Can anyone answer this??????

Options
branflakes1980
branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
Hi, I am a 5'8" 32 year old woman. I have been pretty slim most of my life however after 30 it has become more difficult to stay that way. A year ago I was in the best shape of my life with a gym membership, attending 4-5 classes a week. Then I was forced to get a desk job due to financial circumstances. With the # of hours that I work plus 2 kids and the distance from my home to the gym I gave up my membership and got lazy. I went from 145 lbs to 155 lbs which is where I am now. I looked for a long time at alot of different home programs before deciding on Jillian's Total body revolution. I have been doing this religiously and haven't missed any days except in week 3 I was sick with the flu for 3 days and just repeated the whole week. I just started week 9 yesterday. I love this program however i am not noticing any results. The scale has not moved, my measurements have SLIGHTLY gotten smaller in the waist, arms, and chest but my thighs are measuring bigger than they were when I started. I am so discouraged that I could just cry. I am not following the meal plan, but I eat pretty well 95% of the time. I am drenched in sweat after every workout and I notice that I feel stronger and have more energy but my pants are not looser, they are tighter. This is so discouraging. Has anyone ever had this happen to them or is it just me?

Replies

• mongolianfireoil
    Options
    Isn't it normal to gain muscle and even gain weight when you first start a workout plan for the first 6 weeks? I would reckon after week 6 you'll start seeing the weight loss your after.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out a reasonable caloric deficit?

Are you keeping track of what you're eating?
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tell us about your diet.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    . I am not following the meal plan

Right, well, I would consider doing so.

Eating well is most of the job, you know that.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you aren't counting your calories, you are probably eating at maintenance. Like they say, "Abs are made in the kitchen." You can do all the exercise you want but if you aren't eating less than you're burning, you won't lose weight.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can indeed. :)

My Dad is training to become a personal trainer in his retirement so I've learned all sorts of tidbits as he goes through his testing.

It's hormones.

I've always been a healthy weight and active. In my 20s I did not have to worry and maintained a size 6. In my 30s I struggled to maintain a size 8 (for me 135-140 lbs). I travel a lot for work, but I always have.

As it turns out, per my Dad "what you did in your 20s will not work in your 30s!" We begin to lose both bone mass and muscle in our 30s as well. So it's 3 things working against you: hormones, bone loss, muscle loss. FUN!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Well I am a male and well 38. Like you I was always thin, then I started college (read bio) now I work a desk job. It is hard to burn calories working a desk job.

You are very fortunate that your weight didnt get away from you. You only have 10 lbs (cased off your post) to lose.

just move around more when off work, count your calories, have a deficit to lose, and keep the same to stay at your goal.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    . I am not following the meal plan

Right, well, I would consider doing so.

Eating well is most of the job, you know that.

see my post above. She's in her 30s.
  • drummergrl2011
    drummergrl2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You have to keep track of what you eat...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Well I am a male and well 38. Like you I was always thin, then I started college (read bio) now I work a desk job. It is hard to burn calories working a desk job.

You are very fortunate that your weight didnt get away from you. You only have 10 lbs (cased off your post) to lose.

just move around more when off work, count your calories, have a deficit to lose, and keep the same to stay at your goal.

MALE IN 30S IS NOT THE SAME AS FEMALE. sorry.

Females in their 30s begin to have hormone changes, muscle loss, and bone loss. Each decade is more muscle and more bone loss and it's easier to pack on the fat.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You have to keep track of what you eat...

she's been slim most of her life. Just like me when I was in my 20s and teens. See above. It's muscle and bone loss (and fat gain and hormone changes) that begin for women (not the same for men) in their 30s.

She had good eating habits (read: thin) and was active (read: thin).
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I agree diet is more important as you get older- one thing that I have found is that I needed to reduce carbs and increase lean protein. I think once you pass the dreaded 30 year mark your body has different needs, and after 40 the difference is even more prevalent. I am tinkering with changing things up to get more complex carbs, but cutting simple carbs (which was a major staple in my life pre MFP) has helped me alot. I am hovering between 10-12 lbs lost, but my waist is down two sizes in a little over a month.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

So what happens at 30, you cross a magic rubicon and then your body gives in? She changed her lifestyle, got a desk job and is not following the meal plan. I bet if she followed the plan things would improve massively.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I agree diet is more important as you get older- one thing that I have found is that I needed to reduce carbs and increase lean protein. I think once you pass the dreaded 30 year mark your body has different needs, and after 40 the difference is even more prevalent. I am tinkering with changing things up to get more complex carbs, but cutting simple carbs (which was a major staple in my life pre MFP) has helped me alot. I am hovering between 10-12 lbs lost, but my waist is down two sizes in a little over a month.

Good points. But really it's different for guys in their 30s. :glasses:
  • yipsx
    yipsx Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it's because "muscle weighs more than fat"- You've become stronger and fitter, your healthy! :D Don't be discouraged, it's just the scale- and remember- your fitnesspals are with you all the way xD There's a girl I know... she's super skinny and short(3'3'') , she does a lot of exercise, but she weighs 132 ibs ... All her friends said it was because she was sporty and not to worry xD so yah,,,, any encouragement? Hope for the best :)xx
  • Onesnap
    Options

So what happens at 30, you cross a magic rubicon and then your body gives in? She changed her lifestyle, got a desk job and is not following the meal plan. I bet if she followed the plan things would improve massively.

For females yes. During the decade of 30s (not poof all at once, we're talking science) women begin to lose bone and muscle mass. Hormones too.
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    I'm 38 and 5'8, 2 kids desk job and YES totally!! I was lifting everyday until some pretty severe back injuries that only allow me to do cardio. I was actually gaining weight until I ramped up the eliptical and dropped my calorie intake, I'm only watching my macros and eating the macros to my goal weight. I've lost a lot in a short period, I do think some is muscle loss :( Every body is different and there is a science and a different science to every body, don't give up, keep trying new things you will find the right equation~! Promise!
  • MJDuley
    MJDuley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As it turns out, per my Dad "what you did in your 20s will not work in your 30s!" We begin to lose both bone mass and muscle in our 30s as well. So it's 3 things working against you: hormones, bone loss, muscle loss. FUN!

This is so true! I was always underweight until I hit my early 30's. I was so underweight that a nurse read me the riot act when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, accusing me of trying to keep my figure (I wasn't). Kids in school would grab my shoulder blades because they stuck out so much. I couldn't gain weight to save my life.

Then right about 32-33 years of age I started packing on the pounds. I went to my doctor to make sure it wasn't something like a thyroid issue and he ruled out any medical causes. He told me it was just my metabolism slowing down with age and that the solution was to "eat less, exercise more!" Our bodies really do change with age, and we just have to change with them.

Your legs are most likely bigger from muscle gain, which is probably also why your weight is holding steady. You're seeing other parts of your body slim down so you ARE getting results, but the gain in muscle mass is off-setting the fat loss (which is not a bad thing).

I would definitely start tracking your eating habits. Most people don't truly realize just how quickly those calories add up. Most people also have no idea what a serving size really is. The first time I measured out one cup of cereal I was floored. It was less than 1/2 of what I was usually eating! Start tracking and measuring what you eat and I'll bet you'll be surprised.
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try finding your TDEE and eat less than that ( I do about 15% less since I am pretty close to my goal). Here is a calculator I have used.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck :flowerforyou:

ETA: These kinds of calculators take your age into consideration so I don't think thats an issue. I am 34 and have been losing steadily since January eating below my TDEE.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options

For females yes. During the decade of 30s (not poof all at once, we're talking science) women begin to lose bone and muscle mass. Hormones too.

This is exactly why women should lift and lift heavy! This doesn't have to happen. Only if you let it.

Calorie restriction does mess up hormones. Lyle McDonald writes a lot about this issue with women and calorie restriction or huge deficits.