Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with dieting

DubNut86
DubNut86 Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I want to start a cut, I'm currently around 220lb, I'm think of starting a 3000 calorie diet, 300g carbs, 225g protein and 100g fats.

I workout 4/5 times per week, no cardio. I'm aiming to lose 1lb a week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    First off you don't need nearly that much protein, unless you just enjoy eating that much. 3000 calories seems high for a cut, even at 220, but you can always experiment and find the calorie intake that has you losing weight.
  • AJ_G wrote: »
    First off you don't need nearly that much protein, unless you just enjoy eating that much. 3000 calories seems high for a cut, even at 220, but you can always experiment and find the calorie intake that has you losing weight.

I want to maintain as much muscle as possible. If I don't lose weight I could cut back on the calories I suppose?

• AJ_G
    DubNut86 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

I want to maintain as much muscle as possible. If I don't lose weight I could cut back on the calories I suppose?

Not a bad plan, start at 3000, watch your weight for a couple weeks, see what it does and then adjust your calorie intake accordingly. Also I'd highly suggest you start lifting heavy weights if you don't already, especially if your goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Hi,

I want to start a cut, I'm currently around 220lb, I'm think of starting a 3000 calorie diet, 300g carbs, 225g protein and 100g fats.

Since we are all different give it a try and weigh every month. If your results are moving you towards your goals keep it up. Long term I had to reverse your carb/fat numbers to get the weight loss started and the fat to keep coming off.

• AJ_G
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

Since we are all different give it a try and weigh every month. If your results are moving you towards your goals keep it up. Long term I had to reverse your carb/fat numbers to get the weight loss started and the fat to keep coming off.

No. Do not listen to this guy. You do not need to lower carbs to jump start your weight loss. All that will do is cause a sharp drop in water weight, then most likely stall your weight loss. If you want to find out if 3000 calories will cause you to lose fat or not, then do not cut carbs, that will just throw of your numbers with phantom fat loss from water loss due to glycogen depletion. Stick to your original plan.
  • Thanks for the replies, much appreciated :)