so should your fitness regimen. You should set some fitness goals that go beyond trying to lose weight, etc...these will help dictate your training. I would add that regular rest and recovery is an extremely important aspect of fitness.

I would also add that going from 0 - 100 MPH is a pretty bad idea. At minimum, you're looking at burning out pretty quickly...beyond that, you're putting yourself at far greater risk for injury than necessary.

When I started back into fitness, I honestly did nothing besides walk. I spent the first month or so just walking..at first it was just a few days per week for about an hour...I couldn't believe how sore I was just from going for little walks. After a couple of weeks I started adding days to where I was pretty much walking 7 days per week (I still walk and whatnot on rest days...it's not particularly hard on the body).

After a few more weeks I started a C25K program so I was doing that a few times per week and walking the other days. During this time I also added some body weight resistance training and a couple of more months in and I started weight training again.

I'm now two years in and train quite a bit...I run about 10 miles per week (somewhat reluctantly as it's not my favorite...but one of my goals is a sprint triathlon so have to run), and I ride about 60 miles per week. I also lift 3x per week and work with a coach currently who is helping me with my Olympic lifts and overall athleticism. My rest day is usually Sunday...some weeks I take two rest days if my body is feeling particularly worn down...it's important when you're going hard.

If I would have just gone from the couch to trying to do what I'm doing now, I would have failed miserably...I probably would have burnt out before I injured myself, but definitely would have been a recipe for disaster.

At any rate, start slow...take those baby steps...realize that this is all a process and you can't forgo that process.
  • lmaughan73
    lmaughan73 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find that I get rebellious if I dictate what I have to do every day. Instead of requiring myself to exercise every day, my resolution this year was to run 500 miles assuming 10 miles a week for 50 weeks. I found that I kept wanting to increase my runs and I completed that goal in just over 7 months. Now I am running 25 miles a week and am on track to doubling my original goal by the end of the year. Setting my goal "beyond trying to lose weight" as cwolfman13 suggested, is working for me. Perhaps something similar could work for you. Good luck!
  • arnold824
    Options
    It's not that I'm discouraging you from exercising because it does have a lot of health benefits but If you really wan't to lose weight it's mostly on your diet since the bmr you're basing off is FOR YOUR DAILY LIVING AND DOESN'T INCLUDE YOUR EXERCISES. So if you're gonna loose a certain amount of calories from exercises, you'll be needing calories to compensate for the work you've done mostly 3.5/4 to 4/4 of the calories you'll be burning should be from a separate source and not from your DAILY LIVING CALORIE NEEDS.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As said above to go from 0 to 7 times a day sounds like you are setting yourself up for a fail. I would suggest you try and do 30-60 mins walking every day as its low intensity, but can burn useful calories. Walk to uni or work.

If you want shape then you shouldnt neglect getting in some resistance training. If it were me then id suggest a mix of cardio and weights 3-5 times a week,. Plan it carefully and know what you will be doing and why. Its up to you whether to eat back or not. Contrary to what Arnold says, not everyone does, they cary between eating back 0-50%-100%. Accuracy of burns is importnat. Its 80% diet but exercise can help with weight loss as well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine exercising seven days a week. During a week I'm off work, I'll walk every day to make up for the steps I wouldn't be getting in there, but 5-6 days is good for me. And I'm just now starting that after ten months of 2-3 days a week.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what they mean by exercise. Going for a 30 minute walk isnt going to kill you. Doing a 3hr session in the gym might be a bit ambitious.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday, 2x/day some days. I agree with others, you shouldn't start out aiming for everyday unless you are doing something mild, like walking or beginner's yoga. Baby steps... I always log my exercise, so feel free to check my diary if you want some ideas.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think exercising 7 days a week is fine, BUT, it needs to be sensible.

As an exercise newbie, I do 3 or 4 days/week on C25K as my key exercise chunks for the 3 x 30 minimum.
    But on my other days, I try to do something else - maybe a light cycle or a longer walk/stroll, or a little swim. So doing something but not pushing hard on the other days.
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    dont listen to the people telling you to only exercise 3 days a week. you will not overload your adrenals or your CNS. exercising every day is a great goal. every so often if you are feel yourself getting overly tired/sore/etc...then take a day off.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    just be careful about switching back and forth from one extreme to the other. If you cant go once a week right now, making a law that you have to do it 7 times might not be a successful endeavor. Choose a plan you can sustain long term. Dont go out in a blaze of flames every couple months. Keep a slow and steady fire for the year.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with the majority here: find balance first. Yes, if it's just a 30 min. walk, then 7 days per week is fine. But, psychologically, it can be overwhelming to tell yourself, "I will exercise every single day from here on out!". It is setting yourself up for failure, actually.

Set a number of cardio minutes you'd like to do per week and then aim for that. Or, with strength training strive for a certain number of push-ups, etc. Just be as active as you can daily!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Set a number of cardio minutes you'd like to do per week and then aim for that. Or, with strength training strive for a certain number of push-ups, etc. Just be as active as you can daily!

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO SET YOURSELF UP FOR A WIN INSTEAD OF A FAIL.

and if you get in all your minutes or pushups earlier int he week, then you can take a break!

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about other people, but I found running everyday much easier than once every couple of days, because it was easier to motivate myself. I started off at 3 minutes a day, and increased it by a minute a day. After a month, I stopped at 30 minutes a day.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about other people, but I found running everyday much easier than once every couple of days, because it was easier to motivate myself. I started off at 3 minutes a day, and increased it by a minute a day. After a month, I stopped at 30 minutes a day.

I'm glad it worked for you! I've never been able to run more than 4 days a week without getting injuries.

I do exercise almost every day, but it's complementary. Yesterday I ran 3.75 miles. Today I walked 2.25 miles and did a series of burpees with push-ups. Tomorrow I'll run 5 miles. Saturday or Sunday I'll probably cycle 20-25 miles; the other weekend day, I might row 5000 m. I'm not using the same muscles and doing the same motions all the time, which reduces the risk of injury and keeps me from getting too bored with any one activity.