At Home Lifting

Options
52cardpickup
52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I've read through a number of threads here to try to find one answering this question, but I've had no luck so far. My apologies if this is a repeat.

I don't have access to a gym (I live in the middle of BF nowhere and can't get to one), so I've been doing Sworkit, NTC and Nike Kinect at home. Mostly body weight stuff, which is fine, but isn't really challenging anymore.

I've recently acquired a set of adjustable dumbbells. I'd really like to start a lifting program. I know that SL5x5 and SS can't be converted into a dumbbell program effectively (they're written the way they are for a reason), so does anyone have any suggestions for dumbbell based progressive lifting programs that are similar to SL5x5?

Eventually I'll be able to get to a gym (January/February), but in the meantime I'd like to start lifting, and I really do better with a program.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Replies

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    DBs are tough cuz progression is tough. T-nation may have some good dumbell programs...
    While not ideal for strength, maybe progressive volume? ach. that's a good question and I'm interested in the replies
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Would you be interested in resistance bands? I can get a pretty good strength workout in from resistance bands right now. I'm sure I will outgrow them at some point, but for a beginner they work pretty good on days I can't get to my gym.
  • Billtrek613
    Options
    My personal opinion, skip the gym and try P90X. The dumbbells are a perfect tool for P90x and if you can keep yourself motivated at home, this is a better deal than the gym. I am not a paid spokeperson for Beachbody, blah blah blah, I just know it works.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    my adjustable dumb bells adjust up to 75 each, with one in each hand would be some decent weight for a beginner, I don't see why you couldn't follow the 5x5 *idea* for direction, but use dumb bells? A lot of the weight lifting sites I visit show dumb bell versions of lifts. It may not be your ideal, but it will work and get you started. There's also a lot you can do with them you can't with a bar, you can get an exercise ball to lay back on for pecs and stuff if you don't have room/money for a bench. As you progress and need more then you can worry about it.
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^^This^^ When I have looked at 5x5, I didn't see anything that could not be adjusted to dumb bells. The olympic size bar is 45 lbs so start with at least 22.5 lbs on each dumb bell and then increase from there. Good luck!
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with Stronglifts 5x5 etc on dumbbells is that you can quickly progress beyond them. But that doesn't mean that you can't use them to start with.

There are a number of at home workouts that use only dumbbells, including P90x. Fitness Blender also has a bunch, as does Jefit. With Jefit you can actually create your own workouts too, which is really nice.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Cathe Friedrich DVD's for many years, she has a great selection of weight resistance workouts. I just don't have time for the gym, so a set of weights, a barbell and a step are all I need to workout at home.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells at home and I do the main lifts...

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bent over row
    Overhead press
    Bench press

I have read that those main lifts are great for us beginners to start with. You can also follow the New Rules of Lifting for Woman or google All Pro's routine at bodybuilding.com. Oh and Fitnessblender is great too.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here is the all-pro beginner program with a few options for dumbbells.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

Highly recommended.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    Here is the all-pro beginner program with a few options for dumbbells.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

Highly recommended.

Hooray, thank you so much!

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions!
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I do body beast with Dumbbells and love it! I've gotten so much stronger in 11 weeks. I have one week left then I'm taking a break and doing it again.