Runners Long Distance?

Options
What do you consider long distance running?

Replies

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Anything higher than a half-marathon is a long distance run to me. Up to that seems fairly doable. Anything higher requires tons of commitment in terms of time and education. I'm currently training for my first half.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Over 10 miles
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Anything over 5 miles. My "normal" runs are 3-4.5 miles, so anything 5 or more is 'long'.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10+ miles.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I high school I thought of the runners that ran the mile as long distance runners (we didn't have cross country). Now that thought is just comical to me.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    As a training run or a race?

I think of anything past about 16 as a long run.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Trail or race, treadmill or outdoors. I was just thinking in general.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I think a long run is anything that needs to be partly undertaken below lactate threshold.

But subjectively, it's all relative isn't it. Anything above my capability seems "long" to me. When I couldn't go 5kms, that seemed like long distance running. Now I've run a marathon, ultra-runners seem like the long distance people.....there's always someone raising the bar :D
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Seems subjective but I think 5K or less is short, upto a half is middle distance and after that you get into long then ultra.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Long distance running is defined as anything from 5000 meters (5K or 3.1 miles) on up. That length is the difference between "track and field" (shorter than 5K) and "cross-country" (5K and over) in high school and college athletics.

I've personally gotten to the point where I consider 5K to be a "short run" as in "I'm going out for a short run, be back in about a half hour".
  • cierrashadows
    cierrashadows Posts: 21
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You guys really think you have to go far! I was a "distance" runner in high school and our typical practices were 3-4 miles so I've always thought that was distance running. I ran 10.25 miles yesterday, something which I think is a pretty big feat, but apparently that isn't distance running to most of you!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You guys really think you have to go far! I was a "distance" runner in high school and our typical practices were 3-4 miles so I've always thought that was distance running. I ran 10.25 miles yesterday, something which I think is a pretty big feat, but apparently that isn't distance running to most of you!

I don't go over 10K right now so 10.25 miles is pretty long for me! :)
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    anything over 10 miles is long run for me, where I need to plan a bit more for...under that i just get up and go and sometimes end up running further than anticipated!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I generally think of 15 miles as my threshold for "long" run but as has been made clear that is a subjective term.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ten miles for me at the moment
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    for me it's anything over a 5k.

Because I still can't believe I can actually run a 5k. Hell I can't even believe I can run a freaking mile.

Oh my gosh. I can run a 5k.

As always you guys are so freaking inspiring.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    800 -1500meters are middle distance and all above are long in terms of the "official sport", as they require majority aerobic work. For me personally...5k-26.2miles :)
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I consider a long run to be anything over 6 miles. I am working on always being ready to run a half marathon.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Anything over 18 miles...

eta "miles" to avoid the km confusion,,,
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yes i believe technically long distance is 5k and beyond. But personally i feel long distance is any distance I'd prefer not to push my jogging stroller for. 13.2 miles and beyond would be a long distance. I do think i would enjoy the challenge of pushing the stroller for a marathon, but finding a race to comply and a willing child (my daughter is only tolerant up to 2:30) would be difficult.