Loose Skin-Suggestions?

Options
In 2008 after gaining serious weight in college I went back to a healthier way of life and monitored my caloric intake, focused on healthy and fresh foods with assistance from my doctor (had to give up my 14 year vegetarian lifestyle for healthy/lean proteins) and implemented a work out schedule into my routine. By October 2010 I had lost 130 pounds and went from a size 24/26 to a size 12/14.

Today I am still that same size 12/14 despite continuing my healthy eating and even much more active lifestyle. In February I started dropping in on Crossfit classes and became a member in March. Since March 15th I have been attending three to four times a week doing three rotations every time and pushing myself, no just getting by here. I thought that adding weight training might tighten and tone but so far I don't really see too much improvement.

Does anyone has any helpful hints, exercises or suggestions for extra skin? My thighs, stomach and arms all have extra skin from the weight loss that of course makes me look bigger and refuses to budge. While I can feel and somewhat see the muscle tone that the last few months have earned me the extra skin leaves me feeling defeated.

Has anyone experienced this extra skin issue with weight loss? Did you find a solution (other than surgical) that worked?

Thanks!

Replies

• melissakolek
    melissakolek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly, surgery is the only way to really get rid of the extra skin. There are laser treatments that help tighten, but they are very expensive and will not get rid of all of it. I to have excess skin issues that make me feel like all the hard work was for nothing and my insurance won't cover the surgery because I am not severe enough of a case.
  • Treejewel19
    Treejewel19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly, surgery is the only way to really get rid of the extra skin. There are laser treatments that help tighten, but they are very expensive and will not get rid of all of it. I to have excess skin issues that make me feel like all the hard work was for nothing and my insurance won't cover the surgery because I am not severe enough of a case.

Thanks for your input. I was afraid of this. It is so defeating! I doubt I am a severe enough case either as it doesn't really impede on motion, which I believe is the criteria. :(
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If the "loose skin" is thicker/softer than the skin on the back of your hand then you have loose fat and not loose skin.

The way to get rid of it is to lose more fat.

Your remaining fat was deposited when you were a much larger circumference and it is preventing the skin from shrinking. Tight looking skin is not tight at all, the interior of the body is a vacuum, if there was no fat between your skin and muscles/organs, your skin would vacuum seal itself to the contents below, loose skin or not.

A lot of overweight people don't want to hear it, but the way to get rid of loose skin is to first get super lean, rock a 6 pack, then gain back up to whatever your target weight is.