Do you burn empty calories before fat?

2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Yes, I was eating no processed foods. I was eating avacado, whole grain, high protein... For awhile I was paying attention to macros... 5 to 6 times a day. I had been looking for higher calorie healthy foods and snacks, but didn't know what. So I was always under my goal.

AY2O9NX.gif
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A calorie is just a unit of energy. You need XXXX amount of energy to maintain the status quot...just to live...to fuel your day to day...to workout, etc. When you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to do the above, your body has to make up the difference...it does this by dipping into your energy reserves...aka your fat stores...and you burn fat...and a bit of muscle, etc...large deficits tend to lead to a greater ratio of the later than necessary.

cwolfman if you factor in the brain decreasing one's metabolism when they are starving the body over a period of a few weeks or long one may even gain weight on the lower cals after initially dropping some weight. If one cuts cals and drops some pounds then regain them after a while they have set up a health crisis perhaps in the long run.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    A calorie is just a unit of energy. You need XXXX amount of energy to maintain the status quot...just to live...to fuel your day to day...to workout, etc. When you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to do the above, your body has to make up the difference...it does this by dipping into your energy reserves...aka your fat stores...and you burn fat...and a bit of muscle, etc...large deficits tend to lead to a greater ratio of the later than necessary.

cwolfman if you factor in the brain decreasing one's metabolism when they are starving the body over a period of a few weeks or long one may even gain weight on the lower cals after initially dropping some weight. If one cuts cals and drops some pounds then regain them after a while they have set up a health crisis perhaps in the long run.

No, this is not possible. You cannot gain weight in a calorie deficit.
  • AJ_G
    edited November 2014
    mccindy72 wrote: »

He's talking about adaptive thermogenesis, but it doesn't happen that drastically over a matter of a few weeks. Adaptive thermogenesis is a slow process, and it's true that the larger the deficit, the more aggressive the adaptation, but that's not a real concern as long as you're not eating like 500 calories a day for weeks and months on end.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Yeah kinda struggling with this one myself!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think I'd rather start with less fat, really. I have definition in my arms and legs (I know there's no such thing as spot reducing) but I'm more concerned with the fat I have than a 4 pack. But I think what I was trying to get at, is that if I continue to eat the same calories, but increase my activity drastically, won't that in itself, create a deficit?

Yes. If you are at the edge of an unhealthy weight (edit: you aren't, depending on frame, but you don't need to lose any more either), I think you'd be better off starting by focusing on building muscle. Chances are you'd like the changes in your body and you can always cut fat afterwards. If you are at maintenance and want to cut 3500 calories in drinks, then, you'll need to add something, probably protein (although what are your current total calories and macros?).
  • I'm a small frame. Depending on brand of jeans, I can comfortably wear size 1 to 3. I can wear my 10 year old's clothes. I'm "skinny-fat". I haven't yet figured out my macros or calories again. I think you're right, and for now I am just going to focus on strength for a few months and see where that takes me. I might incorporate some HIIT too.
  • AJ_G
    I'm a small frame. Depending on brand of jeans, I can comfortably wear size 1 to 3. I can wear my 10 year old's clothes. I'm "skinny-fat". I haven't yet figured out my macros or calories again. I think you're right, and for now I am just going to focus on strength for a few months and see where that takes me. I might incorporate some HIIT too.

Based on your weight:

Protein - 93g
    Fat - 45g
    Carbs - Remaining calories

• AJ_G wrote: »
    I'm a small frame. Depending on brand of jeans, I can comfortably wear size 1 to 3. I can wear my 10 year old's clothes. I'm "skinny-fat". I haven't yet figured out my macros or calories again. I think you're right, and for now I am just going to focus on strength for a few months and see where that takes me. I might incorporate some HIIT too.

Based on your weight:

Protein - 93g
    Fat - 45g
    Carbs - Remaining calories

Thanks