Calories, confusion, strength and fat loss

Options
What’s a boy to do?

At the moment I’m obese, I’ve got a big old belly and I want to get rid of it

To do so I think adding strength training would be a good idea but I’m absolutely baffled with how I should be eating while doing it

The general consensus is that there is no point in strength training if you are eating at a deficit, but it’s also the general consensus that you should start strength training as soon as you can because otherwise you lose muscle weight instead of fat

I don’t know if it’s the search terms I’m putting in or I’m being thick but I can’t see to get my head around what I should be doing

I want to lose fat, I want to be strong and I want to feel healthy

My plan as it stands is

Continue running 3 times a week
Continue eating at a calorie deficit (what ever mfp says I need to lose 1lb a week)
Start bodyweight training twice a week (using YAYOG)

Does that sound like a good plan to reach my goals?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes. Continue
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am doing exactly the same, i am on a deficit, and i do cardio/gym 5 times a week, and lift 3 times, but i am so weak at the moment, that i am not doing a massive amount, but as each session goes by i am gaining strength, and my bingo wings have gone lol! So it is working, but i think if you are already in the correct body fat guidelines and are wanting to train seriously that is when people talk about not eating to a deficit ( but that is only my guess )
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    The general consensus is that there is no point in strength training if you are eating at a deficit, but it’s also the general consensus that you should start strength training as soon as you can because otherwise you lose muscle weight instead of fat

By using some form of resistance training in deficit you'll bias your system towards using the fuel to maintain lean mass, rather than spreading the loss across lean mass and fat. you'll still lose lean mass, but there shouldn't be as much. so it's about the proportions of loss.
    Continue running 3 times a week
    Continue eating at a calorie deficit (what ever mfp says I need to lose 1lb a week)
    Start bodyweight training twice a week (using YAYOG)

That's broadly what I've done over about 18 months now, with an emphasis on the running having got to half marathon distance. I've lost 3 stone, and reduced bodyfat percentage by a third in that time.

My actual rate of loss was initially about 2lbs per week, I moderated that to 1lb pw reaosnably soon as I was struggling to function on the intake that gave me. I'm now floating between 1/2lb pw and maintenance as I'm more interested in running performance than weight.

• sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks all, i will stick with my plan and see how it goes

next step lets see if my door can handle let me in's :)