up in the middle of night - eating to pass time

Options
Well, here I am awake in the middle of the night. Continuous thoughts of eating.
What do you do (no fooling around here).

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing many nights. By midnight, it's been six hours since dinner, so of course I'm hungry.

What to do? Well, if this is a recurring problem, maybe seek help with your sleeping. I'm taking melatonin and it works most of the time.

My other thought was to go ahead and eat something. It may help you fall asleep and if you already closed your diary for the day or don't have any calories left, count this toward tomorrow's calories.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing many nights. By midnight, it's been six hours since dinner, so of course I'm hungry.

What to do? Well, if this is a recurring problem, maybe seek help with your sleeping. I'm taking melatonin and it works most of the time.

My other thought was to go ahead and eat something. It may help you fall asleep and if you already closed your diary for the day or don't have any calories left, count this toward tomorrow's calories.

You do a six hour fast before bedtime?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised when people don't eat a decent dinner. (And breakfast). Even with reflux and not supposed to eat three hours before bed, I don't go to bed hungry.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that eating is not a recreational hobby, but a means of survival - fuel for your body. There are times when it is combined with a special occasion - like having family all around while eat yummier than usual food - but the food is not the celebration.

Cooking can be a hobby. Experimenting in the kitchen with fun new recipes and science. But there is a difference between being hungry and being bored. Don't eat cause you're bored. Find something else to do with your hands that requires them to be clean and dry. Like cross-stitch or knitting/crocheting, or creative homemade holiday cards or working on something else crafty. It soaks up your attention, but you can't mindless just eat for no reason when your fingers are covered in glue and busy!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You call it a fast? I couldn't eat anything after 8pm. To me that is far too late to be eating. eating between 5.30pm and 6.30pm is the best time. I agree with yoovie, keep your hands busy. Or chug water, the only problem with that is you may wake up for a pee at some point. Try having at least a pint of water with your meal and make sure at least half your plate is veg. I'm normally pretty full after that, and sleep like a baby. :smile:

Good luck!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Not intentionally. It's just that I can't fall asleep when I'm supposed to and end up still being awake six hours after dinner time.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Not intentionally. It's just that I can't fall asleep when I'm supposed to and end up still being awake six hours after dinner time.

That sucks maybe need some activity after dinner.

• mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am late night snacker too. I make sure to leave calories for the end of the night. I like to eat popcorn...lots of volume for low calories.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some hot herbal tea or decaf black tea. I usually read when I can't sleep. It calms my mind.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Maybe try some hot herbal tea or decaf black tea. I usually read when I can't sleep. It calms my mind.

This was also going to be my suggestion. Read. If I was truly hungry, I'd probably have a glass of milk or something, but I'd still read.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Start getting up at 5am to workout. You'll be lucky if you can make it to 10pm without falling asleep.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I keep sugarless gum around for nights like that.
  • hicksang121
    hicksang121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If I wake up hungry that's different from being awake and eating to pass the time. If I wake up hungry I have a few bites of something healthy - maybe 25% of what I had for dinner - maybe half a sandwich on wheat and a cup of water - maybe 5 spoonfuls of cottage cheese. I also know when that happens that I probably didn't eat enough the day before. If I just can't sleep, I do chores - pack a lunch or gym bag, iron, do a load of laundry, pay bills. It usually bores me enough that I'm falling back asleep within 30 minutes. I'll also turn on a soft light and read a magazine or book. Watch the booze too - feels like it helps you relax, but there's a tipping point where it'll cause you restless sleep and eventually you wake up. Best of luck!