Does Your Body Absorb All Calories from a Binge?

Just curious if anyone knows if your body absorbs all calories from a binge in the same way it would your normal calories. I don't mean a 5000+ binge, more like 2800 calories-ish.

Probably TMI but I ended up very sick yesterday after. That could have been from the amount of sugar though. I rarely crave or eat desserts & ate 20 mini donuts. Also had the equivalent of a bag of chips but those don't usually get to me.

Or it admittedly could have been the coffee...I had somewhere around 6-8 cups. Usually only have 4.

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Typically yes it does but those digestion issues are quite common when you eat that much sugar and oily foods when your body is no longer used to eating that way
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If "very sick" means some of the calories were expelled then the answer is "no".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think it would depend on, um, which way the stuff came out after.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I'm assuming you meant that you had diarrhea. The loss of the poop and water will lead to a decrease on the scale, but that comes back when you eat and drink. No fat loss there. The food that went in will still be broken down.

If you get the flu and vomit some up, it will obviously not complete the digestion process.

Binging is not the key to losing weight, if that's what you're thinking. It sure would be nice, though! "Eat six donuts for the calories of one!" It's a really nice thought! :)

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It is doubtful that your body absorbs all of the calories, since your body is trying force it out more quickly. But the only way to tell how much difference there is is to wait until your system normalizes and compare your weight to what is expected.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I personally think that unless you vomited some up, your body took in the calories. The small intestine is 20' long and the large is 5' long. Digestion begins in the mouth and occurs all the way through. If you were defecating dietary fat, it'd be orange and greasy like it is for the people who overeat fat on Alli. The rest of us digest our calories, for the most part. Sugar is easy to digest and probably doesn't make it far. Alcohol, too.
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    I honestly don't reckon so. I used to have some gargantuan binges and never gained as much weight as I should have, or would have if I had been consistently overeating rather than sporadically binging.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think if you binge often, adaptive thermogenesis can crank your calorie burn up higher. I'm not a binger but I feel like there are times when I can eat twice as much and gain slowly, so there has to be a window of RMR that changes with intake.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The watery nature of it is an indication that everything that could be absorbed has not been absorbed. But clearly, some of it has been absorbed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    No, your body will not absorb what you threw up.