Insanity says how many calories I should eat ?!?!?!!!!??!?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Eating below that is literally the same as killing yourself. It may be slower than a shotgun to the face, but just as effective.

Lol no
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I'm curious, what's so bad about eating below your BMR?

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what your body needs to survive WITHOUT any physical activity. It is pretty much the bare minimum if you were in a coma.

Eating below that is literally the same as killing yourself. It may be slower than a shotgun to the face, but just as effective.

Lol no
  • elpmapua
    elpmapua Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only sensible diet I've seen eating below BMR is Lyle's version of Protein Sparring Modified fast. At relatively high protein, low fat, low carb, you eat below 1,000 calories per day. But that's supposed to be done short time, as in 2 weeks. Purpose is to get immediate weight and fat loss.

As for OP, I believe you can eat at your maintenance calories, say 3,000 calories and allow Insanity to create the 500 or so deficit.

When I started, I was roughly near your weight. I only did intense exercise every few days. I didn't really reduce my food intake. I ate normally, not counting calories then and allowed the workout to do its magic.

I believe Insanity can do that for you plus much more, especially that you have a lot of weight and fat to lose.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    UK1993 wrote:
    60 Day Insanity challenge ... says in order to lose weight I would have to consume 3,332 calories per day minus a 500 caloric deficit. I'm also 230 pounds, male and 6 "2. Even with the deficit I'm looking at 2,832 calories per day with a minimum of 2,332 calories. Would I really lose weight consuming between 2.3k-2.8k calories per day? Would it be wise going lower than that? Let's say...1500 to maybe 1900? or 2000 calories?
    Going by BMI, you should be 145 - 190, so yes, 1900 cal is reasonable.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    MFP says your BMR is 1998.
    And in general, ignore exercise calories, but if you're doing something which labels itself insane, you might be burning lots, so eating back 1/3 - 1/2 might be reasonable. See how you feel. If you're hungry at the end of the day have a snack. Look at exercise as a bonus toward weight loss, but don't count on the calories.
    Most people underestimate what they eat, most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    you are looking at a BMR of around 2100-2200 calories. And whatever you do, you NEVER wan't to go below that... what your body needs to survive WITHOUT any physical activity. It is pretty much the bare minimum if you were in a coma ... Eating below that is literally the same as killing yourself ... It is never advisable to eat below ones BMR for any period of time. It has zero benefits and is actively harmful.
    I don't know where this myth came from (don't eat below your BMR) but that's all it is.
    When I started in JAN (10 months ago, for those who are counting), my BMR was 1974 & my calorie goal was 1700.
    My current BMR is 1689, goal is 1400. My doctor suggested 1300.
    I generally ignore exercise calories.
    Despite eating below my BMR practically that whole time (I'm not perfect, there are a few days I've gone over), my doctors are pleased with my progress & my health is better than it's been for a long time (cholesterol has come way down, heart rate is down, weight is down, muscles are up, endurance is up).
    If someone is already at a healthy weight, has little fat reserves, then it would be unhealthy to eat below their BMR for very long.

I am curious to see the studies you're relying on for your claim that there's no benefit to eating low-cal, and actually harm. I suggest starting your search here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, it's much easier not to eat 500 cal than it is to exercise it away.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your first comment was implying if you do it for even one day you will drop dead, which is blatantly OTT.

I have never implied any such thing, and I resent the dishonest accusation.
    Do not put words in my mouth to fit your narrative.
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lol no

That is one powerful rebuttal you got going there.
    You sure showed those pesky facts that the laws of physics are no match for you.

Well done
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Your first comment was implying if you do it for even one day you will drop dead, which is blatantly OTT.

I have never implied any such thing, and I resent the dishonest accusation.
    Do not put words in my mouth to fit your narrative.

LOL there you go with an other totally over the top comment. Dishonest accusation? Seriously? Good day, Sir.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    insanity made me seriously HUNGRY! the more cals you can eat the better in my experience!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can eat that much and lose weight. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds and I can eat 2400 calories a day and still have a deficit.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Insanity burns serious calories - 5-600 for plyo cardio and 6-700 in the month 2 workouts for me.
    I didn't bother calorie counting (I'd never heard of MFP then) - I just cut out rubbish food, had protein with every meal, had a cheat night every friday (beer and pizza) and still lost 1.5 stone. I've never been fitter either.

Don't overthink it, it works :)