Exercise ideas for injured

Options
Evening all,

I broke my leg a couple of months ago and still experience pain when walking and can only walk for short periods of time before I start limping. I want to lose weight and am trying to get started, but exercising is difficult at this point in time. And just so you know I have not gone to physical therapy due to insurance reasons so I can't ask them. Thank you for any input and ideas.

Jessica

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    what about swimming?
  • jcherold
    jcherold Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No access to a pool, very limited in what I can do. Can't join a gym or a pool, so it has to be things that I can do at home or outside. I am stuck.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try adding some weight exercises in....body weight, dumbells or stretchy bands. That will help build muscle. As for cardio----what about one of those bike pedal thingies (I'm sure that's the official name) that you can "pedal" with your arms? That would get your heart rate up until you can bear weight on your leg more comfortably..........
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has more to do with calorie deficit. You can lose weight without exercise. Exercise is for fitness and strength. It also helps to enhance your body. But, if it's weight loss you're concerned with most, you don't need to exercise. You just have to be consistent with calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    shadow boxing, also look at fitnessblender.com I think they have some low impact workouts there that may be suitable

hope your leg gets better soon !
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe try strengthening exercises similar to what you would do in physical therapy - you can probably find them online.

I get what you're going through - it can take awhile to get normal use of your leg back. I broke my leg 3 years ago and during surgery to put my bone together, the main nerve in my leg was cut. I spent 8 months on crutches because of it and still have pain and a limp but it's from nerve pain, not a healing injury so I just deal with it when working out. At your next follow-up with your ortho, I would metion the pain to see if you can find the source so you don't inadvertently re-injure your leg or push yourself too far. If there's no identifiable soyrce of the pain, an EMG can test for nerve damage (you'd have lots of pain all the time if this was the case too)

Some of the exercises from PT I remember are writing the alphabet with my foot, flexing & pointing my toes, walking up and down stairs using my healing leg to step up and down. The exercises sound simple but all the muscles in you leg atrophied while your break was healing and need to be built up again. I hope some of this helps!
  • jcherold
    jcherold Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, there is some useful info. I really appreciate it.