Handstands after 30

Options
So as a kid I did gymnastics until I was about 12. I was never a somersaulter, but handstands, cartwheels, walkovers, that's where it was at.
About 4 years ago I did a yoga class.. it was on this day I found out I couldn't do a handstand anymore!
About 2 years when my daughter was practising cartwheels at dance and I went to show my daughter "how easy it is", that I learnt I couldn't do cartwheels anymore!
A part of me is really sad that I can't do this anymore. I remember laughing at my mum the day she told me she can't just jump anymore. I want to be able to jump and cartwheel and do handstands.
What do you reckon the chances are of getting my mojo back?! Has anyone (ladies in particular) achieved this?
cheers peeps!

Replies

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    At 48 Insanity got my mojo back and now can jump around like a spring chicken (or so it feels)! Never any good at handstands or cartwheels but reckon I could give them as good a go now as I could when I was 12 :-)
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do it next time you're warmed up and let me know if you can do them!
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Deal! I want to be able to do a handstand with no "momentum" - just strength and balance but that might be stretching it! Can I use a wall??!!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was a self-taught "gymnast" as a kid...I could hold a handstand for days and could do basic tumbling. My daughter is a competitive gymnast and her gym offers an adult class. A couple years ago, I tried it on a lark and discovered that not only could I not do anything anymore, I was afraid to even try. This year, having lost weight and getting into better shape, I gave it another shot. OMG, I LOVE it! I can do handstands (not a press, but I'm working towards it) and cartwheels/roundoffs again, I can do front handsprings on a tumble track, and a spotted backhandspring. And I've **almost** got my split back. It's just fun to be able to act like a kid in this capacity again.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I used to do gymnastics too, but at a recent yoga class I was terrified when I tried a handstand and headstand. I may try them at home.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and can still do a better cartwheel than most of the girls on my junior rugby team - yes, we do have competitions before we get down to the serious stuff!!! Cant do a handstand anymore - there seems to be a lot more of me to invert these days!!!! Still going to keep trying tho. x

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    At 42 I do handstands all the time.

A good yoga teacher should be able to get you back into it safely, as well as assess if you are ready to support yourself.
    Right now, I'm working on getting up with two legs at once.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you can definitely get back there. Though they may never really feel quite as effortless as they once did... or maybe they will.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    im almost 40 and you cant stop me from cartwheeling.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm working on handstands based on this. I just need to get the guts to get my feet off the wall at this point. I don't think I'll ever go back to cartwheels though.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    fun stuff. handstands on the beach. a fave. (as profile pic demonstrates)

against the wall is good training. pike position pushups help with shoulder stability.

dunno if a yoga person would be the right one - more of a gymnastics type. if that's also a yoga type, fine.

cartwheels, etc are also lots of fun, too.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you did gymnastics, you're probably familiar with with "tripod" pose that students are taught before a headstand, which then pushes up into a handstand.

I'd just go back to that. I can do handstands again, even walking handstands (not very far, but I'm working on it!) and I just went back to the tripod.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    when I was like 8 they tried to teach us the tripod thing. If you ask me, that takes incredible core strength and balance. I could never do it without assistance. my buddy at the time could... he also grew up to be a pro athlete lol.
    when I was in highschool I had a gf that was a gymnast and she showed me this way of just doing it like a 'teeter-tauter' where you just bend at the waste and raise one leg in the air behind you. you use your body's momentum to bring the other leg up.

not as safe, and doesn't support fitness goals as well as the tripod method does, but if all you want to do is achieve the position, its like a million times easier.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful conversation!
    I have a 4 yr old grandson and I have just started wishing I could do hand stands and cartwheels to show him- I thought it impossible.
    You have inspired me to start practicing. I just may be able to do them again by the time he turns 5 in April.
    I will report back when I succeed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just start back into it. There are a LOT of good handstand tutorials on the web. Check out gold medal bodies.com.
  • aalpass
    Options
    I'm so excited!! You guys have got me motivated. Thank you!!! here's to a handstanding and cartwheeling future :smiley:
  • sparx350
    sparx350 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just turned 33 yesterday and can handstand, cartwheel, and backbend, handstand to front walkover, working on getting my back walkover back…i wonder if i'll ever be able to do a back handspring…always wanted to. You can do it! Just make sure to warm up and stretch…and start slow and get a spot when you're unsure.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    You can totally get your mojo back. I decided to get my mojo back when I was 39 in prep for turning 40. I started pole dancing and yoga to reclaim my flexibility and eventually transitioned to Crossfit. I am handstanding every other day (even handstand pushups--although not freestanding ones, yet). My coach just told me I am ready to start my handstand walk progression. I am 41 now and plan to be handstand walking by 42. :) I worked on headstands and hollow body holds, then 30 second away from wall stands, and eventually 1 minute wall-facing handstands. I can hold a free-standing handstand for a few seconds now and a wall-facing handstand for a couple minutes. :) Just takes consistent effort!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hahaha my efforts will be on a 61 yr old body that hasn't done a hand stand or cartwheel for 45 years- longer than some of you have been alive!
    My grandson better be thrilled. Wish me luck.
    Cheers, h
  • aalpass
    Options
    So yesterday was my first day or handstand training - I felt heavy but i held being somewhat upside down against a door. Today... my shoulders wrecked!