Hi Everyone, my name is Mike.

Hello All,

My name is Mike. I am new here. I have a long history of yo yo weight patterns. I am at just about the heaviest I have ever been and I am tired of it. I am here to change. I am here to get serious. Sad to say, I feel I need to be held accountable. This is new for me as I have never been in the position of having to be held accountable before. I have always been in positions where folks were accountable to me.....starting with lead positions in the Air Force and continuing in civilian life as a manager/director at all positions after the Air Force.

But, as time has gone by, I find that I have let my body down. I have always lifted on and off. I currently sit at approximately 34 percent body fat at approximately 295 pounds (approximately because I have made the mistake of weighing myself every single day and watching the scale go up and down....though not below 285 for about 2 years now). I do not believe in the BMI because if you go by my current LBM (~195 pounds), and if I were at 0 percent body fat (an impossibility as you need a minimum of 2% body fat to sustain life....depending on what publication you read), I would still be at a BMI of 31.5.....obese, according to the BMI index. Therefore, it is not weight I am trying to lose, but rather, fat. More than having a goal in pounds, I am shooting for a goal of approximately 8-10 percent body fat. I am trying to not go below a LBM of 180 to 185 pounds.

I find that this was a lot easier when I was 19, 29, and 39. However, it is seemingly harder at 49. Not only that, but surprise of surprises, I measured my height yesterday and it seems I have shrunk about 1 and 1/2 inch since I was 20.

They say that one is more likely to succeed in this endeavor with support from others. I must admit, I have pretty much never asked for help in just about anything. My Dad was military, my Mom was military, I was military, and yup, a whole lot of emphasis on and pride in being self sufficient has come with my lifestyle.

So, without further ado, I hesitatingly am asking your opinions.......and your help. Do you think it really is a key factor in losing the fat......community support that is? If so, well, this is the first time I am going to ask for help in my endeavor to lose fat. If you believe it is important, I would humbly request that you would help me......to hold me accountable......in this endeavor.

I have read quite a few of your stories and I have to admit, I admire a lot of you folks. A lot of you have accomplished so much. Your stories, your efforts, your results, your before and after pics...........all very inspirational.

Thank you for letting me take up a little of your time. Thank you for taking the time to read a little of my story. Please, let me know if you would like to help me. I do appreciate your time and your thoughts. I have nobody I know with whom I can share this endeavor. My wife is a wonderful lady but I have 'cried wolf' so many times she doesn't know what to believe anymore.....and that is my fault. I need to rebuild that trust to where when I say I am going to do something, she automatically believes it will get done.....just because I said so.

So, again, thank you.

Take Care,

Mike

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story Mike. I do feel that the community spirit on MFP has helped me. I have ''met" some lovely people on here, from all different countries and walks of life. That in itself is worthwhile. I pop on daily to check updates from my MFP friends and log my food while I am there. Feel free to add me if you like and good luck with your journey.
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    The community does help when there are questions to be answered and if you're looking for advice. Motivation can be helpful, as well, but all in all, it's up to you.

My first time around I totally kicked *kitten*, I got my 4 pack going working on a 6 pack and got sick. I decided to keep working out and I gained 15lbs. I hurt myself and had to stop working out for about 2 1/2 months. I just recently came back in full force as of September. I had given up a lot of the friends I had previously on MFP because I knew they weren't the ones to get the job done, it was me. If I had any questions, of course, I would ask.

In the end, we can all encourage you, but, you need to want this bad enough for yourself! Good luck :)
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    feel free to add me.....I'm on here every day and I will be happy to give support and encouragement....at my heaviest back in 2002/2003 I was around 185lb....when I started mfp back in January 2012, I was 172lb....right now I'm 135lb and trying to get back down to about 120lb....I succeeded and then starting lifting and the scales went up....the fact that you are asking for help is the first step.....everyone on here is awesome...you will get loads of support.....don't give up!!! you can do it!!!:)
  • 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    Welcome to MFP! Thank you for sharing your story. I was on and off myself now at 43 it's harder than ever but I been sticking to it. I log on here every day because I have a personal trainer looking at what I eat every day. Feel free to add me!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Hi Mike! We're about the same age and yes, it's harder as we get older! Sucks, doesn't it? If only I knew then what I know now... Add me. :)
  • Hi Mike
    Yes I know what you mean about getting older and the weight not wanting to come off. Please feel free to add this army brat lol. And everyone else who wishes some new friends :)