Sprinting Workout Ideas?

Options
I've been running off and on for several years and have gotten okay-ish at 5K trail runs. I have no desire to become a distance runner. However, lately I've been incorporating running sprints into my exercise routine (which is mostly Crossfit, yoga, olympic lifting, hiking, & powerlifting). I'm really starting to like sprinting. I do some rowing sprints too, but for now, I'd like to focus on running.

Anyone have any resources or good workouts for beginning sprinters? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm up for outdoor ideas, but it's frozen where I live now with ice all over, so treadmill or indoor track ideas are especially welcomed.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Kelly, if your gym has a Woodway Curve, it is fantastic for sprint workouts!! It is great for interval training. You can read about it on a blog (not mine) here.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but when I started sprints I did running drills and intervals along with my sprints. They were fun and a good way to change up my regular routine.

Running Drills to improve form and speed
    http://youtu.be/mAiAvupFT6g

How to Increase your Speed - How do you get Faster
    http://youtu.be/2_t7YTFFAkY
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will check these out. :)
  • jmido
    jmido Posts: 18
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Crazy eights- run 8 laps on track, 300 meters at about 80% speed and then 100 meter jog before starting next rep.

Ladder- run a 40m, then 100m, then 200m, then 300m, then 400m, then 500m. Once you get to 500, go back down until you get to 40m.

Suicides- over 40meters, mark 4 or 5 spots. Sprint to closest spot and back, then next closest and back. Do this for all spots without stopping inbetween.

Intervals- on a track sprint the straights and jog the curves. Do this for like 1-2 miles.

I was a sprinter on our track team when i was in high school. These are some of workouts we did.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Kelly, if your gym has a Woodway Curve, it is fantastic for sprint workouts!! It is great for interval training. You can read about it on a blog (not mine) here.

That is really cool. I do tons of treadmill sprint work in my bootcamp class. Can't say I love it at all but it has made my speed and endurance better. I can message you a some examples of what we do. I do outside stuff too but you said it's a little cold for that.