if your body goes into starvation mode, how long does it take to get out of it?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Would the person who keeps disagreeing step up and identify themselves then highlight what they disagree with?

For full disclosure, I have zero expectation they will. That would be a mature and logical approach that would also require them to rationalize and justify their repeated clicking of a button.

The whole point of the disagree button was so that people could indicate they disagreed with a post without having to have multiple posts explaining why they disagree. Do you really need justification of why people disagree that eating too little will cause the body to store the energy that it doesn't have?

Looking at how many disagreements are to posts saying that starvation mode doesn't exist ... yeah. Notice how the only people that step up are the logical ones that grasp that "starvation mode" is a fallacy?

The ones disagreeing to posts saying "Eating too little is not going to keep you from losing weight" (yep, someone disagreed to that) ... "there is no starvation mode" (also disagreed with) ... "The mode where you undereat for so long that it "crashes" your metabolism and transforms everything you eat into fat (not just weight)? If you ever reach that point you should volunteer your body to science." (again, someone found issue with that) ... and all without a shred of reasoning as to why.

Most of those posts are from 2014. The disagree button didn’t even exist then. And then it was a nebulous “woo” button for a few years.

It’s unlikely that the person who disagreed with something at some point in the last 6 years will be here to answer your questions.

The person with the current issue could maybe have started their own topic rather than resurrecting this particular 6 year old thread instead. But that’s not against the rules so no harm. Just muddies the waters a lot.

Every quote I provided was in THIS THREAD (read page 1 if you think they are from the day's of 2014 and "woo" to realize how wrong you are). Try again with fact and logic ... or claim starvation mode made you do it.
  • brianpperkins131
    Options
    Would the person who keeps disagreeing step up and identify themselves then highlight what they disagree with?

For full disclosure, I have zero expectation they will. That would be a mature and logical approach that would also require them to rationalize and justify their repeated clicking of a button.

The whole point of the disagree button was so that people could indicate they disagreed with a post without having to have multiple posts explaining why they disagree. Do you really need justification of why people disagree that eating too little will cause the body to store the energy that it doesn't have?

Looking at how many disagreements are to posts saying that starvation mode doesn't exist ... yeah. Notice how the only people that step up are the logical ones that grasp that "starvation mode" is a fallacy?

The ones disagreeing to posts saying "Eating too little is not going to keep you from losing weight" (yep, someone disagreed to that) ... "there is no starvation mode" (also disagreed with) ... "The mode where you undereat for so long that it "crashes" your metabolism and transforms everything you eat into fat (not just weight)? If you ever reach that point you should volunteer your body to science." (again, someone found issue with that) ... and all without a shred of reasoning as to why.

Most of those posts are from 2014. The disagree button didn’t even exist then. And then it was a nebulous “woo” button for a few years.

It’s unlikely that the person who disagreed with something at some point in the last 6 years will be here to answer your questions.

The person with the current issue could maybe have started their own topic rather than resurrecting this particular 6 year old thread instead. But that’s not against the rules so no harm. Just muddies the waters a lot.

Every quote I provided was in THIS THREAD (read page 1 if you think they are from the day's of 2014 and "woo" to realize how wrong you are). Try again with fact and logic ... or claim starvation mode made you do it.

This thread began in 2014. Many of the posts you quoted were made years ago.

I did not look at the date. Yet people still disagree with logic ... anonymously which you then implicitly defended.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I did not look at the date. Yet people still disagree with logic ... anonymously which you then implicitly defended.

I didn't defend anything. I noted that the whole point of the disagree button is that it allows people to express disagreement without having to derail the thread with discussions of why they disagree. Do you think this thread would be BETTER if there were several responses explaining why starvation mode is a totally real thing and we need to watch out for it?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

P 1 of this thread is all from 2014. Look at the dates on the posts. Look at the date on the OP.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    The ‘woos’ were simply deleted when the button disappeared.

Any disagrees on the early posts in this 6 year old thread have come from it’s recent resurrection (or at some point between the instigation of ‘disagree’ and now, anyway).
  • brianpperkins131
    Options

I didn't defend anything. I noted that the whole point of the disagree button is that it allows people to express disagreement without having to derail the thread with discussions of why they disagree. Do you think this thread would be BETTER if there were several responses explaining why starvation mode is a totally real thing and we need to watch out for it?

I'm a big fan of people having to intellectually support whatever position they take, not just anonymously click a button. The anonymous click of a button permits one to be a critic without ever having do to the thought to offer a critique.

As pointed out in another reply here, the disagree clicks are not from the original era of this thread. They are much more recent events.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The anonymous click of a button permits one to be a critic without ever having do to the thought to offer a critique.

I know it's not the popular belief on here but I agree 100%...

• SharpWellbeing
    SharpWellbeing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    True starvation response is pretty much only seen before death at very low levels of body fat. Adaptive thermogenesis is something else that many call starvation mode but it seems to be somewhat lasting although how much it really affects weight regain and BMR is a matter of some debate.

Off the top of my head adaptive thermogenesis can count up to 20%. (Similar to someone with PCOS)
  • SharpWellbeing
    Options
    As touched upon above starvation mode in what the majority believe it to be doesn't exist (the Minnesota starvation experiment is an interest read). Having said that, as mentioned by wheelhouse adaptive thermogenesis does exist and that's through damage to the metabolism so to speak.
  • SharpWellbeing
    Options
    Just seen that this is an old thread, hadn't looked properly. oops.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

I'm a big fan of people having to intellectually support whatever position they take, not just anonymously click a button. The anonymous click of a button permits one to be a critic without ever having do to the thought to offer a critique.

As pointed out in another reply here, the disagree clicks are not from the original era of this thread. They are much more recent events.

*Deleted response*