13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    How insane, eating less would never work for weight loss

Again, communication breakdown on my part. I'm not disputing any of the science of weight loss. I'm using the science myself and am seeing it work.

I *think* what I'm trying to push back against is the notion that becoming overweight is some sort of character flaw.
    This I can understand. The assumption sometimes is that people who are overweight and obese are just people who are lazy, uneducated and lack self discipline. I would just say that I can see developing those habits over time if one keeps going up in weight, however unless we know the person, we just can't assume that that is their character/personality.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Again, communication breakdown on my part. I'm not disputing any of the science of weight loss. I'm using the science myself and am seeing it work.

I *think* what I'm trying to push back against is the notion that becoming overweight is some sort of character flaw.
    This I can understand. The assumption sometimes is that people who are overweight and obese are just people who are lazy, uneducated and lack self discipline. I would just say that I can see developing those habits over time if one keeps going up in weight, however unless we know the person, we just can't assume that that is their character/personality.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with you. There are assumptions people make based on weight/looks before getting to know someone.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    People get fat because they eat too much for their activity level.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with you. There are assumptions people make based on weight/looks before getting to know someone.
    But, this is a generalization. Not all people do this. In fact, I've met more people who don't than who do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    People get fat because they eat too much for their activity level.

agree..

/thread
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But, this is a generalization. Not all people do this. In fact, I've met more people who don't than who do.

Sorry, yes I meant some people. I know most people don't
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

what does it matter if people get fat overeating on ding dongs or over eating on steak? At the end of the day it boils down to the fact that people are obese because they overeat, regardless of dietary choice.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people do have physical issues that cause them to be over- or underweight.

Other than those with physical issues, most people become over- or underweight due to mental or emotional issues. Those issues are not as easily solved as it sounds when someone says, "Just eat less!" or "Have a cheeseburger!"

Those who make fun of other for being too fat or too thin...those people have their own issues. I wouldn't worry about them.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options

This point was brought up in the below book, that I have not finished reading yet but some may want to check it out, some of his opinions are really thought provoking, it is available on amazon:

"Why we get Fat: And What to do about it" by Gary Taubes

Now before I get roasted, I am of the move more eat better group and then you'll lose it :)