What is the ideal calorie limit on a low carb diet?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have gone on a low carb diet for health reasons (I have cysts on my ovaries, and my GP has advised me to go low carb for a while, because the raise in insulin can effect my hormone levels. So it's not because I'm trying to go on a diet craze of some sort!

My question is...what is the calorie limit when you're on this diet? I am 5'3 and 58k, and my ideal weight is somewhere between 53 and 55kg...but because of the cysts I have put on weight, as a result of my hormones having gone a bit crazy!

I usually stick to 1200-1300 a day...but with 3 meals a day on a low carb diet, it's hard not to exceed that amount! So far today I'm nearing 1500, but that would be after my final meal!

I am moderately active..I'm a trader and stand around a market stall, and I walk to most places...I sometimes do yoga and get some exercise when I have time...

Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight at 1500? There is no blanket answer as every person is different. I would be happy to help you work through this.
  • lilika_49
    Options
    I don't know, I've only just started today! I don't want to be eating the wrong amount of calories, as well as introducing more fat than usual to my body!!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask the doc that suggested this would be a good start?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Low carb or high carb, your calories per day will be the same. You can either follow MFP's recommendation (and make sure you enter your exercise and eat some or all of those calories back) or find your TDEE (average daily calories burned) through an online calculator (Google it) and don't enter your exercise (as it's already included.) Keep in mind that both methods are based on population averages, so you may have to tweak a little.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    There isn't a set calorie limit for most low-carb diets, just a carb limit. Eat when you're hungry, eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed. Don't be afraid of eating fat; it will help you feel full.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    There isn't a set calorie limit for most low-carb diets, just a carb limit. Eat when you're hungry, eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed. Don't be afraid of eating fat; it will help you feel full.

No, sorry, but even if you eat low carb, if you're eating too many total calories, you are going to lose weight. The basics of thermodynamics don't change just because you give up bread and potatoes.

• musclemindca
    Options
    1500 Calories is where you should be for your weight. But more importantly is your macro nutrient breakdown. What you should be asking is "how many carbs is low carb"
    The easiest answer would be approx 20% of your caloric intake,
    "Custom" your "Goals" here in MFP - 40% for fat and Protein and 20% for carbs.
    Low carb does not mean low/cut cals, it does mean increase healthy fats and protein :)

Paleo is a great way of eating to give you idea's - use measured carbs - Sweet Potatoes, yams, squash are great. My hubby and I have Zucchini spaghetti almost daily. I make 1 piece of bacon, 1 egg and 3/4 cup egg whites with whole mushrooms at breakfast = yum...

Keep to your macros and you have this in the bag!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The calories would be the same as if you were on a high carb diet. The whole extra calorie "metabolic advantage" of a low carbohydrate diet has been in dispute. If it exists, it's not enough to make any difference. Wishing you much success with your goals though.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein-fat or carbs.
  • lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    edited November 2014
    Options
    thank you everyone! Phew, I stuck to my 1500 today, and have only consumed 30g of carbs, while having had enough protein, guess if I follow this pattern, I should be ok..if I don't see an improvement, I'll try 1400 calories...I also made absolutely sure I get enough fibre seeing as I have to cut down on a lot of my fav fruits for that!

When I've hunger pangs or sweet cravings today, I've just made myself an espresso machiatto with around 6ml of full fat milk, and stevia! And that's only been twice, and it's worked! I'm very satisfyingly full too...not bursting or bloated full...even though I had a 300g steak for dinner and omelette for breakfast!!