Meeting my calorie goal

Options
I have my cal goal set at 1810, but I really struggle meeting it. I'm usually under a lot even on the days I work out. I'm doing well at maintaining my weight but not gaining anything. Any tips on making my goal, without stuffing myself full of "empty" calories?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First off, what are your stats? 1810 seems a little low for gaining, unless of course you are very petite. Not sure what your definition of "empty" calories is, but in my opinion, when gaining as long as you are hitting your macros, I don't think of food in that manner since every calorie has its place and will work with you to help you put on weight. What kinds of foods are you currently eating? If you are close to your goal, try increasing your portion sizes of your current foods. I find increasing carbs helps or adding things like oils, granola, avocados, nuts, nut butters, fuller fat dairy to your meals. Fruit juices also help I find.
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat more calorie dense foods, I was having the same problem trying to meet 3500 calories. Jasmine rice, noodles, and cream of wheat is good for high carbs. Red snapper, turkey, and lean beef is good for high protein. And avocado, nut butters, nuts, and real butter is good for high fats.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "empty calories." I eat super "clean" all day long and meet my micro nutrients and protein and then have a nice big bowl of ice cream at night. Or cereal. Or popcorn. Depends on what sounds good and what best fits my remaining macros for the day while still being yummy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, ice cream....
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're still stuck in a dieting mindset (getting as much nutrition as possible on as few calories), you're going to have to redefine "healthy" in order to gain. Calories have value, in and of themselves. Nothing is an "empty" calorie if it's helping you meet your macros.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Nuts like others have already said....A 99g bag of sweet n salty mix is 490cals.
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm here to lose weight, so by my logic you should eat the things I'm avoiding excess of... peanut butter (1 tbspn = 100 calories+), bananas are high calories for a fruit, avocado (good to add to a salad or on toast), cook with oil rather than one of those "<1 calorie per spray" oil sprays, full fat milk, cheese and yoghurts/fromage frais, etc :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Ugh, I can only drink a glass on Fri and Sat nights...otherwise I'm too groggy when I get up at 4:30 to hit the gym.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Including some more calorie dense foods would be an easy way to boost your calories by a few hundred calories. This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal definition of healthy, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat diary
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Ugh, I can only drink a glass on Fri and Sat nights...otherwise I'm too groggy when I get up at 4:30 to hit the gym.

4:30?? Woww..... :# That is dedication!

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

More and more wine usually solves this. >:)

• my_jennaration
    my_jennaration Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'4" and currently weigh 110 lbs.. the 1800 is where MFP put me? I eat home cooked three meals everyday and I'm not generally left feeling hungry. By "empty' calories I mean things like candy, chips, etc. I have no problem eating those things just don't want to make a habit of it if I can eat something better..( I also have a toddler and try to limit the types of snacks I keep to teach her good eating habits) I really appreciate all the input! I'm new to all this so I don't really know what's high in calories or carbs. I do have a hard time meeting my Carb goal. I like the wine idea! haha
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I'm only 5'4" and currently weigh 110 lbs.. the 1800 is where MFP put me? I eat home cooked three meals everyday and I'm not generally left feeling hungry. By "empty' calories I mean things like candy, chips, etc. I have no problem eating those things just don't want to make a habit of it if I can eat something better..( I also have a toddler and try to limit the types of snacks I keep to teach her good eating habits) I really appreciate all the input! I'm new to all this so I don't really know what's high in calories or carbs. I do have a hard time meeting my Carb goal. I like the wine idea! haha

Well, for reference, I'm 5'6", 130 lbs (was 124 before I started this bulk, and 16% body fat). I'm bulking on 2700 calories and lifting 4x/week, no cardio other than taking a walk at lunch. Not sure if that helps, other than to say that 1800 calories still sounds a bit low if you're trying to gain some weight.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Easy to hit in 5 to 6 small meals a day. What kind of training are you doing? How many times per week do you workout?

For Carbs add Sweet Potatoes (4-6 oz) White Rice (1/2 to 3/4 cup) with 5-6 oz of meat (fish, chicken, ground turkey). Do this 3-4 times per day and eat a big breakfast with oatmeal and eggs. Throw some peanut butter in whey shake as a snack or post workout with a carb powder and you'll be there.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    drepublic wrote: »
    Easy to hit in 5 to 6 small meals a day. What kind of training are you doing? How many times per week do you workout?

For Carbs add Sweet Potatoes (4-6 oz) White Rice (1/2 to 3/4 cup) with 5-6 oz of meat (fish, chicken, ground turkey). Do this 3-4 times per day and eat a big breakfast with oatmeal and eggs. Throw some peanut butter in whey shake as a snack or post workout with a carb powder and you'll be there.

True. It's easier to hit in multiple meals. I kinda graze during the day starting around 11 am and eat around 1500 calories until I leave work at 5 pm. Then I've got 1200 calories to stuff in my body for dinner/after dinner treats!
  • myeshialbennett
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'5 and also 110lbs, looking to gain weight. The calorie goal presented to me by MFP is 2060, and the first couple days I did have a very difficult time meeting said goal. What's helped me is calorie rich snacks. Not to sound like a parrot, but lots of nuts, nut butters, dairy, and the likes. The nutrition bit of the journey tends to take care of itself in that my meals are homecooked and well rounded. I've also made it my mission to eat larger portions at each meal - which was very hard to do because it felt like I was stuffing myself.

If you do partake in the wine idea - please have about 8 glasses for me. Thank you.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you're still stuck in a dieting mindset (getting as much nutrition as possible on as few calories), you're going to have to redefine "healthy" in order to gain. Calories have value, in and of themselves. Nothing is an "empty" calorie if it's helping you meet your macros.

I'm finding this to be true for my bulk. It's hard to wrap my brain around trying to eat more. Last night I had a 180 calorie vanilla porter and I lamented that choice even after I realized I was still well under my goal. I even considered working out again to help offset it.

Definitely a sign I need to bulk/take a diet break.

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and since I've found that out and was able to drink milk again (lactose free) it has helped me a lot in reaching my calories without screwing my macros. I drink fat free so it helps. I drink about 3-4 cups daily, with cereal or a protein powder, it's less filling than food but it adds 400 cals in just the milk, about 200 more with the cereal and protein powder. I'm still very full at the end of the day but it's better than solid food.

By the way, things like peanut butter and guacamole are high in calories but also high in fat. It's hard eating them without screwing up your macros....