Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Morning Vs Evening workouts/ Before or after work workouts?

Replies

• brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    I workout in the mornings (5am). After work I feel sluggish and then have to run behind a 2 year old.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    after work. I am an early riser - usually at my desk before 7am but have never been an early exercise person (even back in the day when I was doing competitive sports I hated early practice or matches). Plus for me, its a stress release after a long day at work especially when I can be outside. Different times work better/worse for different people. I have a couple of friends who seem to do really well with a short workout in the AM and another one after work.

That's me, too. Evenings always work better for me for the same reasons.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Mornings - before work. Although I have only just started doing this recently and I have really appreciated having my weeknights back to chill. I get up at 6:30 and do a 5K run on Monday's to Friday's and then do a long run on a Saturday morning when I have more time - and time to eat first!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I've done each at different times in my life, but currently I workout after work. And at times I got my workout in on my lunch hour. One never seemed to have any advantage over the other to me, except for fitting my schedule at that time.
  • FezzesRCool
    FezzesRCool Posts: 36
    I try to work out in the evening. I work two jobs and the scheduling is completely random so it's not always possible. Sometimes I do it in the morning or, if there is a large enough gap in time between needing to go from one to the other, I work out then. I use my breaks and lunches for quick walks.
  • chlsyrhd
    chlsyrhd Posts: 20 Member
    I prefer working out after I get home from work (around 5:30). I have about a half an hour commute and I cannot make myself get to the gym at 5am.
    I find that going later in the day actually gives me more energy until I go to sleep. While I would usually get home from work and just hang out, I find that now I'm much more motivated to stay active until I sleep.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    I go in the morning like at 9:30am or 10am but I'm done at lunch. So, it makes my life easier coming home to food and spending the rest of the day doing whatever.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I wrkout in the evenings on work days and in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday. I prefer the evening workouts. I seem to workout harder even after working all day.

This is what I do. I like it better, since I used to do things like go shopping or go out to eat after work, now I go home and workout which has also allowed me to save money. Though if I do have actual plans, I try to do a work around, such work through lunch and leave early or do an abbreviated workout. Also I have severe arthritis in my knees and need to literally warm up my knee with a heating pad first thing in the morning.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I always workout in the morning because I sometimes talk myself out of going in the evening. You know (well, I ate well today, I'm tired, stressed, etc).

Plus, I eat better all day when I workout in the morning, sets me up for success.
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Tried working out in the morning and as soon as I was finished I was ready for bed.

So it is just a 20 min walking the dog before I go to work, nothing too intense as I will struggle the rest of the day.

During the week, I work out during my lunch or in the evenings or both.

Weekends tend to be more early to late morning but I usually end up taking a nap at some point since I cannot sleep in to save my life on weekends no matter how late I stay up, so I tend to workout earlier and then I can sleep again.

I would say test out the morning one day and see how you feel. Either way is going to test your will power as there will be days you do not feel like going. Find what you like and stick with it. :)
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    I prefer working out in the morning for several reasons:
    1. It gets it over and done with and I don't have to worry about fitting it in all day.
    2. I have NO energy in the evening, so I find working out really hard.
    3. After work, I have to take the children out and about to their activities, cook dinner, etc...
    4. I don't start work until 10.30 so I don't have to get up extra early.
    5. I feel like I've already achieved something in my day, even if the rest of the day takes a downward turn.
    6. Nobody else is home so nobody interrupts me.

Everyone is different, you just have to find what works best for you, make it a routine, then stick to it :)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    I prefer working out after I get home from work (around 5:30). I have about a half an hour commute and I cannot make myself get to the gym at 5am.
    I find that going later in the day actually gives me more energy until I go to sleep. While I would usually get home from work and just hang out, I find that now I'm much more motivated to stay active until I sleep.

Yep. I also work and alternate work schedule - I go in earlier so I have have a day off and an early day every other week. By 7 am I'm in my office. A morning workout would mean I have to get up at 4 am. I used to have grad school classes a few evenings a week and there was no way I could go from 4am until 10:30 pm. :noway: The evenings work better for me/my schedule.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I always work out in the late afternoon/evening. I also can determine how I am already feeling after a shift and adjust my workout to that. I find I fall asleep quicker and deeper, though you would have to be careful not work out right before going to bed...I usually give myself at least 4 hours after a workout before trying to sleep.

I could not even imagine getting up early just to work out...but I have never been a morning person and don't plan on becoming one any time soon.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    I do my high intensity cardio (sprints and threshold) early before work. I find that immediately afterwards I feel tired and eat my breakfast at my desk at work. Then about 30mins to an hour afterwards I feel pretty energised.

I have the luxury of flexi time and a gym and work so I do weight sessions mid afternoon 13:30 - 14:15 normally. I eat lunch about 12.

One evening a week doing the long low intensity cardio and then the really long low intensity cardio session on a Saturday. I'm training for endurance mountain biking hence the long cardio sessions.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I work out after work for a few reasons:
    1. I sit on my butt all day at work and the last thing I want to do is come home and sit around more. I look forward to the exercise.
    2. I have way more energy at night than in the mornings.
    3. I already wake up at 6am for work and I can't get my boyfriend to come to bed earlier than 11pm and I can't sleep unless he's in bed with me. So lame I know, but I literally will not sleep. It has been this way for years.

I've tried the morning workouts but I was miserable all day at work. I was VERY relaxed, but couldn't focus/stay awake. If I ever have kids I might revisit the morning workout thing but for now the evening works great for me!
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    I do a mix of both! I lift weights in the evening right after work. But I run in the mornings. I also walk twice a day both morning and night.

I think the best time to do your workout is the time you personally are going to stick with and make less excuses to skip . :smile:
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    I love working out in the mornings, but since I work 2 jobs I usually can't get my butt out of bed in enough time anymore. So now I workout right before bed. It seems to work well because it helps me sleep. Much better lifestyle change because before I used to drink a beer to relax before bed, now I work out!
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    I prefer morning workouts because like a lot of others have said, I value my evenings and will generally find excuses not to workout at night. I also read/saw somewhere it's more beneficial to workout in the morning. The example they used was if you were to place a stick of butter directly onto a pan on the oven it will melt fast - this is morning workout. If you were to put a piece of bread down then a stick of butter on top of the bread this is the evening workout. Hence you'll burn more fat and calories because you're not burning off the things you ate for the day. Who knows how true that is. I also have a lot more energy after a morning workout.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    I used to workout in the mornings in a previous life, it was always good to start the day on a high with a great pump class or similar. These days I am just getting back into it and have discovered that I enjoy running early in the mornings but ATM am struggling with being up that early (we currently have a baby who isn't sleeping)
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    I prefer morning workouts because like a lot of others have said, I value my evenings and will generally find excuses not to workout at night. I also read/saw somewhere it's more beneficial to workout in the morning. The example they used was if you were to place a stick of butter directly onto a pan on the oven it will melt fast - this is morning workout. If you were to put a piece of bread down then a stick of butter on top of the bread this is the evening workout. Hence you'll burn more fat and calories because you're not burning off the things you ate for the day. Who knows how true that is. I also have a lot more energy after a morning workout.

Is that true? Don't you just burn what ever amount when ever you work out?

I know what you mean. I find excuses to stay in bed in the mornings.