Need help on blood work numbers

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote:
    Examples of grains I can find when out of the house during the day?
    I have a microwave and a debit card as my only nutritional tools.
    That's going to limit what you can cook...

Rinse the canned beans to remove a lot of the salt.
    Someone's mentioned cooked beans in the frozen foods section.
    Couscous is a fast grain (basically pour boiling water over it & let it sit for 3-5 minutes).
    Amaranth & quinoa have lots of protein, but take longer to cook, so I'm not sure how it would work in the microwave.
    Instant or quick-cooking oatmeal, with a tablespoon of oat bran or ground flaxseed mixed in.
    Someone's already mentioned pre-made brown rice.
    Whole-grain bread (I like Brownberry), whole-wheat tortillas.

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, congrat's on your weight loss so far!
    :smiley::sweat_smile:
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have reversed all of the blood work detected variables from the "red zone" to the lower end of the acceptable range. Here are some tips that work:

To lower cholesterol - minimize saturated fat & cholesterol in fat, its the saturated fat that contributes to cholesterol more than cholesterol itself.

Sodium is not the enemy entirely. Your body needs it as an essential electrolyte. If you are now exercising and sweating a lot, drinking a lot of water, you need the daily RDA of around 2300mgs of sodium or your blood pressure will start dropping too far and you will start getting light headed. But, if you are not active and just trying to eat right, you can do OK with just 1500 mgs of sodium

For a high A1C, implying you being hyper glycemic, you really need to exercise (cardio+weight training) to burn off that extra glucose in your blood. But, from a nutrition standpoint, here is what works:

use MFP to plan your meals the day before and then execute on that plan
    don't use it as an after the fact calorie tracker
    eat 3 major meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 minor meals or snacks in between
    part each meal 2-3 hours apart and eat around the same time each day
    limit your carbs to no more than 55-65 grams per major meal and about 20 grams per snack meal
    include about 20-25 grams of protein and about 10 grams of good fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil ,etc) in each major meal
    note - proteins and fats slow down the break down of glucose and will help your condition
    chose all your carbs from the low and medium glycemic index food categories. just google for glycemic index foods and it will give you the foods to chose from. Low to Medium glycemic index means it won't spike your blood glucose upon eating. A1C is primarily affected by post meal spikes in your blood glucose.

Eat more fiber in your meal. DO NOT worry about natural sugar, much of found in fruits. What matters is your total carb consumption limited to the range mentioned above. Do avoid added or direct sugar intake though.

Also, all the good fats found in fish oil, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, olive oil, avocado, etc. also help with cholesterol.

Consume one dose of flax seed, it helps with cholesterol

Lose weight and stay active with at least 30 minutes of cardio daily.

If all of this does not make sense, see a registered dietitian and she will repeat it for you!!

Good luck!!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    If you haven't met with a registered dietitian recently, you can ask your doctor for a referral. She'll look at what you're currently eating and make suggestions for changes to your food choices so you can reach your health goals. ~Lynn /Glucerna

^^^^^this

I get so much mixed information. I am going to start with what the dietician told me and see how my numbers go.

Good for you! It is shocking and scary how many MFP members tell others to ignore medical professionals. As if logging food and losing weight trumps years of medical training. It is so dangerous.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Total cholesterol was 250 with hdl 52 which is up 7 from last time and triglycerides are 80 which is down 16. A1C is a 5.8. weight down 14lbs in 3 months, down 67lbs in 18 month and down 93 from life time high. The doctor was just being a dick telling me I was not eating as good as I thought I wass and not exercising as much as I should.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Listening to your RD is an excellent strategy, and hopefully you have some follow-up visits with her so that you can ask more questions. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Total cholesterol was 250 with hdl 52 which is up 7 from last time and triglycerides are 80 which is down 16. A1C is a 5.8. weight down 14lbs in 3 months, down 67lbs in 18 month and down 93 from life time high. The doctor was just being a dick telling me I was not eating as good as I thought I wass and not exercising as much as I should.

Sorry that you have to deal with him. Geez.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote:
    Examples of grains I can find when out of the house during the day?
    I have a microwave and a debit card as my only nutritional tools.
    That's going to limit what you can cook...

Rinse the canned beans to remove a lot of the salt.
    Someone's mentioned cooked beans in the frozen foods section.
    Couscous is a fast grain (basically pour boiling water over it & let it sit for 3-5 minutes).
    Amaranth & quinoa have lots of protein, but take longer to cook, so I'm not sure how it would work in the microwave.
    Instant or quick-cooking oatmeal, with a tablespoon of oat bran or ground flaxseed mixed in.
    Someone's already mentioned pre-made brown rice.
    Whole-grain bread (I like Brownberry), whole-wheat tortillas.

51637601.png

On the oatmeal - you can make steel-cut or rolled oats in the microwave, too, you just have to experiment a bit. I mention because the texture of instant is totally different and for some (like me) it's a deal breaker.

For Silver Palate brand steel-cut oats, for example, you mix oats and water (plus any seasonings/sweeteners) as usual then nuke for 10min on 50% power (lower on a more powerful microwave). You want the mixture to be simmering the whole time - or as close to it as a microwave can get. They come out just as nice as if you'd made them the long way on a stove.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    If you haven't met with a registered dietitian recently, you can ask your doctor for a referral. She'll look at what you're currently eating and make suggestions for changes to your food choices so you can reach your health goals. ~Lynn /Glucerna

^^^^^this

I get so much mixed information. I am going to start with what the dietician told me and see how my numbers go.

Good for you! It is shocking and scary how many MFP members tell others to ignore medical professionals. As if logging food and losing weight trumps years of medical training. It is so dangerous.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've only seen that recommendation given when the OP is either talking about a general practitioner, who typically has a one semester course in nutrition, not years' worth - and frequently with outdated information at that - or OP has described blatantly incorrect or outdated advice coming from said doctor.

I wouldn't recommend following anyone's advice, doctor or no, on anything impacting your health without doing a little research first. Doctors are human. Not all of them were at the top of their class. They occasionally make mistakes, and they occasionally make suggestions in areas where they don't know their you-know-what from a hole in the ground. Simply double-checking the info given can save you a world of trouble.