Joining the Y to start lifting... routine suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    one more question too... how many net calories should I eat in order to not loose muscle but still burn off the fat? right now I'm logging around 1300 ish net because I eat back my exercise cals... is that enough to prevent loosing muscle?

????

need to know height, weight and activity level to give any sort of advice re cal intake.

And SL or starting strength would be my choice.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I have a similar lean body mass the same as a guy?? I don't want to look manly :tongue:
    Or I may look femine :blushing: .

To be fair, of my many problems, that's not one of them ;).

However, to get to your goal weight of 145lb you will HAVE to have less than 140lb of lean body mass - otherwise you would be at 3.5% body fat, which I believe is pretty much dead for a woman.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better (or seems easier to hit) the ACSM recommends 1.2-1.8 grams protein/kilogram of (total) body weight for athletes. Studies have shown no benefit to consuming more protein than that. I like that range better because for me 154lbs/2.2 lb per kg=70kg so 84g on the bottom end and 126g protein on the top end vs shooting for a static 124 grams (my lean mass) each day. It makes my life easier and less stressful. When you go to the Y they'll give you 3 sessions with a personal trainer (you may have to ask it's called fit start or something like that) the trainer will walk you through all the equipment. Let them know you are interested in lifting with free weights and they will help you out with form and equipment and help you set up a program. You can also use any of the programs listed above and still ask the trainer to check your form/show you the equipment. Best of luck!