Slimming World?

Options
I'm planning to join in an hour. Has anyone done it? I'm 5'2 and 9st7, my happy weight is 8st.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do a quick search for it. Lots of folks have used it before. They may have some good insights.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My wife is doing it... she loves it. never hungry and has lost 1and a half stone in about 16 weeks.
  • annethom1980
    Options
    I follow slimming world and have had good results, the plan is pretty straight forward to follow and keeps me full and happy, as all the food is fresh and home cooked its quite a clean way of eating
    Feel free to add me
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am going to a slimming world group weekly but also track my calories. its a great way to weigh in once a week, make friends, have a lot of support from an understanding group and their views on food teaches you a lot about better eating habbits :) I am all for it
  • kingswaychi
    kingswaychi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My mum has been going she has lost 10st
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey OP how did it go?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its not the starting these so called 'diets' its the keeping them up...of course you lose on them if you put the effort in but you have to be prepared to eat that way for the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off....I know soo many people who have lost loads of weight doing WW/SW and others only to pile it all back on when they resumed 'normal' eating.
    It has to be a life change with new and better habits formed to ensure the weight stays off. I've tried them all and until MFP which has kept me better informed as to calories/macros etc - this was the turning point for me after 20+ years of yo yo dieting.
    I have been maintaining for almost a year now. And its all FREE :-D whats not to love :)
    Wishing you well on your weight loss journey :)
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nope, haven't tried it. I'm on the "caloric deficit diet." It works great! :)
  • Fizz500d
    Fizz500d Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Its not the starting these so called 'diets' its the keeping them up...of course you lose on them if you put the effort in but you have to be prepared to eat that way for the rest of your life if you want to keep the weight off....I know soo many people who have lost loads of weight doing WW/SW and others only to pile it all back on when they resumed 'normal' eating.
    It has to be a life change with new and better habits formed to ensure the weight stays off. I've tried them all and until MFP which has kept me better informed as to calories/macros etc - this was the turning point for me after 20+ years of yo yo dieting.
    I have been maintaining for almost a year now. And its all FREE :-D whats not to love :)

Sure that's all true however the people I know doing SW would personally consider it more of a lifestyle change than counting calories (and macros) it all depends on what floats your personal boat. My aunt would probably fall off the wagon by not accurately logging on MFP far more easily than making sure to have 1/3 low carb veg or whatever.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the plan as I can't be chained to the kitchen as much as it wanted me to be for the best results, and I do need more structured portion control but there's no doubt it has its strong supporters.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Maybe so but a lot of those "diets" teach you about portion control. The "points" part of WW is pretty much portion control. I think the ones where people lose the weight and then put it back on are the diets that send you pre-packaged meals that you just pop into the microwave. I've known people who have done WW (family members) and kept the weight off and adopted a healthier lifestyle because of it.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "There are no portion limits, no pills, shakes or special diet foods. There’s no weighing or measuring, no calorie, fat or carb counting.

Our generous eating plan – called Food Optimising – makes losing weight easier than you ever thought possible"

Sounds kinda like a gimmick to me :/ ....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fact: the vast majority of people gain the weight back. MFP included.
    OP: be one of the ones who don't, by learning a ton during the process and making a plan.
    imho, THOSE are the people who are successful: the ones who learn a lot, make real sustainable changes to the way they eat, and have a plan for the future.

Nothing magical about SW, WW, SB, MFP or anything else.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    OP: be one of the ones who don't, by learning a ton during the process and making a plan.
    imho, THOSE are the people who are successful: the ones who learn a lot, make real sustainable changes to the way they eat, and have a plan for the future.

I think the vast majority is something like 90% within two years regain what they lost and many go on to gain even more. It's rather depressing but only true life style changes reall y work in the long run.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I did Slimming World some years ago and lost weight quite easily.

It's not so much a gimmick as the diet creating a calorie deficit at the end of it all. The generous eating is that on some days you can eat as much lean protein as you want and on others lots of carbs, but things like butter, chocolate, booze and cheese are still rationed. The end result is less calories, but for some people it's easier to stick to the diet and have support at face to face meetings.

Like most dieters, I gained the weight back. I didn't like being able to eat as much as I liked (of certain foods) as it didn't teach me portion control. I also didn't like the group leader saying that exercise wasn't that important (not just for weight loss either) - even at my largest I still cycled to work and went swimming.

Slimming World, like Weight Watchers has lots of things that I would consider to be the ghosts of real food too. You don't have to eat them, but cookbooks extolling the virtues of things like tiramisu, korma and trifle made with quark or Total 0% makes baby Jesus cry.

I have lost a lot of weight and kept it off by using MFP, but it's still just calories in/out. I happen to prefer this format. It's free and no-one will suggest I make a 'chocolate cake' out of Weetabix and cocoa.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I think the vast majority is something like 90% within two years regain what they lost and many go on to gain even more. It's rather depressing but only true life style changes reall y work in the long run.

More than likely because they hit their goal weight and then go back to their old habits. For some reason they don't understand that it's not a one-shot deal, that you must continue to work at it for the long run.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

More than likely because they hit their goal weight and then go back to their old habits. For some reason they don't understand that it's not a one-shot deal, that you must continue to work at it for the long run.

I think that's the general conclusion that is drawn. Most people who lose through a diet hit a goal but are so geared towards the diet that they forget to learn how to undo those years of bad habits that got them to where they were in the first place. If you don't learn how to maintain then you just go back to your old habits and your weight soon follows. This is absolutley predictible.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I did it, and yeah it helped me lose weight, but it does become a bit of a chore, and boring. I found it restrictive- I'd spend day in and day out just eating heaps of bananas, clementines, with maybe two packets of crisps as syns. It is very healthy, but I am much happier with MFP, as although I have to log everything, I, MYSELF, get to choose what I want to eat, and do not find it restrictive whatsoever.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When you hit target there, you can have more syns as a sort of reward, but I think that is where it becomes a recipe for disaster.