flu like symptons after weight lifting

Options

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    KaciWood19 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are getting a dip in your immune function because of the stress of the exercise (any kind of stress, either physical or mental can cause it). You are probably overdoing it. Really, unless/until you are very well-conditioned, you shouldn't be doing any more than three half-hour weight sessions a week. (Some trainers would say that you don't need any more than that ever--although others would disagree.) How much are you doing? Do you combine it with a cardio warm-up? (5 to 10 minutes).

No cardio warm up. The day in question, I did chest and tri's. I repped the bar 10 times to warm up then benched 55lbs (8 reps, 3 times) then moved on to incline bench, skull crushers, tri pulldown, tri kickbacks, and chest flys. From there I did a half hour on the elliptical.

Maybe start out a bit slower? That sounds like about a 75 minute workout. "first day back" (and, if you've only been to the gym four times since July, all four days were "first day back" shouldn't be more than about 30 minutes, IMHO. Heck, even 30 minutes on an elliptical might be too much for a first day. Starting out, do either strength (warming up as you were) or cardio, but not both. Ramp slowly for the first couple of weeks until your body adjusts.

BTW, do you do any in-home workouts? If home workouts don't cause issues, but the gym does, then that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.

This is not the stupidest post in this thread, but it is close

There's a way to disagree without being an offensive as$. Which claims do you disagree with? Caffeine is known to be diuretic in high doses. And brownish urine is known to be a potentially bad medical sign, especially post-exercise.

OP - your coffee intake is fine.

But name calling is OK? Coffee has more than caffeine in it, it has water too...

OP never said her urine was brown.

1.) I never said that coffee doesn't have fluid in it, but OP said that she lives on coffee and that would seem to indicate a very high caffeine intake. As it is, her caffeine intake would not appear to be excessive. 2.) I suggested that OP get to a doc IF her urine was brown. 3.) And just judging a post to be "stupid" and not picking a point that you disagree with, does nothing to further a civilized discussion. Why are you being so rude? Everything I said is correct. I'm trying to help OP--are you?

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    KaciWood19 wrote: »
    If you are drinking a LOT of coffee, the caffeine could be dehydrating you and screwing up your electrolytes. One of the posters mentioned a lack of magnesium and that will definitely cause muscles to be very sore and crampy. Too much caffeine can cause a large dump of magnesium and other macro-minerals. What about switching to water with added lemon or dilute fruit juice, for some of your fluid intake? When you say that your urine is "darker" do you mean darker yellow (dehydration) or brown? Dark yellow is normal when one is dehydrated. Tea-colored or dark brown/reddish brown is abnormal and should be investigated by a doc.

Do you consider 1 small coffee, 1 medium coffee, a tea, and possibly another coffee a lot?

No. It does not appear to be excessive. But some people have a bad reaction to caffeine while others can drink it all day with no problem.

• SanteMulberry
    Options

There's a way to disagree without being an offensive as$. Which claims do you disagree with? Caffeine is known to be diuretic in high doses. And brownish urine is known to be a potentially bad medical sign, especially post-exercise.

But name calling is OK? Coffee has more than caffeine in it, it has water too...

1.) I never said that coffee doesn't have fluid in it, but OP said that she lives on coffee and that would seem to indicate a very high caffeine intake. As it is, her caffeine intake would not appear to be excessive. 2.) I suggested that OP get to a doc IF her urine was brown. 3.) And just judging a post to be "stupid" and not picking a point that you disagree with, does nothing to further a civilized discussion. Why are you being so rude? Everything I said is correct. I'm trying to help OP--are you?

The post was stupid. Should I put on kid gloves for you?

Rude is subjective

You did not say IF. You are trying to change your argument

What amount of coffee would one have to drink to become dehydrated? (Hint: not possible)

No--it was not stupid. The "IF" would have been assumed by anyone who read the post. I KNOW that OP never said that her urine was brown--I was merely supplying information in case it WAS. I am really NOT trying to be argumentative which apparently YOU are. Rude is NOT subjective and I am not the only one who thought you were being rude.

One could easily become dehydrated "living on coffee". There is little to no sodium in it and in the absence of a sufficient quantity of "real" food, the individual could easily become dehydrated (as well as having other electrolyte issues). You are incorrect.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Rude is subjective

What amount of coffee would one have to drink to become dehydrated? (Hint: not possible)

No--it was not stupid. The "IF" would have been assumed by anyone who read the post. I KNOW that OP never said that her urine was brown--I was merely supplying information in case it WAS. I am really NOT trying to be argumentative which apparently YOU are. Rude is NOT subjective and I am not the only one who thought you were being rude.

One could easily become dehydrated "living on coffee". There is little to no sodium in it and in the absence of a sufficient quantity of "real" food, the individual could easily become dehydrated (as well as having other electrolyte issues). You are incorrect.

Rude is subjective.

He's not being rude but you are being argumentative.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    jmhunter82 wrote: »
    can't the rapid release of cortisol make you feel like you have the flu?

Yes, indirectly.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Rude is subjective

Rude is subjective.

Oh--he asks me if I have autism and that is not rude? And I defend myself from rude attacks and I am being "argumentative". Sure.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Rude is subjective

Did you take living on coffee literally? Do you have autism?

No--how nice of you to ask.

• SanteMulberry
    Options

Rude is subjective

Rude is subjective.

Thank you, I think she is trying to goad me into a fight for some reason.

And how is it that you think I am a "she"?

• SanteMulberry
    Options
    And I would suggest that it is you who are trying to goad me.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Rude is subjective

Rude is subjective.

Your profile................

And why would you creep my profile?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Rude is subjective

Rude is subjective.

So I could show you the respect of referring to you as the correct gender

Mmm--so you could show respect by referring to me with the correct pronoun, but be completely disrespectful otherwise. How nice of you.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Rude is subjective

Rude is subjective.

So I could show you the respect of referring to you as the correct gender

Mmm--so you could show respect by referring to me with the correct pronoun, but be completely disrespectful otherwise. How nice of you.

Lady, just stop.
    You're annoyed with him and calling him rude. Just stop engaging him and walk away from this thread.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm getting sick after I work out hard for a few days straight. This is because your immune system is weaker resulting from the breakdown of tissue and the exertion... and possibly elevated core temperature. You'll find that with drinking more water and sleeping more... you'll reduce this feeling.

Wouldn't a weakened immune system result in a smaller immune response instead of larger?

That would be context dependent. Speaking in general terms, a weakened immune system is not as capable of repair and fending off disease. So in that sense the response is smaller (lower magnitude). On the other hand, whatever job needs doing takes longer, if it is capable of finishing at all. So you'll be feeling the effects of the immune response + existing damage/illness longer. In that sense the response is larger (chronic vs acute).