Cold and the Gym Conundrum

Options
When it is going to Gym, I am as motivated as they come. But last few days have been difficult due to what is just a regular cold - no fever but very congested nose/head. Today will mark one full week of no weight training, I went to Gym last Thursday when I had initial symptoms but could not bring myself to lift so did a HIIT instead - little tired than usual but I was OK, but since Cold has taken hold and even though I feel much better since this morning I couldn't bring myself to go today.

Any thoughts on how long do you keep 'listening to the body' and worry about being lethargic. I am just worried that I might go off the rails.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Decide you miss the iron so much that you can hardly wait to get back to it. It's a mindset you can decide on having. Hopefully this will prevent you from procrastinating and can help you decipher when you are healthy and ready to go back - as opposed to delaying your comeback tour :disappointed_relieved:
    - (we dont delay the good stuff we are excited about!)
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When it comes to being sick there are two rules I stick by:
    1. If it's an upper respiratory issue, no strenuous exercise.
    2. If I'm contagious, no gym.

Why?
    Because if I can't breathe properly, I can't work out properly. Period.
    Because if I am contagious and huffing and puffing and touching everything in a gym setting, that's just downright inconsiderate.

What do I do instead? I stretch. I massage myself. I do some light body weight stuff to keep me moving. I do what I can to alleviate my symptoms.

However, the fact is if you're sick, you're going to feel a bit lethargic. Fact is if you don't let yourself rest (relatively speaking), it will take you longer to recover. Comes with the package. You haven't even been ill for a full week yet. You will know when you're ready to go full speed again.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Dealing with illness is always frustrating. But, this should just be temporary. Ride it out and get better. Letting your body heal is a very important part of your health overall. Don't even let yourself think about going off track completely. Just DECIDE that you will do what you can now and you'll be good as new in no time!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    As long as I dont have a fever or body aches, I go
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When it comes to being sick there are two rules I stick by:
    1. If it's an upper respiratory issue, no strenuous exercise.
    2. If I'm contagious, no gym.

Definitely follow those two rules. I find a light workout - even just walking outside for a mile or two actually brings up my energy levels and makes me feel better. Some studies show light exercise can boost the immune system even when you are sick.
  • Nirajn123
    Nirajn123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, some very useful suggestions. It is upper respiratory issues and although it is much better not completely gone yet.

I agree with little walks and was thinking of it but it is cold outside and I did not wanted to make it worse - certainly not while it isn't fully gone.

Can't wait for it to end so can go back to gym and usual eating schedule.