Am i doing this right?

Options
I am 36 F and i am 5'3 weighing in at about 168 and i used my starting weight of 175 to do my calculations.

I am inactive. Very, very sedentary. Occasionally bedridden.

According to iifym.com's calculator my BMR is 1299 and my TDEE is 1299 as well.
I multiplied that by 80% and came up with 1039.

So 1039 should be my calorie goal for the day?

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, wrong.

Your BMR is closer to 1527

With being sedentary, your TDEE is 1814. 20% of that is 362 - which leaves you around 1452 for your day.

Give or take, each site can be a little different - so try a few and look for an average.
    www.iifym.com
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Yep, wrong.

Give or take, each site can be a little different - so try a few and look for an average.

Yeah, this ^^^^ ... according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#top
    Your BMR is 1425
    Your TDEE is 1710
    And -15% is 1453 (-20% is 1368, but since its below your BMR, 15% is the right choice)

:flowerforyou:
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thank you. So not what i wanted to see but thank you.

So far i have just been eating when hungry. I have my calories set at 1000 just because i expected to always go over and then i wouldn't get upset when it happens. I've been under a few times.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    carriebtz wrote: »
    Thank you. So not what i wanted to see but thank you.

So far i have just been eating when hungry. I have my calories set at 1000 just because i expected to always go over and then i wouldn't get upset when it happens. I've been under a few times.
    Way to ask for solid adivce and then just do nothing.

lqh5g5sojo3m.jpg

• CarrieCans
    Options
    Who said i'm doing nothing?

Because i didn't immediately make a change, you are assuming i am doing nothing?

I decided to go eat. Sorry.
  • Lasmartchika
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well, I don't know how you got BMR and TDEE as the same or that number. I went to that website iifym.com, using Mifflin-St Jeor, I put your info, including putting you as COUCH POTATO, and came up with a TDEE of 1707 and BMR of 1423. Now multiply by 85% and you get 1450 as the calories you eat. Never take the percentage off of BMR as that is the amount of calories your body needs to live. You take it off TDEE. I hope this was a better explanation. :smile:

• CarrieCans
    Options
    No wonder i was mentally on a different page. I was literally on a different page.
    I used to macro calculator that first finds your TDEE and then helps you calculate other things. The numbers are way different.

THANKS!!!
  • Lasmartchika
    Options
    LOL!! You're welcome. At least now you don't have to starve yourself with 1000 calories. :blush:
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    Well that's just it. I'm not starving. I'm not even hungry. I haven't been doing anything to get hungry. I've been plugging my calories in expecting to go way over 1000 a day.