Back Injury?

Options
BenjaminMFP88
BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Some background first. About 6 months ago I was on back day and working through my deadlifts. I was on my last set on going heavy. I worked through my set and felt fine until I put the weight down. As soon as I released the weight and stood back up I had the most excruciating pain in my lower back. Fast forward through 6 months of resting to leg day yesterday. I lowered my weight significantly to about 60% of my 1rm, first rep fine, second rep I felt like my back just gave in. After racking the weight I had similar pain but this time in my upper back. It seems like it's already getting better after just after resting last night. But this has me concerned, is this common for these lifts? I've been working out for almost 12 years and I always get regular confirm from PT's saying my form is perfect. These are the only two instances where I've felt this degree of pain after lifting and it's a little discerning that I failed out at only a measly 60%. Do you think it's likely that my form just slipped up or maybe I could have something more jacked up in my spine? I have scoliosis but it's never affected me in my physical performance like this. One last questions, if this is just a slip in form, do you think a lifting belt would help? I've never used one, but I'm willing to try anything to not go though that again.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Personal Trainer or Physical Therapist? Be careful with Personal Trainers, not all are created equal and many couldn't find good form if it hit them in the face. You may consider going to a Sports Med doctor or Physical Therapist. I'm not sure about scoliosis and deadlifting, you should find out more about it and how it affects your exercise.