Ladies! I need some help :(

Options
Around 4 months ago I stopped using the contraceptive pill. Since then I have gained 7lbs, on top of the weight I had already put on through a general unhealthy lifestyle. For the past month I have cut down my carbs and I attend at least two 2 hours gym sessions a week. However my weight has not changed. Could this be due to the pill? Has anybody else had this problem? How did you overcome it? It's really disheartening when you don't see any results. Before I went on the pill I lost 2 stone just through eating healthily and going to the gym now and again, nothing strict. Any advice will be appreciated :)

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to the doctors and speak to them about it.

Have you been a lot more hungrier since you came off the pill? Consuming more calories?

Or would it be water retention - You drinking enough water.

To lose weight you need to eat less than you burn
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Laura100AC wrote: »
    Around 4 months ago I stopped using the contraceptive pill. Since then I have gained 7lbs, on top of the weight I had already put on through a general unhealthy lifestyle. For the past month I have cut down my carbs and I attend at least two 2 hours gym sessions a week. However my weight has not changed. Could this be due to the pill? Has anybody else had this problem? How did you overcome it? It's really disheartening when you don't see any results. Before I went on the pill I lost 2 stone just through eating healthily and going to the gym now and again, nothing strict. Any advice will be appreciated :)

that's not a foolproof way of losing weight

weigh and log all your food and eat at a calorie defecit and the weight will drop off
  • SophNewts
    SophNewts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

I am no Doctor and by no means trying to tell you that you're imaging things but I am a very strong believer that the pill is not related to weight gain. I believe that hormones control us both mentally and physically and can make us feel differently, whether this increases our appetite or perhaps makes us feel other emotions that drive us to want to eat more (sadness, anxiety etc etc). In my opinion its a case of mind over matter, if you are genuinely following a calorie reduced diet and exercising more, you will see results - stick with it. I have been on the pill for nearly 10 years and have been at both my heaviest and lowest weights during this time so I don't see a connection between the two. However, I do think my cravings and desire to be greedy increase at certain times of the month when I'm feeling hormonal and I just do my best not to give in to these and don't change my approach to having treat meals and generally being good during all week and a bit more relaxed at the weekend. I do as much exercise as I can (which isn't more than 1 hour's cardio a week and a lot of walking on my commute as I work long hours) and this approach has got me from 12st 4lbs at my heaviest down to 8st 10lbs (I'm 5''3) and maintaining / still losing slowly. I hope this helps :smile:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Which pill were you using? One of the things my physician told me when I stopped taking Yasmin was that it actually had a diuretic in it so I might see some water weight gain... I don't think it would last for 4 months however.

Are you tracking your caloric intake? Cutting down on carbs alone isn't enough to lose weight--you need to eat at a deficit.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advice! I have to admit there are some days where I stop logging my food and think i'm doing okay, it's probably these days I need to work on. :s
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    SophNewts wrote: »
    Hi Laura,

I am no Doctor and by no means trying to tell you that you're imaging things but I am a very strong believer that the pill is not related to weight gain. I believe that hormones control us both mentally and physically and can make us feel differently, whether this increases our appetite or perhaps makes us feel other emotions that drive us to want to eat more (sadness, anxiety etc etc). In my opinion its a case of mind over matter, if you are genuinely following a calorie reduced diet and exercising more, you will see results - stick with it. I have been on the pill for nearly 10 years and have been at both my heaviest and lowest weights during this time so I don't see a connection between the two. However, I do think my cravings and desire to be greedy increase at certain times of the month when I'm feeling hormonal and I just do my best not to give in to these and don't change my approach to having treat meals and generally being good during all week and a bit more relaxed at the weekend. I do as much exercise as I can (which isn't more than 1 hour's cardio a week and a lot of walking on my commute as I work long hours) and this approach has got me from 12st 4lbs at my heaviest down to 8st 10lbs (I'm 5''3) and maintaining / still losing slowly. I hope this helps :smile:

I am currently almost the weight you were and aiming to be around the weight you are aha. Thank you for your help! :#
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating at a caloric deficit? To lose weight you need to burn more than you eat. Watching carbs/protein/fat/whatever is how you choose to eat, but you won't necessarily lose weight.

The pill can do weird things. It can take some months for your body to adapt to the changed hormones, so 1 month isn't anything to worry about IMO. Just carry on with what you're doing, don't worry about the scale too much, enjoy your workouts and log your food.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SophNewts wrote: »
    Hi Laura,

Sounds related to me. :)
    OP: many folks notice a few pounds falling off (water, primarily) after stopping the pill, not a few pounds up. Maybe check with your doc.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Start by logging accurately, weigh your food. If you don't know how much you are actually eating then you can't contribute your weight to just coming off the pill.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    pander101 wrote: »
    Start by logging accurately, weigh your food. If you don't know how much you are actually eating then you can't contribute your weight to just coming off the pill.

Great advice, this would be my first step.