sleep off 500 calories?!

jacolyncoker
jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Did you know that for every 9 hours of sleep that you get you burn around 500 calories?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    That dress is your reward!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Really?
    That would actually be a decrease for me.

I did a little test and just sat around for an hour a few different days with my HRM on to see how many calories a burn in an hour just existing (no exercise). I averaged about 100 calories an hour. So sleeping would actually decrease my existing calorie burn! If I think about it though, it seems like people's heart rate decreases once they're in a deep sleep.

That's interesting to think about!
  • jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Really?
    That would actually be a decrease for me.

I did a little test and just sat around for an hour a few different days with my HRM on to see how many calories a burn in an hour just existing (no exercise). I averaged about 100 calories an hour. So sleeping would actually decrease my existing calorie burn! If I think about it though, it seems like people's heart rate decreases once they're in a deep sleep.

That's interesting to think about!

Yeah, true. I think it also matters how much you weigh, because someone who is a bit heavier will burn more calories doing the same activity than someone who is lighter than them. Also interesting... haha
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Yeah, 500 would be a decrease for me, too. I burn about 150 cals/hr just sitting on my butt :)
    Even if you cut 150 in half and multiply it by 9 hours, 500 is still less.
This discussion has been closed.