Protien to Carb ratio

Options
I was watching the biggest loser last week and they had this cooking challenge for the teams where the winner got a reward of some kind. The judge was a well known chef and he made his decision on the best dish by comparing the carb to protein ratio and the dish that won had a 1to1 ratio. My question is how many of you try to follow this as a general diet rule? Personally i've been able to lose a lot of weight by being eating more protein so my ratio is like 3 to1

Replies

• Richardlaing1
    Richardlaing1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to any ratio. I count calories like a religion to make sure I'm on budget but all I watch is that I'm getting enough fiber and protein. And as far as how much protein IMO that varies person to person.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a "balanced diet" 33/33/34 C/P/F ??
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to ratios. I aim to get at least 30g of protein per meal, so if I eat a third of my protein each meal then I generally wind up also eating ~1/3rd of my carb intake as well just based on food choice. But it can easily be 2:1 for carbs:protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I try to keep my protein over 105 grams, and usually build in some extra (my macro percentage technically comes to 120 g, I think). The result is that my protein carb ratio ends up 3-4 or sometimes closer to 1-1, although I don't worry about it much. So I usually make sure my meals are pretty balanced protein, carb, and fat, although I don't worry if one particular one is lop-sided.

Breakfast is often one where people eat a more carbs and don't get the protein just based on many of the traditional foods, so I can see focusing more on protein there. I feel less hungry all day if I have a balanced breakfast vs. a super carby one, and plus I like not to have to feel like I'm making up the lower protein the rest of the day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for me...just me...only me...(as in I am not advising you to do it) and from a purely satiety approach, I aim for fat then protein and try to limit carbs to those I get from green leafy veggies, fage full fat yogurt and heavy cream for my coffee. From a healthy approach, I actually do the same but make sure I get in that broccoli and spinach. While getting the fat I want, usually the protein comes with it to a great extent. So, I guess I dont get worried about a carb to protein ratio.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I would never follow a rule put out by a show the deceives it's viewers the way they do

+1

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I was told for years to make sure I ate equal protein to carb ratios for my reactive hypoglycemia. That didn't work out too well for me.

I'm a firm believer in what works for one body won't necessarily work for another. 1:1 could be a very good ratio for some.
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback i was just curious what others thought. I'm not looking at that show as gospel but i have learned a few things from watching.
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yea I'd say don't pay any attention to ratios or calories. Find a good macronutrient profile that works best for you and stick with that. Depending on what your goal is, generally weight loss is low(er) carb high protein, weight gain would be high(er) fat, high carb, and high protein
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    brcossette wrote: »
    I'm not looking at that show as gospel

That's a good thing. :)

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yea I'd say don't pay any attention to ratios or calories. Find a good macronutrient profile that works best for you and stick with that. Depending on what your goal is, generally weight loss is low(er) carb high protein, weight gain would be high(er) fat, high carb, and high protein

no. It's all about calories. Macronutrients make up calories. If you just "eat low" in a certain macronutrient this does not guarantee that you will be eating at a deficit in any way.

Weight loss is lower calorie. Weight maintenance and gain is higher calorie.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I've found most people do well on a 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat split, especially if they are doing weight training. The body needs protein to rebuild and maintain lean mass, and one of the biggest myths around is that people want to lose "weight". What they really mean is they want to lose body fat. Muscle is functional, it's harder to get and keep as you age, so be sure your diet supports muscle maintenance and encourages fat loss (which a lower carb percentage assists with.)

• Dave198lbs
    Options

no, no and another no.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've never seen the show. I try to eat less fat. I try to eat more protein and fiber. My carbs tend to work themselves out. I don't do a ratio thing - I'd go bonkers trying to balance out every meal. I should eat less fat and more protein, so I'm working on that.

It really isn't necessary to balance every meal, though. Take a look at the day and the week to know how you're doing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I've never seen the show. I try to eat less fat. I try to eat more protein and fiber. My carbs tend to work themselves out. I don't do a ratio thing - I'd go bonkers trying to balance out every meal. I should eat less fat and more protein, so I'm working on that.

It really isn't necessary to balance every meal, though. Take a look at the day and the week to know how you're doing.

and I try to eat more fat (while staying in a deficit) and that sums it up....there is no "one way" to get where you are going