help me?

Options
2»

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    carriebtz wrote: »
    I don't have anything to add but i'm curious about the sodium. I don't know what's normal for others but you regularly consume enough to make me bloat so big i wouldn't be able to button my jeans or bend my fingers.

I agree with this as well. While you do a great job of adding in some lean proteins and veggies, I noticed your diary is mostly jammed with processed junk. While there is nothing wrong with treats at all, and processed food in moderation is fine, making it the *bulk* of your diet will sabotage you - not only nutritionally, but it fuels cravings that you have to fight...and will power can only last so long.

I'd add an additional challenge to start replacing some of those donuts, cookies, chips, etc. with *real* food. Whole food. It's not easy, but once you get over the initial hump it gets easier and easier, and you actually start to crave healthy food. Let yourself have treats (as long as they don't trigger you to binge), but try to make 75-80% of your diet whole, rather than processed, foods.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm with Brandolin. It's tough to make a break from junk food but your body will thank you. And before the haters jump on me, I'm not saying to ban them for life. I enjoy my share of Talenti and jelly beans occasionally. Yay for you in that you are making positive changes and asking for input. That's not easy to do. Hang in and that scale will budge again.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try to be patient
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    But will you eat more? ;)
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Re: "trying to be patient". I found one of the most empowering things for me on my health journey, was to turn my thinking around from "try" to "will".

The word "try" connotes images of half-a$$ing it, putting in a little effort but not really believing anything will actually change. Trying is not a strategy for success.

The word "will" is an action word. It puts you in the driver's seat. It means you have actually taken responsibility and are ready to REALLY do something. "I WILL be patient". Hear the difference? You've half succeeded before you've even started, whereas with "trying", you fail before you even begin. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, you see?

Speaking of Patience....One of the reasons we got so big in the first place is because we had zero patience. We wanted pleasure, comfort, the feeling of being full, NOW. When we had the urge, we just grabbed something and ate it. Immediately. Losing weight will require you to grow up emotionally and develop many character traits that will mature you in such a way that you can sustain success long-term - not the least of which will be Patience.

By eating more food, exercising consistently, eating healthy foods (for the most part), and not allowing yourself to get discouraged when you don't lose as much as you'd like as fast as you'd like, you practice Patience. It's no different than exercising your muscles with weight. It's an emotional muscle.

You will not be able to get into a pick-up game with Michael Jordan if you never practice basketball. Similarly, you will not be able to sustain the years-long process it will take to lose the amount of weight you need to if you don't exercise your Patience, Loyalty, Love for yourself, Protection of your mind and body, Peace of mind, Gratefulness, Contentment, Discipline, Determination, Grit, and Courage (to name a few). To play in the big leagues (of weight loss) you have to be strong.

Thankfully, you don't have to do all of that in one go. You don't have to be that strong right *now*. You can do this one day at a time. Like the change you take out of your pocket and put in a big jar, those nickels and dimes add up over time, and before you know it, you're 10x stronger than you were before. Then 20x. Then 30. Character *builds* upon itself.

So the question is: are you WILLING to do this? Not to TRY to do this. To DO this. It's a mind-shift. See if you can make it!
  • JubJub79
    JubJub79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone says I look smaller but the scale hasn't budged in a while.
    My diary is open if anyone can look at it and advise

• JubJub79
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi, have you tried other markers such as clothes and tape measure. Also keep drinking lots of water sometimes you do plateau whilst your body adjusts.

Other alternatives is have a massive blowout cheat meal (at night so it's not a cheat day

I was once 259lbs, my tip is don't focus on the total amount but focus on making every meal a healthy one and also once a week plan all your meals with calories/macros whatever all worked out, type it out stick it on your cupboard or fridge and stick to it it makes eating a lot easier and less stressful (or is that just me?!?
  • JubJub79
    Options
    Hi, have you tried other markers such as clothes and tape measure. Also keep drinking lots of water sometimes you do plateau whilst your body adjusts.

Other alternatives is have a massive blowout cheat meal (at night so it's not a cheat day

I was once 259lbs, my tip is don't focus on the total amount but focus on making every meal a healthy one and also once a week plan all your meals with calories/macros whatever all worked out, type it out stick it on your cupboard or fridge and stick to it it makes eating a lot easier and less stressful (or is that just me?!?
  • legowrangler
    Options
    Re: "trying to be patient". I found one of the most empowering things for me on my health journey, was to turn my thinking around from "try" to "will".

The word "try" connotes images of half-a$$ing it, putting in a little effort but not really believing anything will actually change. Trying is not a strategy for success.

The word "will" is an action word. It puts you in the driver's seat. It means you have actually taken responsibility and are ready to REALLY do something. "I WILL be patient". Hear the difference? You've half succeeded before you've even started, whereas with "trying", you fail before you even begin. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, you see?

Speaking of Patience....One of the reasons we got so big in the first place is because we had zero patience. We wanted pleasure, comfort, the feeling of being full, NOW. When we had the urge, we just grabbed something and ate it. Immediately. Losing weight will require you to grow up emotionally and develop many character traits that will mature you in such a way that you can sustain success long-term - not the least of which will be Patience.

By eating more food, exercising consistently, eating healthy foods (for the most part), and not allowing yourself to get discouraged when you don't lose as much as you'd like as fast as you'd like, you practice Patience. It's no different than exercising your muscles with weight. It's an emotional muscle.

You will not be able to get into a pick-up game with Michael Jordan if you never practice basketball. Similarly, you will not be able to sustain the years-long process it will take to lose the amount of weight you need to if you don't exercise your Patience, Loyalty, Love for yourself, Protection of your mind and body, Peace of mind, Gratefulness, Contentment, Discipline, Determination, Grit, and Courage (to name a few). To play in the big leagues (of weight loss) you have to be strong.

Thankfully, you don't have to do all of that in one go. You don't have to be that strong right *now*. You can do this one day at a time. Like the change you take out of your pocket and put in a big jar, those nickels and dimes add up over time, and before you know it, you're 10x stronger than you were before. Then 20x. Then 30. Character *builds* upon itself.

So the question is: are you WILLING to do this? Not to TRY to do this. To DO this. It's a mind-shift. See if you can make it!

Thats funny that you say that b/c my homescreen on my phone says turn I wish to I will! lol
  • legowrangler
    Options
    According to the TDEE method (this would be your daily goal, and do not eat back your calories), if you exercised just 1-3x a week at 45-60 mins, you should be eating 2,009 calories a day! If you pushed your exercise up to 5x a week, you should eat 2,392. Even if you were completely sedentary, you would eat 1,625.

Conclusion: you are eating WAY too little. That will never work. Fuel your body. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but your body desperately needs those calories. Protect yourself from the typical anorexic/restrictive thinking ("the less I eat, the more I'll lose"). It's very dangerous. And worthless - doesn't even work in the long run. You'll end up bingeing, falling off the wagon, and being worse off than before. I challenge you to do it right this time - slow and steady. Win that race! You can do it.

I've upped my calories to the mfp suggested 1,960 a day but i'm trying to eat that much lol