Weight loss and dress size changes

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 35-40 lbs to go down two sizes (down from a 16 to a 12). I'm sure your body frame and height can affect those things as well. I am 5'7" and have large hips and thighs, so some size 12 pants fit me well and others are too tight, depending on the manufacturer. I just bought a Banana Republic dress in a size 12, and I currently weigh 175. My weight when I was a size 16 was 210-215.

See...this is where body types and shapes comes into play. I'm 5'7 and my starting weight was 210 and I was a size 12. Now I'm about 170 and wear a lose size 8 from Banana, J Crew, Express, etc.

• klaxxcamp
    klaxxcamp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8lbs and can fit in a size down (although still a bit tight!) so yes I'd say about 10-12lbs.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about 10-15 pounds. I was a size 20@230 and a size 9/10 now @ 170. I am 5'5".
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I needed some work pants and went to Macy's and thought I was a size 4 and they were too big..2's fit perfectly, but never thought of myself as a size 2. Anne Klein, Alfani, etc. I have jeans that are size 27 and they fit fine and another pair of jeans that are 6 that are just starting to get big. So jeans, 4-6, dress pants, size 2.

Being short, 5'1", I would say every 10 lbs, I went down a size.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been tracking my pants sizes. I am 5'7" and here are my sizes at each weight (I carry extra weight in the hips/thighs):

188: Size 16
    176: Size 14
    164: Size 12
    157 (current): Still in 12s, but may be ready for a 10 around 150.

So I guess for me it's time for a size shift around every 12 pounds...
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My SW was 265. My size 18 jeans were tight on me. My CW is 239. I am wearing size 16 jeans comfortably. They are even a bit loose! :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 35-40 lbs to go down two sizes (down from a 16 to a 12). I'm sure your body frame and height can affect those things as well. I am 5'7" and have large hips and thighs, so some size 12 pants fit me well and others are too tight, depending on the manufacturer. I just bought a Banana Republic dress in a size 12, and I currently weigh 175. My weight when I was a size 16 was 210-215.

See...this is where body types and shapes comes into play. I'm 5'7 and my starting weight was 210 and I was a size 12. Now I'm about 170 and wear a lose size 8 from Banana, J Crew, Express, etc.

And for me, I've been wearing size 11-12 since high school (and 120lbs) simply because I have very wide hips and long legs. I can't go below a size 11 because they'll either be too short or I can't fasten them well over my hips. So, yeah, you can't rely on other's experiences as anything more then a general guideline.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    MRS189 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how much weight everyone lost when they noticed a change in their dress size? I am 5'3 and had a SW of 189, I know that losing just over 5 pounds is a fantastic start in 2 weeks, it's just that I am hoping that I can get down to a size 16 (down 1 size) before my husbands Xmas dinner in 26 days.

Something I've noticed: The larger one is the more pounds there are between sizes. For instance; When I was a size 24, I had to lose about 30 pounds before fitting into 22's. Then, about 20 pounds to get into size 20's. Now, after losing just 13 more pounds, I can fit into 18's. Lol, it's getting expensive having to buy new jeans.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Since clothing sizes vary so much by brand, I tend to pick a brand I wear a lot as reference. I'm 5'1" and 10lbs down so far, and that was good for one size in the same brand -- Banana Republic 14 Petite to 12 Petite. My goal is to get back to a size 8 Petite, which is a healthy weight for me, even though plenty of women at 5'1" would probably be able to wear a size 2 or 0. That will never be me, since my hips just don't go that small even without the fat. That's okay.

Having said that, it really depends on height and weight and how you carry your weight (hips, mid-section, etc.) BUT... it also depends on body composition! A woman who is 5'4" and 130lbs and 25% body fat will be a very different size than the same woman who is 40% body fat.

So weight loss, yeah. But also exercise. Because you can lose pounds without losing inches if you aren't toning.

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Allow me to share with you the weight/size timeline I've experienced over the last few years:

Highest weight in 2008: 291lbs, size 22 (I am 6'2")
    Lowest weight in 2010: 189lbs, size 12-14 depending on the brand
    Regained weight pre-MFP, weight in September 2013: 281lbs, size 18
    Currently: Size 10-12 depending on the clothing... and I am 217lbs as of this morning. 28lbs heavier than I was in a larger size 12 in 2010.

I don't understand it at all, and I've began caring less and less about my weight on the scale as long as my clothes are getting smaller. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Depends where you lose. I've lost a solid 35 pounds and have really only gone from a size 16 jean to a size 14. It's kind of depressing. But my T-shirts have gone from XL to M. I'm hoping my thighs slim down here soon because my pants are so lose around my waist I feel gross in them (and belts don't help, it just bunches the fabric). So I keep trying different brands/fits/etc. The never ending battle of buying smaller clothes! But my pear shape is turning into an hour glass :)

I would suggest just doing your best from now to the Xmas party and buy the dress a week before!
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    MRS189 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how much weight everyone lost when they noticed a change in their dress size?

I feel like no matter how much weight I lose or gain I havn't noticed any change in my dress size. Can anyone tell me why?

• segacs
    Options
    I feel like no matter how much weight I lose or gain I havn't noticed any change in my dress size. Can anyone tell me why?

Well, dude, if you don't wear dresses...
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So much truth here!
    Between the larger sizes being more accommodating, and wearing my pants too tight to start, it took me nearly 35 lbs before I really needed to consider new clothes. And just as I spent $100+ on a few new pairs of work pants, they are all now too big just 10 lbs later. (14s really are little @#$^$%#s) Lol.
  • MRS189
    MRS189 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for these details and your personal experiences. I plan on starting my 30-day shred tonight to start my toning and I feel like my week day eating habits are on the right track! My weekend are not quite as disciplined but I'm working on it.
  • lohkin
    lohkin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is very eye opening! :o It must be primarily based on body comp, then, because I weigh 160 and am 4'10 but wear a larger size (14) than some of the taller women in this thread that weigh more than me. Being at the cusp of the straight/plus size category has been really difficult. I very rarely buy pants because I am so short, so I totally know what the previous poster was talking about with skirts/dresses being easier.
  • segacs
    Options
    lohkin wrote: »
    This is very eye opening! :o It must be primarily based on body comp, then, because I weigh 160 and am 4'10 but wear a larger size (14) than some of the taller women in this thread that weigh more than me. Being at the cusp of the straight/plus size category has been really difficult. I very rarely buy pants because I am so short, so I totally know what the previous poster was talking about with skirts/dresses being easier.

Being a cusp size is tough, I agree. Being a petite cusp size is even tougher. Being a petite cusp size AND Canadian is toughest of all, IMHO, since we have so few options.

One of my major motivations was to slim down so I could get back into Banana Republic 12P, since BR Canada doesn't carry 14P and it's pretty much the only store that has petite at all. There also aren't any stores that carry petite plus sizes except Reitmans, and their stuff is so fugly that my fear of being forced to wear it was enough motivation for me to kick my weight loss into high gear.

(Pants are easy since I can shorten regular length ones. Dresses, tops and jackets are harder for me, since I have such a short torso and narrow shoulders that I simply can't wear regular sizes at all.)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I have a couple in 14, but I'm really trying to skip 14 and go to 12. Lots of belting and clothes that are too big, but I'm so tired of paying for new wardrobes constantly and then having to say goodbye to things I liked. I'd like to skip 14, lol.

I'm trying to skip 14 too!

I started Aug. 7th at 168.8 lbs, size 16.
    Current weight is 148.2 and a size 14.
    Not sure how low I will have to go to hit 12.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Depends where you lose. I've lost a solid 35 pounds and have really only gone from a size 16 jean to a size 14. It's kind of depressing. But my T-shirts have gone from XL to M. I'm hoping my thighs slim down here soon because my pants are so lose around my waist I feel gross in them (and belts don't help, it just bunches the fabric). So I keep trying different brands/fits/etc. The never ending battle of buying smaller clothes! But my pear shape is turning into an hour glass :)

So true! I think this is why I'm not dropping pant sizes quicker, I've lost 2+ inches of the girls! :o

• segacs
    Options
    So true! I think this is why I'm not dropping pant sizes quicker, I've lost 2+ inches of the girls! :o

Dropping bra sizes still counts as dropping sizes!