Working Out in 3rd Floor Apartment

Options
2»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, although we do have good insulation in my bldg and my apt is carpeted...I try really hard to be quiet but still do HIIT/Plyo stuff, and I think I'm messing up my feet by landing weird all the time trying not to make noise. So I definitely recommend trying a mat!!
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Adding to what everyone else said what about running stairs in between exercises.
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem in my divided house with hardwood floors.

I put a big thick carpet down and then my yoga mat. A thick Persian rug really really helps. I figured out where the person downstairs spends the least of her time and set up my home gym there. I also make sure there's nothing around on the shelves that wobbles when I jump. Sometimes instead of jumping jacks (which I find can be pretty noisy) I just run on the spot which is high intensity but seems to be less noisy. If I feel like I need to make up for it I go outside and do a few jumping jacks afterward.

Good luck!
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've had that awkward talk. I live in the upper level of a duplex. My downstairs neighbor and I made an agreement I could work out right after work between 5:30 and 6:30. It's been working well for us. Try to compromise with their schedule.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Go to the gym.

Sorry but I have to agree with this.

Regardless of how "quiet" you think you're being you're still jumping around and making noise. Buying some sort of a mat isn't going to lessen the noise you're making. Also remember that it's not just your downstairs neighbor who is effected by the noise but the neighbors next to you as well. If you're intent on working out in your apartment then I would have a conversation with your neighbors. If they say that the noise will bother them then please, respect it, don't work out in the apartment and join a gym.

I used to live in an second floor apartment that had hard wood floors and I was always very conscious of the noise that I made when I walked around and I never would have thought to do any exercise that had me jumping up and down.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Step aerobics would be quieter, lower impact but still have the intensity. Put the step bench on an exercise mat to dull the noise further.

Cathe has a whole series of low impact DVDs....and she's not easy by any stretch.

http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=cathe+low+impact
    '

How is step aerobics quieter and lower impact? I have a step at home that I use with a video every now and then and it's quite noisy.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I lived in a 2nd floor apartment, I would try to do it, no later then 9pm. I wouldn't do it after that as I knew I was probably making noise. I never had complaints against me though. (To this day I am convinced the person above me had a herd of elephants and a bowling alley up there as that's what it sounded like!)

If you know them, maybe just explain what you are doing and they might understand.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Try out Convict Conditioning. Progressive BW exercises. Most bang for your buck time wise, and without banging the neighbors... ceiling :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Go to the gym.

Grow up!

??????