Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

is it ok if i eat around 1200-1500 calories?

i am 177cm tall and 102.4 kg i would like to lost weight to 80. right now i eat around 1200 - 1500 calories and go to fitness for weight training and cardio by fast walking 40minute /day. does this amount of calories i take will make me to starvation mode or damage my metabolism system?

best regatds,
tony

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    It will not take you into mythical stavation mode - however it does not seem enough calories for someone of your stats.
    -
    how did you reach this number? - or is it a number you just picked at random?

Plug your details into MFP and see what that gives you - remembering with MFP method you are then intended to eat back exercise calories.

Or use one of the other online calculators
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    As a male at your weight and activity, you are not eating enough. Calculate your maintenance needs, subtract 20%, eat that number daily, adjust up/down if not losing ~4lbs a month.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    What ana said
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Yes it is okay, but ask yourself first: is it easy enough to do long term until all the extra weight is gone? Do you have enough energy during the day? Are you willing to do regular tests to screen for deficiencies and pay special attention to getting enough nutrients? Are you, overall, happy following this plan? Is your mood fine and not cranky? Are you healthy and have no issues that would be affected by a low calories diet?

If your answer is yes to all of the above, then go ahead with it, but be aware that you can still lose weight more comfortably and happily at a higher calorie target.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yes it is okay, but ask yourself first: is it easy enough to do long term until all the extra weight is gone? Do you have enough energy during the day? Are you willing to do regular tests to screen for deficiencies and pay special attention to getting enough nutrients? Are you, overall, happy following this plan? Is your mood fine and not cranky? Are you healthy and have no issues that would be affected by a low calories diet? If your answer is yes to all of the above, then go ahead with it, but be aware that you can still lose weight more comfortably and happily at a higher calorie target.

Good advice from amusedmonkey! :D You may wish to consider at least eating back some of your exercise calories, since you are seemingly eating well below your BMR.

myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • Ahhhh Yes. by now i am feel good with this plan. by the way i will try to eat 200-300 more. thank everyone. you guy are very nice.

My estimated BMR is: 1,960 calories/day* i will try 1400-1600 calories/day.

best regards,
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    yanadhorn wrote: »
    My estimated BMR is: 1,960 calories/day* i will try 1400-1600 calories/day.

Excellent idea!
    P.S. Starvation mode doesn't exist.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    no such thing as starvation mode but you'll probably be starving and miserable on that amount unless you cut out all carbs
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    That will work for a couple of months because you're motivated. Then you might want to switch to eating closer to the calorie amount for what your target weight will be, probably ~2000-2400